Nightforce Scopes.....Amazing !!!

robbobsam

I was out hunting last night with my Tikka Super Varmint and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56, I am new to centerfire and after seeing the guy on You-Tube with his incredibly long range hunting shots (1800yds) I decided against the Swaro or Zeis scope and went for the nightfoce instead. Am I glad I did.

I made a drop chart guide in 10m increments and purchased a Nikon 1200 rangefinder to help me range targets accurately and I was away.

The first thing I did was zero the rifle and with Norma 75grain Vmax tipped shells I managed to get 100yd 1" groups. I zero'd my turrets and found a quiet spot in a hedgerow and waited for the foxes and bunnies to show.

The first customer was a bunny at 220yds, I checked my chart, dialled the nightforce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

The second customer was a bunny at 50yds. I checked my charts, dialled the nightfoce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

This continued all evening with bunnies and crows showing at ranges between 50-450yds and each time the nightforce dialled in every time perfectly.

Just as dusk was upon me charlie showed at 375yds in the opposite hedgerow, I carried out the same scope adjustments with the charts and took the shot. I took charlie with a perfect chest shot, inch perfect as per my aim.

In total I took over 20 bunnies and 1 fox with no misses.

I returned home and cleaned the gun and the following day I returned to the target to check the zero. I reset the nightforce to the previous days settings and tried the gun for accuracy to see if it returned to the previous days accuracy even though I had been dialling the scope up and down the following evening and to my amazment the scope put 3 bullets in a perfect clover leaf on the 15mm bull at 100yds.

Nightforce may not be as clear or bright as zeis or swaro, but I wouldnt swap my nightfoce for any other scope on the market.

Edit/Delete Message

I'm not quite sure what I make of the write up really, saw it on the stalking directory earlier and still don't know. First you've next to no rifle experience, secondly you're splatting rabbits with a .243 over ranges that most experienced shots would find tricky and then you're taking reasonably long range foxes having only used the gun for 20 rounds. I've no idea what to make of it certainly sounds like you're one hell of a marksman or one hell of an enthusiastic creative writer, then there is the slight issue you've just blown £30 on factory ammo shooting rabbits

Edited by al4x

I'm not quite sure what I make of the write up really, saw it on the stalking directory earlier and still don't know. First you've next to no rifle experience, secondly you're splatting rabbits with a .243 over ranges that most experienced shots would find tricky and then you're taking reasonably long range foxes having only used the gun for 20 rounds. I've no idea what to make of it certainly sounds like you're one hell of a marksman or one hell of an enthusiastic creative writer, then there is the slight issue you've just blown £30 on factory ammo shooting rabbits

Blimey. That reply is not in the normal spirit of these forums.

He's only just joined here and yes there are some points like the .243 rabbit shooting, but he's knew to centre fire too. I am sure there's a nicer way of puttng things across.

I think if people get attacked about their posts, they won't come back.

Assuming everything he wrote was true,(not saying it is or isn't)...what's to stop you say adjusting a schmidt and bender/zeiss whatever to allow for the drop of the bullet? And then after the shot just click the scope back to it's origional setting? And you'd still have the low light capability?

Reply quick as I'm charging off to buy a nightforce :blink:

I was out hunting last night with my Tikka Super Varmint and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 56, I am new to centerfire and after seeing the guy on You-Tube with his incredibly long range hunting shots (1800yds) I decided against the Swaro or Zeis scope and went for the nightfoce instead. Am I glad I did.

I made a drop chart guide in 10m increments and purchased a Nikon 1200 rangefinder to help me range targets accurately and I was away.

The first thing I did was zero the rifle and with Norma 75grain Vmax tipped shells I managed to get 100yd 1" groups. I zero'd my turrets and found a quiet spot in a hedgerow and waited for the foxes and bunnies to show.

The first customer was a bunny at 220yds, I checked my chart, dialled the nightforce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

The second customer was a bunny at 50yds. I checked my charts, dialled the nightfoce and aimed dead center. DEAD BUNNY.

This continued all evening with bunnies and crows showing at ranges between 50-450yds and each time the nightforce dialled in every time perfectly.

Just as dusk was upon me charlie showed at 375yds in the opposite hedgerow, I carried out the same scope adjustments with the charts and took the shot. I took charlie with a perfect chest shot, inch perfect as per my aim.

In total I took over 20 bunnies and 1 fox with no misses.

I returned home and cleaned the gun and the following day I returned to the target to check the zero. I reset the nightforce to the previous days settings and tried the gun for accuracy to see if it returned to the previous days accuracy even though I had been dialling the scope up and down the following evening and to my amazment the scope put 3 bullets in a perfect clover leaf on the 15mm bull at 100yds.

Nightforce may not be as clear or bright as zeis or swaro, but I wouldnt swap my nightfoce for any other scope on the market.

Edit/Delete Message

How many crows did you shoot at 450 yds.?

Andy

Blimey. That reply is not in the normal spirit of these forums.

He's only just joined here and yes there are some points like the .243 rabbit shooting, but he's knew to centre fire too. I am sure there's a nicer way of puttng things across.

I think if people get attacked about their posts, they won't come back.

I guess I was feeling sceptical with the number of trolls that have been about, have a think about 1" grouping and what it gives at 450 yards and a rabbit is a mighty small target. Could be some cracking shooting but I've known people been shooting 40 years who couldn't do 450 yards with factory ammo on rabbits. I know I couldn't but I'm a comparative newbie

iv already answered this on the stalking directory thats why nightforce got sold **** in low light

Each to their own, but I have a Nightforce and I think it is the muts dangley's. My friend has a has a S and B and prefers the nightforce, my Nikon is great but the reiticle is rubbish for long range grouping (not important, just frustrating).

20 years experiance and I do not regret the money spent.

Also, if you had told be 15 years ago (when I was shooting a Parker Hale .243 0'd at 80 yards) that in the future I would be shooting foxes at up to 400 yards at night and regulary shooting them 200 yards away running flat out, I would of laughed at you, yet thats what I am doing?

Edited by Dempy

Each to their own, but I have a Nightforce and I think it is the muts dangley's. My friend has a has a S and B and prefers the nightforce, my Nikon is great but the reiticle is rubbish for long range grouping (not important, just frustrating).

20 years experiance and I do not regret the money spent.

Also, if you had told be 15 years ago (when I was shooting a Parker Hale .243 0'd at 80 yards) that in the future I would be shooting foxes at up to 400 yards at night and regulary shooting them 200 yards away running flat out, I would of laughed at you, yet thats what I am doing?

Shooting running foxes at 200 yards? :blink:

Night or daytime :blink:

You see? :good:

At night, my friend who lamps for me still does'nt believe it now, the first time we did it, I took the shot out of spite because it was a light shy dog we had been after for a long time.

Since then it has become quite common, this shooting from a stool in the back of a pickup off of a bipod with the 22.250.

Now I know there will be a lot who doubt what I am saying because a few years ago I would'nt of believed it myself, but I am 35 year old proffesional man with no point to prove or nothing to lie about.

I cant shoot 147 at snooker or run the 100m in under 10 seconds but there are people who can.

Just give some thought to how fast a 22.250 round is, if you got a good rest and you are moving comfortably, it is'nt that shocking, you havent got to give it a "5 bar gate"!

As I said in my first post, if somebody said it tom a few years ago I would of laughed, but over 300 foxes in two years would of been un heard of when we were chasing them in series two land rover with a gauge!

Next time you got one that wont stop and you have a safe shot, give it a try, you might suprise yourself!

Anybody here from Dorset?

the first time we did it, I took the shot out of spite because it was a light shy dog we had been after for a long time.

Not exactly respecting your quarry is it, taking a chancer at a moving animal. Whatever happened to ensuring a quick, confident kill?

Back on the OP's topic, I think al4x was possibly bemused by the fact the guy felt the need to post the same thing on a lot of different forums. Personally, I can see little point in shooting rabbits with a CF, LR or HMR will do the job and leave you a meal for your trouble (I'm guessing the 220yard wasn't a head shot anyway)

Not exactly respecting your quarry is it, taking a chancer at a moving animal. Whatever happened to ensuring a quick, confident kill?

Back on the OP's topic, I think al4x was possibly bemused by the fact the guy felt the need to post the same thing on a lot of different forums. Personally, I can see little point in shooting rabbits with a CF, LR or HMR will do the job and leave you a meal for your trouble (I'm guessing the 220yard wasn't a head shot anyway)

:blink: Do you wait for every pigeon to land?

Do you kill every one with the first shot?

I wound very little and I have only ever one fox that I shot at wounded get away so that he could not be dispatched.

Of course I respect my quarry

You respect nothing if you shoot at running targets!! period. ???

How can you determine absolute accuracy if its running?? thats correct you cant so don't take those shots mate or you will cause your quarry to suffer, secondly you might just swing your rifle into a something that could end up with you in jail.. ???

If I was your Flo i'd have your ticket on my desk by the morning buddy, this is England not Russia!!

The PM

Edited by pigeon master

You respect nothing if you shoot at running targets!! period. ???

How can you determine absolute accuracy if its running?? thats correct you cant so don't take those shots mate or you will cause your quarry to suffer, secondly you might just swing your rifle into a something that could end up with you in jail.. ???

If I was your Flo i'd have your ticket on my desk by the morning buddy, this is England not Russia!!

The PM

Lmao, first off, you are shooting at pigeons with a scatter gun is a lot more likley to result in an injured animal, you are checking sevral pellets at it, if just one hits, that bird can fly off and suffer.

If you shoot at a running fox with one large bullet, it is very much hit or miss, you hit it the fox with a 55 grain ballistic bullet, it is very unlikley you are not going to do enough damage to stop it, if you think with any logic at all, you would figure this out for yourself.

Second, who are you to judge me as being unsafe? You do not know what circumstances I would take this shot under, I am not shooting them running in a kids park BUDDIE, if you are shotting at a fox running on land you know against a back drop, how in any world is that unsafe?

And third, I have seen ***** given rifles who can not shoot for **** that have hit deer in the ****!

You really should think of some logic before you start typing BUDDIE!

Dont tell me, been shooting for 1 maybe three years?

Read all the books, got all the mazagines?

"Shooting, my main thing is accuracy, I hate people in our sport who risk injury to increase the bag when shooting for pleasure, for me its not about that. I do understand that people who are dealing with plagues of vermin have to live by other rules though, however a good clean shot should always be our first goal!"

This Quote is taken from your profile, I respect my quarry and I would never take a shot like this on a deer, it would be pointless and stupid, but I have just had 2000 pheasant delivered and will have another 2000 next week, if I got a chance to take out Charlie, I am gonna take it.

Edited by Dempy

Buddy!! lol im glad that will never be the case...

First of all I started shooting at the age of 7, I joined HM forces at 18 and spent most of career as a sniper within recce until the age of 30, I have shot with a Shotgun most of my life so I would suggest to you its a little more experience than a few weeks!!

I tell you what you should do...call your FLO and tell him you shoot at running targets whilst looking through a rifle scope at night!! haha ???

I don't think you'll have your ticket very long fella!!

If you think that a bullet striking a leg or many other parts other of a fox will kill it outright then this alone proves your minimal knowledge,people like you frustrate the hell out me with your lack of respect for your quarry.

The PM

Edited by pigeon master

Buddy!! lol im glad that will never be the case...

First of all I started shooting at the age of 7, I joined HM forces at 18 and spent most of career as a sniper within recce until the age of 30, I have shot with a Shotgun most of my life so I would suggest to you its a little more experience than a few weeks!!

I tell you what you should do...call your FLO and tell him you shoot at running targets whilst looking through a rifle scope at night!! haha ???

I don't think you'll have your ticket very long fella!!

If you think that a bullet striking a leg or many other parts other of a fox will kill it outright then this alone proves your minimal knowledge,people like you frustrate the hell out me with your lack of respect for your quarry.

The PM

I didnt say it will kill it outright if it hit it in the leg, I said it would more than likley stop it, that is enough, because then I would despatch with the bill hook under the seat of our pick up.

Show me the law, you show me where it says you can shoot at a moving target with a rifle and I will stop doing it.

I think this post is so far away from its initial topic.... however I'll say this, common sense should tell you not to shoot at moving targets with any rifle whilst looking through a magnified scope at night!!

PUTTING YOUR MOUTH OVER THE END OF YOUR BARREL AND PULLING THE TRIGGER ISNT ILEGAL EITHER!!!

End of post!!

I think this post is so far away from its initial topic.... however I'll say this, common sense should tell you not to shoot at moving targets with any rifle whilst looking through a magnified scope at night!!

PUTTING YOUR MOUTH OVER THE END OF YOUR BARREL AND PULLING THE TRIGGER ISNT ILEGAL EITHER!!!

End of post!!

You are posting on the wrong boards mate, I think if you look, you will find a forum for anti's. get a life!

You are posting on the wrong boards mate, I think if you look, you will find a forum for anti's. get a life!

Your anti safe thats for sure!! :P

your retort is because I have a passion to ensure what I kill is killed humanely!! is that wrong then?? or does that make every gun with those values anti?? :D

I know after being a member on this forum for over 6 years most of the PW members share that passion for SAFETY and ACCURACY!! :D

It saves lives and ensures shooting will be enjoyed by our children's children! :yp:

Go and tell your wild stories on another forum mate because the PW members have heard them all before!! haha ??? ??? :yes:

Regular 200 yard sprinting foxes at night...haha OH DEAR!! :hmm::lol: :lol:

What a guy who doesn't give a toss where his bullet hits the target...a real ambassador for shooting :yp:

The PM

Regular 200 yard sprinting foxes at night...haha OH DEAR!!

Yet another big headed arogant person, who thinks he knows the capabilities of himself and everyone else.

"I can not do that, therefore nobody else can"

And will you stop banging on about it being so unsafe, if you continue with that argumant you are going to be arguing with half of the rifle shooting world, running quarry is not a uncommon thing, people shoot running boar, deer big african game and the list goes on.

It is your opion and I dont care!