Shotgun Foxing advice !!

stefnc

Hi all, after rabbiting on a farm for a few years, the farmer has always wanted the foxes getting rid of! due to them killing 3 lambs last year and 2 this year! I have only recently got my SGC so now the time has come,

The land consists of 6-7 fields totalling 60 acres, all of which are totally flat with no cover as all hedgrows are barbwired off, in 4 of the fields there are cattle and sheep, but in the two where the foxes are most regularly seen there is nothing, I got within 30 yards of a cub tonight but didnt shoot due to not being able to hold lamp/gun at same time-, now I could do with some tips- these foxes dont seem to respond too well to being squeaked, they seem to be very cautious, I have bought a jitter critter but they didnt come to close at all.

what should I do? FAC is a no no here, so if you guys have got any tips regarding ways to get them close enough and where to position myself bearing in mind no cover? Id be extremely grateful

( im using an o/u 36g 3's, 12 gauge,)

Many thanks

Steve

It is worth getting practised in holding a lamp or torch and shooting. Why not have a go on the rabbits first ? An ex pw member suggested holding a lamp and resting the shotgun on your forearm and it is not difficult. Much cheaper than an attached gun lamp too.

Sounds basic but the few foxes I have had would have got away had I not been loaded and ready to shoot even at times when you normally let your guard down (well I do) . I have missed many just by not reloading quickly enough after climbing a fence or swapping the no 6 for a BB cartridge when I could have had one already loaded.

LED torches I think are good enough for shotgun lamping. You can also get out at dusk/dawn when you do not need a lamp.OR....Kyska could lamp for you! Good luck.

It is worth getting practised in holding a lamp or torch and shooting. Why not have a go on the rabbits first ? An ex pw member suggested holding a lamp and resting the shotgun on your forearm and it is not difficult. Much cheaper than an attached gun lamp too.

Sounds basic but the few foxes I have had would have got away had I not been loaded and ready to shoot even at times when you normally let your guard down (well I do) . I have missed many just by not reloading quickly enough after climbing a fence or swapping the no 6 for a BB cartridge when I could have had one already loaded.

LED torches I think are good enough for shotgun lamping. You can also get out at dusk/dawn when you do not need a lamp.OR....Kyska could lamp for you! Good luck.

Stefnc and myself have done a lot of rabbiting, but with gun mounted lamps so I think he just needs a lamp man! Thing is, when we both go out we see jack, go on your own or without a gun you're tripping over the bloody things.

Whats the smallest shot anyone would use for a fox? I ask as I'll take my 20b, Steve uses 3's in the 12. would 30g 5's be alright?

Stefnc and myself have done a lot of rabbiting, but with gun mounted lamps so I think he just needs a lamp man! Thing is, when we both go out we see jack, go on your own or without a gun you're tripping over the bloody things.

Whats the smallest shot anyone would use for a fox? I ask as I'll take my 20b, Steve uses 3's in the 12. would 30g 5's be alright?

largest load to make sure, bait area with dog food a couple of days then set a hide up set the bait and wait, they will come out but make sure your down wind, i found in the past use a big lamp so your covered by the light once fox is seen keep lamp on it calling in patches it will come in as long as your quiet and down wind

I've killed foxes at around 20 yards with 30 gm 6's.

I have killed foxes at 30 yards with 6's, but I normally use 1's or 3's. You need to learn to call. I can lamp, shoot and call on my own, but it took a lot of practise and is much easier if someone else can lamp and call for you. I rest the barrels on the back of my hand, and hold the lamp sideways. I use a WAM caller because it is much easier and very effective.

I wouldnt advise using a 20 bore kyska, but by all means, give it a go.

The most important thing is, when that fox gets to about 25 yards, and you are kneeling in the mud and ****, dont let the adrenaline and nerves get the better of you.

Its all good fun, get out there and have a go and good luck :good:

If your specifically going after charlie you should really be using bb's in my opinion, 5's are definately too small, good chance of wounding the thing. Iv'e shot literally hundreds of foxes and found bb's are the best cartridge to use. I know of people who have dropped foxes with small shot but more often than not they'll leg it and die fom blood poisoning-not good!

If your specifically going after charlie you should really be using bb's in my opinion, 5's are definately too small, good chance of wounding the thing. Iv'e shot literally hundreds of foxes and found bb's are the best cartridge to use. I know of people who have dropped foxes with small shot but more often than not they'll leg it and die fom blood poisoning-not good!

I have to totally agree here!

I do not shoot foxes with a shotgun but that is not to say that it can not be done humanely, and that is the crucial word HUMANELY! If you are going to try to shoot foxes with a shotgun then do everything you can to make your kills as quick, clean and humane as posible or you will not be doing the shooting fraternity in general any real favours by allowing "runners"!

Its all about range at 20 yards a fox won't know the difference between shot size, at 30 yards it needs to be a decent shot with 5's or 6's but will be fine if you shoot the front end. With most things shoot it in the backside its going to run. I like 4's and find them very effective go big shot you have fewer pellets in the pattern and reduced effectiveness, personally I don't shoot them with a shotgun at ranges where shot size really matters. Whichever way you go its usually worth using both barrels even if it goes down with the first shot just to make sure

couldn't agree more, I've always used BB or AAA, wouldn't consider using anything smaller. We've all shot foxes with smaller shot because thats what we've had in the barrel when opportunity presents itself, but if you're specifically after foxes get a high power BB in there................ it's only fair

oh yeah .... use a twelve, I've shot foxes with 20, 16 and even a .410 but you are reducing your effective killing range with smaller bores, and by the way you can't shoot foxes with a shotgun at the sort of ranges that you shoot pigeons..... and before anyone starts moaning the one with the .410 was at about 15 feet clean in the back of the head, dead on the spot, otherwise I would never have pulled the trigger

cheers for the range advice guys but we've gone off the subject a little!!!!! I really need advice as i cant really hide- theres maybe one spot and i need to get the foxes close- so any tips on baiting :lol:?:w00t:?:oops:

I have killed foxes at 30 yards with 6's, but I normally use 1's or 3's. You need to learn to call. I can lamp, shoot and call on my own, but it took a lot of practise and is much easier if someone else can lamp and call for you. I rest the barrels on the back of my hand, and hold the lamp sideways. I use a WAM caller because it is much easier and very effective.

I wouldnt advise using a 20 bore kyska, but by all means, give it a go.

The most important thing is, when that fox gets to about 25 yards, and you are kneeling in the mud and ****, dont let the adrenaline and nerves get the better of you.

Its all good fun, get out there and have a go and good luck :angry:

Edited by SSS