release months

hi guys had a bit of a set to with a mate today about the months for the release of pheasant and partridge ill not say the months as it will pee him off when i show him and i know if there is anywhere to show him its here

cheers guys

sam :unsure:

I know of two shoots who release pheasant poults at 8 weeks in the last week of June so they are theoretically full tailed, mature birds for 1st October.

Normal practice I understand is to release pheasant and partridge at the same time, but the partridge are trickled out and the pheasants are all put to wood in one go.

Edited by WGD

I know of two shoots who release pheasant poults at 8 weeks in the last week of June so they are theoretically full tailed, mature birds for 1st October.

Normal practice I understand is to release pheasant and partridge at the same time, but the partridge are trickled out and the pheasants are all put to wood in one go.

Exactly the reason we had some poults in last week.

We will then be able to shoot partridge through September and go on to mixed pheasant and partridge days from 1st October with the pheasants being mature enough to be sporting birds.

The pure pheasant drives will not start till very end of October and therefore the poults will not be released until July.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Sam,

July/August is usual with the partridges trickle relesed after harvest.

This is just a personal thing but the earlier they go in the more dogging in i have to do.

same hear sllowly release the phesant followed slowly by the partridge,

• 1 month later...

Hi new to this forum..........

I used to release mine end of July but last year through error I had to release end of August - I had the best year ever. This year I released my birds at the begining of this month............

IME the later you release the better - will so how it goes this year - all good so far but only been down a week or so.