What are the symptoms...

Snap Cap

of a turbo on its way out?

I have a Merc sprinter and just recently when you accelerate there is a loud roaring from the engine and distinct lack of power. After a while the noise dies down and the power returns.

I took it to Lancasters and some acne riddled idiot with a clip board said if there is no light lit on the dash then there is no problem and its probably doing something called fuelling and will sort itself out.

Unfortunatly for me it decided it was not going to play ball when I got to lancasters and run "as sweet as a nut" so I could not argue.

Got home, went indoors for a coffee, came back out and it was off again. It sounds like its ready to blow up.

Any ideas chaps. Please Please Please tell me its not the turbo!!!! Googled the price and felt certain parts of my body tighten!

A shot turbo would see you with plooms of horrid oil smoke from the exhaust, trust me, you will know when/if you see it. Think fog machine.

An indication is oil smoke on start-up (this could be other things I know but its a good indicator).

The roaring you mention - is it the normal sound of the engine or a distinctly different one? sure its not just the clutch slipping at times?

Try taking the pipework off the turbo/intercooler and looking for excess oil.

Also, you don't need to have a light on the dash for there to be something wrong with the motor, silly spotted twerp. They can and do record fault codes in the ECU wihtou flagging a light so get the ECU read by a good mechanic. Could be something as simple as a vacume hose.

Edited by 4eyes

Its a completely different sound to the normal noise it makes when accelerating. Its almost like a jet engine, and it tries to hold back like your towing a tank. A couple of mil;es down the road and it back to normal.

Its a 58 plate with over 100 thousand on the clock. There is no warning its going to do it which makes for some interesting experiences when entering a roundabout or slip road onto a motorway.

Definatly no smoke either!

Its a completely different sound to the normal noise it makes when accelerating. Its almost like a jet engine, and it tries to hold back like your towing a tank. A couple of mil;es down the road and it back to normal.

Its a 58 plate with over 100 thousand on the clock. There is no warning its going to do it which makes for some interesting experiences when entering a roundabout or slip road onto a motorway.

Definatly no smoke either!

Yep... that's a split turbo hose..... not cheap, my replacement cost £90... they have to handle incredible pressures.... get it fixed quick though or the fan blades will start to vibrate with the lack of pressure then you will need a new turbo!

Edited by Vipa

ususally when a turbo goes its the bearings and oil leaks past them into the intake, hence the smoke (lots).

However, with what you have said above I would be inclined to say you have a split hose as Vipa suggested.

Follow the hose from the output of the turbo thru the intercooler and into the intake and look for a split in the rubber hose. It may only be blowing open when under load so might be a bit difficult to find but defo worth checking first.

Edited by 4eyes

Yep... that's a split turbo hose..... not cheap, my replacement cost £90... they have to handle incredible pressures.... get it fixed quick though or the fan blades will start to vibrate with the lack of pressure then you will need a new turbo!

What, one bar (app 15psi) is an incredible pressure, I can f**t more than that :( And no, the fan blades will not fall off due to lack of pressure. Check for split / loose hoses and tighten or tape up as nec. Replace hose, if split, as soon as is reasonably convenient.

DO NOT SHOVE YOUR FINGERS UP THE TURBO HOSE INTO THE TURBO WHEN RUNNING. it'll sting a bit :oops: (but if you do put the pics on here) :no:

Before panic mode sets in just check pipes - mate had a Disco 5 and we were out for the day shooting - he picked me up and within a short time had a distinct lack of power and loads of black smoke out back - when we got to shoot he called breakdown and this teenager turned up with breakdown truck - not trusting him they both checked engine and inlet hose was loose - under thiottle it blew off and back off throttle it sucked back on - tighten clamp and it was fine - also heard of same thing on Shogun - mate wasn't impressed as it had a service day before.

Dave

of a turbo on its way out?

I have a Merc sprinter and just recently when you accelerate there is a loud roaring from the engine and distinct lack of power. After a while the noise dies down and the power returns.

I took it to Lancasters and some acne riddled idiot with a clip board said if there is no light lit on the dash then there is no problem and its probably doing something called fuelling and will sort itself out.

Unfortunatly for me it decided it was not going to play ball when I got to lancasters and run "as sweet as a nut" so I could not argue.

Got home, went indoors for a coffee, came back out and it was off again. It sounds like its ready to blow up.

Any ideas chaps. Please Please Please tell me its not the turbo!!!! Googled the price and felt certain parts of my body tighten!

[/quote sounds to me like an air leak check all the pipes to your intercooler and turbo and air filter hope it gets sorted for ya :oops:

also make sure its not a collapsing hose when under load,on the suction side of the turbo.

:good: or a rag getting caught up in the air cleaner or if it has DPD (not worked on a 08 sprinter :yes: ) then may be regeneration cycle, often refered to as 'dieseling' :good::rolleyes:

Edited by Paul223

Before panic mode sets in just check pipes - mate had a Disco 5 and we were out for the day shooting - he picked me up and within a short time had a distinct lack of power and loads of black smoke out back - when we got to shoot he called breakdown and this teenager turned up with breakdown truck - not trusting him they both checked engine and inlet hose was loose - under thiottle it blew off and back off throttle it sucked back on - tighten clamp and it was fine - also heard of same thing on Shogun - mate wasn't impressed as it had a service day before.

Dave

same on my a3...

was on the way to Leeds to work and all power went...started worrying about turbo cost, how to get to Leeds etc..

Engineer came out and it was the turbo hose that had come on...couple of grips and all ok now but will need to get a new one soon