bolt action and pump action shotguns

welsh warrior

am thinking of getting one of these types of shotgun. any one ever used one got any tips or opinions?

Not used a bolt action.

However, I have used pumps. Used to own a Benelli Supernova and have played with a Mossberg 500. They are fun to shoot. If you are shooting clays, you need to be very good at pumping it fast whilst not taking your head off the stock to hit pairs. If fast follow up shots are not that important to you, they are great. There are some shooters who are extremely fast wit ha pump, I am not one of them :oops:

The other advantage is that they will cycle anything from the lightest #9 shot to slugs with no issues as its you doing the ejecting not a fancy gas or inertia system.

Pumps are under rated in this country. Just like a semi auto except you do the auto bit yourself. I like the sight picture of a single barrel . They dont spit the cases too far either. Usually cheaper,non ammo fussy and plenty to choose from. There is plenty of video of exhibition shooters in the States showing what the humble pump can do.

Dont really fancy bolt action shotguns,but have a pump action 12g and it is a lovely tool,nice and light cyles well and fast easy to strip and clean,cant explain it but it is very pointable :yes: if you know what i mean,it is quick to to shoulder,fantastic tool for rabbits,have managed to shoot 4 with 3 shots in one go :oops: ,lamping with this gun is easy as dont have to break barrels just keep sticking another straight up her,mine is for sale(sales section) to fund new rifle (cz .22 542 american),its a manufrance (la salle) in very good condition and built to last.

I would recomend buying one for vermin control but dont know anything about clays though :oops:

The first shotgun i fired was my uncles Mossberg 500 .410 Pump great fun good rough walk about gun, bolt action more rifle like a few rifles have been converted to .410 and a few moderated .410 BA are available (there is a French one Bretton Gaucher looks like fun for bunnies) but never used one, I would think a 12G BA would be cumbersome to use....

12G Pump is a cheap option for wildfowling there are pump versions of most american Semi's at under half the price Winchester SXP is £350 new SX3 over £700...... Mossberg MAverick even cheaper (brand new) Remmington do 3.5" Pump for about £450 new 870 SPS

Edited by HDAV

:good: Used my brothers-in-law's bolt action 12bore once wasn't very impressed I think there more suited to wild-fowling than anything else, now pumps are a different kettle of fish entirely I use a Mossberg 835 ultimag with a 28inch barrel 3.5inch chamber multi choked a brilliant gun very versatile, reasonable weight but will jam with 2.5inch shells because off the shell lifter design, my wife uses a Mossberg 500 ATP 3inch chamber 24inch barrel with vary choke lovely gun very quick and easy to use' finaly my eldest boy has a Mossberg Maverick 3inch chamber 28inch barrel when he first got the gun it seamed to be a bit too light' with the standard barrel and half choke he couldn't hit a barn door at 20 paces so we swapped the barrel for a plain one same length with a vary choke which transformed the gun completely, better handling and balance.

I've never looked back since I bought the first one for my wife. :oops:

I use a W&S .410 single shot bolt action at clay grounds and it's good fun, although unless you are Paul Daniels and can perform magic, it's no good for shooting pairs at a clay ground.

Also shoot a Mossberg 590 which is great fun and comes with a 10yr warranty as standard which offers real peace of mind shooting. This only has a cylinder barrel but still manages to smoke clays at a reasonable distance and is used a lot at the Bisley skeet ranges. The 590 is quite loud though as it has a compensator at the end of the barrel which may not be to everyones taste.

If having is high on the agenda, I would highly recommend a pump action shotgun and once you are well practiced ,it will shoot almost as fast as a semi, but with the added benifit it will cycle pretty much everything you can throw in it where a semi can be fussy and also gas semi's can need regular clealing whereas the pump is minimal cleaning.

hmm some intresting stuff guys to be honest i thought i was going to get abuse for even thinking pump or bolt action shotguns... but sounds like i will go for the pump now anyways whats the best type i can get in the uk i have only ever seen mossberg and have heard good stuff about them.. also on price im looking for between 400 and 600

hmm some intresting stuff guys to be honest i thought i was going to get abuse for even thinking pump or bolt action shotguns... but sounds like i will go for the pump now anyways whats the best type i can get in the uk i have only ever seen mossberg and have heard good stuff about them.. also on price im looking for between 400 and 600

Try these for size

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/gunroo...ns_mossberg.php

http://www.ukgunroom.com/resultsGuns.jsp?f...ARAMETER_VALUE*

Hope this helps

You should get a dandy pump action for that kind of money. I always fancied a Remington but am quite happy with the Hatsan so far.

i have two mossberg pumps, a 500a and a 600at, both the same gun (top ib, dual bead, multichoke, etc) but the 600at is called a newhaven mossberg, made in a different factory or something.

anyway i own those two, also had a benelli nova for a week, couldnt get on with it; it was high tech, but it felt to me like theyd changed alot of things in the design just so they could boast theyd changed stuff :angry: alot of people like them, and im not knocking them, just saying i didnt get on with it too well :w00t:

ps ive seen a couple of bolt action shotguns ive liked, never been brave enough to take them at the time though, and when ive finally convinced myself to buy one its gone :lol:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Personally I wouldn't bother and just get a decent semi auto, you'll shoot better with it and fire 3 shots an awful lot faster and more accurately than if you have to pump between shots. People buy them for kicks and fun then realise in the field they are ****

Personally I wouldn't bother and just get a decent semi auto, you'll shoot better with it and fire 3 shots an awful lot faster and more accurately than if you have to pump between shots. People buy them for kicks and fun then realise in the field they are ****

but much cheaper than a semi, I have only fired a .410 pump but i can see the attraction, cheap to buy new (SXP is £350) highly reliable, good choice for fowling beginner? not many seem to be 3.5" chambered but mostly built for US market as cheap guns for clays, messing about, home defence (limited choice in the UK)

they are useless for clay shooting and will demoralise a beginner as they will never get a decent second let alone third shot off. Far better option would be a second hand semi auto, I've a Browning B80 served me well for the last 10 years or more cost me £150 and only ever let me down once when shooting from the combine steps and it filled up with straw :angry:

so thats why i got rid of my benelli semi auto for a 2nd mossberg pump then :angry:

with pumps you need a good bit of practice, but once you have learnt how to do it youll be laughing. a few members on here have been shooting with me, both clays and rough shooting, and i doubt any of them would call my mossbergs **** in the field! also theres another major benefit of a pump over a semi auto (apart from lack of cleaning/shoot any carts/near indestructible) - you cant just fill the air with lead and hope for the best with them. my hit ratio actually improved when i started using pumps, especially on 2nd and 3rd shots, as the split second it takes to rechamber the gun gives you time to acquire the next target properly before you shoot.

im the first to admit that some people cant get on with some types of guns, fair enough, but im wondering al4x have you actually ever used a pump action that youve spent the time getting used to and that fits you properly, or are you just the spewing 2nd hand drivel we usually hear from certain sections of the shooting community.... :lol:

I've used one they are clunky awkward things that are toys rather than proper tools for field use. A decent semi is great to use for vermin, pumps are of for playing with but before everyone stitches this guy up with an unsuitable gun he needs to know the other side of it. Loads of people buy an old mossberg for fun and most get shot of it after the novelty wears off. Bolt actions are the same there are better guns out there, there is a reason they are all cheap and that is simply because most people don't want them

there is a reason they are all cheap and that is simply because most people don't want them

Surely it is that they are cheaper to make? SXP is half the price of the SX3, that has to be down to the parts not used in a pump compared to a semi (I think there are some that you can pump or have on semi/autoload too)

SX3 lovely semi but for the right reason (not clays or game) isnt a Pump action just as good as a Semi if you know how to use it? with the mag limit in the UK as it is i understand why there are few section 2 Pumps available in the UK (80 on guntrader all calibres, compared to 800+ semi's) and 4000 O/U also a pump wont eject like a semi you can aim the eject at the ground between shots

If the limit was 10 in a mag i am sure there would be plenty of 5/7/9/10 shots on the market. If i could afford a pump i would be tempted, but as i only shoot clays I'll stick to my O/U might get a semi at some point but being LH makes it all so much harder to find....

I've used one they are clunky awkward things that are toys rather than proper tools for field use. A decent semi is great to use for vermin, pumps are of for playing with but before everyone stitches this guy up with an unsuitable gun he needs to know the other side of it. Loads of people buy an old mossberg for fun and most get shot of it after the novelty wears off. Bolt actions are the same there are better guns out there, there is a reason they are all cheap and that is simply because most people don't want them

clunky awkward things?! toys?! hmm defo spewing tosh now :lol:

yes, people do buy them as toys, and fit all sorts of synthetic pistol grips and what not, and the novelty wears off, i did the same. but once you stick the original furniture back on (which i did) you find theres a proper gun underneath the terminator image. so hows it an unsuitable gun then? lets see, heres my experience of pumps vs semi's

pumps - pro's - requires little cleaning, fires any size of shells, nearly indestructible, very few jams, and any jams are usually down to user error. once you are used to it, can get off 3 quick well aimed shots, as i demonstrated last year with 3 pigeons for 3 shots, and recently with 3 crows for 3 shots. con's - takes a bit of getting used to, cant "fill the air with lead and hope for the best" like with a semi, but can also be a pro as forces you to slow down and more take careful aimed shots - my hit ratio increased when i got a pump, no joking/boasting/stitching up.

semis - pro's - quicker than a pump (bearing in mind the quicker you shoot the less accurate most people become). are self loading so dont have to pump in next shot. slightly less recoil than a pump. eh... pro's... hmm... more pro's... eh... right then. con's - need constant cleaning to keep working right and prevent jams (and some are quite complicated to clean), also are usually ammo fussy (some more than others) and if does jam they can be a pain in the backside to clear. spit empties a good distance away, usually into nettles/brambles/other shooters faces :angry: and last but not least, tempts people to "spray and pray" by emptying the gun at the target if the first shot is a miss. also as an afterthought semi's are less safe for a novice shooter when compared to a pump action, which has been pointed out on this site before and i wont go into again)

now you also say youve used a pump, but that wasnt my question. my question was "but im wondering al4x have you actually ever used a pump action that youve spent the time getting used to and that fits you properly", because the posts youre sticking up here sound to me like you messed about on a pump action for half an hour once, werent used to it, the gun didnt fit you, and so youve just dismissed them out of hand right away.

oh and im sorry if you think im trying to stitch this guy up with an unsuitable gun; its just that when he asked about pump actions i thought he could do with a bit of info and opinions from someone who regularly uses them (to great effect i may add) instead of all the usual responses you get on this subject from know it alls - in fact im quite surprised that "bank robber" hasnt been mentioned on here anywhere! but of course, this being pigeon watch, unless i tell him to get a £1k semi auto or a £2k over and under instead, then im stitching him up :w00t: