Help Shooting Off Sticks Pleae?

Frenchieboy

Ok Guys now that I can get into some serious Fox Control on my own and the crops and grass are getting too long to shoot off the bipod I need to start learning to shoot off the sticks! I have a set of "telescopic" sticks that I made and I really need to start learning to use them.

I have never shot off "sticks" before so does anyone want to offer ant help, advice, hints or tips that might help me on my way to improve my shooting please?

Edited by Frenchieboy

Depends on the number of legs!

I use a bipod pair of sticks as being the most useable. There are other IMO more complicated stick arrangements, 3 poles and some of 4 but I find them too cumbersome for stalking use. The general idea is that a triangle is one of the most rigid structures (engineers may comment here) so if standing use your body as the 3rd leg and lean into the poles and lean them in to your body. Make sure they are set at the right height for you as you'll not want to be changing them when a shot presents itself. You should find that you can achieve an almost rock steady hold of your rifle. DO NOT rest the barrel on the sticks but the fore end.

Another tip...The most common problem when aiming a rifle 'freehand or off sticks (especially if not positioned right) is 'shake'. you start to describe a figure '8' around the POI. To cancel out 50% of your error try this; your target area is the centre point, aim at 12 o clock and move down to 6 o clock through the target area and back up. As you bring the crosshairs through the centre target area squeeze the trigger. Hope that's a clear as mud.

Hi Frenchieboy.

By far, my set of shooting sticks bought earlier this year was the best accessory i have bought for the rifle. I went to the Sportsman and paid £27.99 for a tri-pod set of X3Mi ( i think thats the brand). Ive had the bi pod set before with 2 legs, but having the 3rd leg to lean into make the shot 99% sturdy.

If i go out for rabbits now, and end with a bag of say 10, 7 would be off the sticks as otherwise invisible on the rifle bipod. :)

Best investment ive made.

Good luck

BB

seting the legs to the right height for you is a great idea for range practice!! For the field always set them a bit too long and just step back slightly to reduce the height. I find it easier to support the but with my left hand rather than put it on the stock. The best thing is just get out there and practice practice.

Dave

I avoid it if i can and prefer to shoot out the truck hatch, i have found if i pick my spot after doing the homework charlie at some point will wander past B) However there is the odd situation i use a tripod fishing rest and i hold my breath once on the target with my left hand on forend of stock and pod whilst pulling the Rifle into my shoulder i find a little squeeze helps to make it more stable, I did try some target shooting off sticks at 150 yards and the results convinced me not to try it again :)

Thanks all for your help and advice. I've just been out for a walk about with the .222 at the old quarry where I usually do my zeroing. I took my sticks and had a go at a target. I am finding that I am getting more movement when standing than I would like giving me a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 yards but in the kneeling position I can retain just over an inch group, which I am happy with! :)

I feel that the problem with the standing position is in the positioning of my feet/legs. Is there a "favourable way of standing when shooting of the sticks to make your body more "stable"? B)

Any thoughts please?

I feel that the problem with the standing position is in the positioning of my feet/legs. Is there a "favourable way of standing when shooting of the sticks to make your body more "stable"? :)

Any thoughts please?

For right handers, left foot forward and lean into the rest whilst pulling it towards you making a brace with the Rifle, err did that come out so you catch my drift B)

Concentration, i find that if i'm tired or a little lack lustre then it shows, BADLY! and i tend to not bother and put the gun away.

But once i'm in the "zone" so to speak then everything seems to come together, body balanced, feet apart, upper body leaning into the stick lightly, controlled breathing etc.. good luck with it and don't give up, remember, nobody was ever any good at this when they first started, It's all down to builing up a technique.

The most rigid position is definitely a tri-pod.

Use two sticks at least your own height joined at the top with a piece of inner tube or some such method.

Then get a length of half inch or more rope, I use an old kiddies skipping rope, at least three foot longer than your sticks, Splice a loop on each end.

Carry the sticks with both loops over the top of the sticks, when wanting to shoot, drop one loop and stand on it, brace your two sticks in the usual way and lean into your Triangle of two sticks and one rope - rock solid.

The rope can also be used as a drag rope for Deer and alsorts of other uses.

Use two sticks at least your own height joined at the top with a piece of inner tube or some such method.

Then get a length of half inch or more rope, I use an old kiddies skipping rope, at least three foot longer than your sticks, Splice a loop on each end.

Carry the sticks with both loops over the top of the sticks, when wanting to shoot, drop one loop and stand on it, brace your two sticks in the usual way and lean into your Triangle of two sticks and one rope - rock solid.

This is the method I use.

Surprisingly effective. :oops::no:

Depends on the number of legs!

I use a bipod pair of sticks as being the most useable. There are other IMO more complicated stick arrangements, 3 poles and some of 4 but I find them too cumbersome for stalking use. The general idea is that a triangle is one of the most rigid structures (engineers may comment here) so if standing use your body as the 3rd leg and lean into the poles and lean them in to your body. Make sure they are set at the right height for you as you'll not want to be changing them when a shot presents itself. You should find that you can achieve an almost rock steady hold of your rifle. DO NOT rest the barrel on the sticks but the fore end.

Another tip...The most common problem when aiming a rifle 'freehand or off sticks (especially if not positioned right) is 'shake'. you start to describe a figure '8' around the POI. To cancel out 50% of your error try this; your target area is the centre point, aim at 12 o clock and move down to 6 o clock through the target area and back up. As you bring the crosshairs through the centre target area squeeze the trigger. Hope that's a clear as mud.

I too find when shooting from the sticks and even more so free hand, it is easier to start low and come up through the target slowly, I have watched a lot of people try to stay steady and longer it takes to take the shot the harder it gets. espeically when you have a heavey barrelled remi 700 with a t8 on it) :oops:

pavman was spot on in his description of feet position i also find that hesitating over the target does make you wobble around .when i am aiming i follow the target through deep breath and as soon as the cross hair is on the target i squeze the trigger no waiting around the more you hesitate the worse groups you will get and abit of practice on paper and you will get the hang of it. i also like fox using sticks as they have a nice fluid motion easy to follow again once cross hair is on position squeze

Get or make a pair of Austrian Sticks (4 legged) they are rock steady.

I've never heard of these before. With 4 legs isn't that making things a bit more "complicated"?

How do they work with 4 legs and how easy are they to carry and set up?

I personally believe in "Keep it simple," but everyone to their own!

as above - don't make 'em too short.

i tend to have a slight rock when i shoot off them, so time my shots accordingly!

A piece of rope added to that would make it stable,

just as EMcC has explained here, could not have put it better myself, i use my fore arm hand to push away against where the rifle sits in the v, as steady as you like! :rolleyes:

A piece of rope added to that would make it stable,

that was with my bipod sticks - have recently got a really nice set of Hammers tripod sticks that setup instantly (rather than the awkward third leg coming off the second style), as each leg pivots

off a plate seperately - not had much chance to use them yet.

27e3b939ef84a602fbfce90b1ff5cfb6.jpg

i use the quad sticks, easy to set up when you get the hang off them, have shot things over 200 yards with them no problem

do not have to adjust the legs no nobs to losen and tighten just open the legs wider if you want to use them sitting or kneeling

Edited by midge

1 - Understand that you will NEVER hold it steady.

2 - Learn #1 again

3 - Pull tight into your chest with your left hand, your right just pulls the button!

4 - Don't allow the sticks to touch the rifle, I rest my hand on the sticks - and the rifle on my hand.

For right handers, left foot forward and lean into the rest whilst pulling it towards you making a brace with the Rifle, err did that come out so you catch my drift :angry:

Another tip when using the above is to use your bipod with one leg down and grasp that as well as the stick in one hand, this makes the sticks/bi-pod/rifle all one thing.