Roe Rut

Has anyone in Hampshire or West Sussex noticed signs of roe deer rutting, I stalk near Basingstoke and Petworth and have watched lots of does this week but no bucks showing any interest, maybe a thunderstorm would start it off, I would be interested in any comments, thank you.

For the past ten years in South Yorkshire I have not seen any roe rut activity untill the first week of August. In my opinion guys and my records back it up its still a couple of weeks early.

I 've been keeping a diary of my shooting activities for over 20 years and it seems that the moon phases and the weather dictate the start of the roe rut, last year on my ground in Hampshire just after a thunderstorm I watched a rutting pair in mid july, it seems there is no rhyme or reason down here in the south.

Edited by bangabunny

I had a buck chasing a doe over motorway in front of me on Monday ,central scotland,unfortunately he was killed on same stretch ,yesterday,but I seen another buck chasing a doe in feild just outside stirling this morn wed,think I will try calling this weekend,never done it before but there are still a few yearlings about and I gather they come to the call a bit easier

That would explain why yesterday didn't go according to plan then?!

I was out stalking and bumped into a doe at about 60 yards. She was interested in me so I slowly got down with the rifle on the bipod and scoped her. I was thinking if I kept a low profile she'd forget about me and carry on. Well she did, for 15 minutes! I was thinking that a Buck was bound to appear at some point but no, nothing at all.

It was good to watch her through the scope for all that time, but after lying in a wet wood in the rain for 1/4 of an hour in light trousers and a shirt I was hoping I would get a Buck for my troubles! :yes:

Not anywhere near you but have watched rutting for the last two weeks.Went out yesterday and watched 6 bucks,5 of which were in different stages of rut and all within 500 metres of each other.Earliest i can remember for a long time up here and possibly due to the better weather this year.

Bit of interesting aside info.

I understand the Roe deer is quite unique in as much as it is capable of " Delayed Inplantation " ie the egg is fertilised by the Buck, but can then lie

dorment for many months until a protein in the Doe triggers a start, (thought to be related to food availability?)

and it then attaches to the whomb wall to grow normally.

See link http://www.roedeer.com/roereproduction.htm

Bit of interesting aside info.

I understand the Roe deer is quite unique in as much as it is capable of " Delayed Inplantation " ie the egg is fertilised by the Buck, but can then lie

dorment for many months until a protein in the Doe triggers a start, (thought to be related to food availability?)

and it then attaches to the whomb wall to grow normally.

See link http://www.roedeer.com/roereproduction.htm

and your point is?

The rut has started around here. Out yesterday evening watching two bucks, one small/average & one medal size one standing off over a doe. It's almost unfair to shoot them when they're so involved with s*******! :hmm:

Not anywhere near you but have watched rutting for the last two weeks.Went out yesterday and watched 6 bucks,5 of which were in different stages of rut and all within 500 metres of each other.Earliest i can remember for a long time up here and possibly due to the better weather this year.

im "up north" aswell and have heard it's started.... haven't been out in a few weeks though :hmm:

im "up north" aswell and have heard it's started.... haven't been out in a few weeks though :hmm:

LOL, My mate was out last night after foxes, ( West Lothian ) and heard the rutting going on in the wood ...:hmm:

BTW, he got a fox...so was worth a nightshift..:lol:

Its started down here in Cornwall,I was on a farm yesterday glassing the moor for foxes when a Buck appeared in hot pursute of a doe no more than 20 yards infront of me,then disappeared in to the bushes but returned in hot pursute again,totally oblivious to me and my van.

I jumped into the van to get to my next job and had to brake 100 yards down the road as another doe crossed the road infront of me.

Better keep an eye out for this lot me thinks.