how do i clean a pigeon

gsyshot

I am new to pigeon shooting, first time out will be this weekend, having only been shooting for 2 years. When I shoot a pigeon I have heard that people immediately empty the stomach of the bird to avoid the contents tainting the taste of the meat. Can someone please tell me how this is done.

Thanks[/size]

Hi Gsyshot,

You can empty crop, the lower neck area, where the food sits before being digested as it move down the bird.

You can easily pluck the feathers away and with a sharp knife make a cut above the breast of the bird, any corn / vegetable matter can be pushed out.

I do this to see what the birds are feeding on as much as anything.

Good luck in getting some this weekend.

AndyCM

Many thanks for all youre help, save for the Cillit bang reply they were all very helpful. I dont think the taste would be so nice after a spray with that stuf!!

I may just go down the road of bresting them in the field

Just take some freezer bags, you can give them a wash off when you get home then.

BH

If its hot weather and you're out all day get your birds into some shade and not in a heap. You need to get them cool as they go off quickly. When you've done shooting, just pull enough feathers off the centre of the breast so you can see skin. Break the skin and push it back under the wiings and down the breast bone to expose the meat. With a sharp knife cut the breast front to back along the breast bone and then slice the meat away down to under the wings. Bag the meat, wash off the blood and feathers when you get home. Dispose of the remains thoughtfully.

I am new to pigeon shooting, first time out will be this weekend, having only been shooting for 2 years.  When I shoot a pigeon I have heard that people immediately empty the stomach of the bird to avoid the contents tainting the taste of the meat.  Can someone please tell me how this is done.

Thanks[/size]

Take the breast - like that http://www.skovduer.webbyen.dk/hentfil.asp?hentfil=177517

Happy Newyear........Soren

I am new to pigeon shooting, first time out will be this weekend, having only been shooting for 2 years.  When I shoot a pigeon I have heard that people immediately empty the stomach of the bird to avoid the contents tainting the taste of the meat.  Can someone please tell me how this is done.

Thanks[/size]

Take the breast - like that http://www.skovduer.webbyen.dk/hentfil.asp?hentfil=177517

Happy Newyear........Soren

He made hard work of that!

LB

• 4 weeks later...