Minimum age to hold a shotgun licence

Stretch

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows what the minimum age a child chas to be to hold a shotgun licence?? I've been told by a gunshop that the current youngest holder is 9yrs old.

The reason i'm asking is that my eldest son (old headed 6 year old) loves to come out on the pigeons with me, i'd thought about getting him a suitable gun and start learning him a bit but was told that unless on a clay ground it is illegal for me to hand a gun to a none licence holder regardless of age.

Spoke to the firearms officer but he can't give me an answer til he's spoke to the gaffa.

There is no set minimum age for applying for a shotgun certificate. In practice the application has to be counter-signed by someone who has known you for two years, so that ups it to two. The security vetting procedure is the same as for adults. Some forces have been trying to involve teachers in the process, which BASC is opposing.

An individual does not need a shotgun certificate if they are using a gun belonging to the owner or occupier of private land, the gun is being used on that land, and they are in the presence of the gun's owner.

No-one under the age of 17 can buy a shotgun or ammunition. (This age limit is about to be raised to 18 to comply with a European directive).

You can see full details on the BASC website.

Thanks lads, will wait and see what happens, printed a application form of for me to fill in tonight.

according to my feo its 2 years old the reason being that you have to have a reference from some one saying they have known you for 2 years how daft is that

according to my feo its 2 years old the reason being that you have to have a reference from some one saying they have known you for 2 years how daft is that

There is no minimum age, just the known for 2 years requirement of the sponsor signing the photo etc.

But is there any point? Any-one under age has to be accompanied by an adult over 21, and if that person is an SGC holder with permission to shoot the land ( ie in possession of the land for shooting purposes) then the lad is legal if section 11(5) applies. He can't own his own gun anyway, so getting a license is just a fee for a piece of paper that's not needed.

There is no minimum age, just the known for 2 years requirement of the sponsor signing the photo etc.

But is there any point? Any-one under age has to be accompanied by an adult over 21, and if that person is an SGC holder with permission to shoot the land ( ie in possession of the land for shooting purposes) then the lad is legal if section 11(5) applies. He can't own his own gun anyway, so getting a license is just a fee for a piece of paper that's not needed.

A bit surprised at that comment :P yes there is a point the lads had his since he was 10 :lol: strange how many time's he has come home early saying some of the people he was with were doing things they shouldn't and didn't want to loose his cert , so give's them a bit of responsibility .

Also being a cert holder he can shoot on a local ground without having to pay £ 25 for a saftey lesson with an instructer :D

A bit surprised at that comment :P yes there is a point the lads had his since he was 10 :lol: strange how many time's he has come home early saying some of the people he was with were doing things they shouldn't and didn't want to loose his cert , so give's them a bit of responsibility .

Also being a cert holder he can shoot on a local ground without having to pay £ 25 for a saftey lesson with an instructer :D

Well, I can see the responsibility point, and if the club he shoots at requires an SGC for entry without their in-house instructor ( their commercial decision and not a bad one, but not a legal requirement if they have an 11(6) and have delegated authority to a 21 yo accompanying, ie you or another club / squad member,) then by all means.

The point is a SGC for a minor is heavily restricted by the terms and only allows the holder to use a shotgun under the supervision of a named person who is also a SGC holder. Usually the father. The minor still cannot have access to gun eg keys for the cabinet etc. Clay grounds may still turn you away because of their insurance.

Edited by Vince Green

The point is a SGC for a minor is heavily restricted by the terms and only allows the holder to use a shotgun under the supervision of a named person who is also a SGC holder. The minor still cannot have access to gun eg keys for the cabinet etc. Clay grounds may still turn you away because of their insurance.

Thought it was a person over 21 not a sgc holder :lol: the law may have changed recently though ?

As I understand it the person doing the supervising is still legally in control of the shotgun while the minor is using it and so has to be licenced. Plus the minor cannot transport to or from the venue etc on his own so again it has to be done by someone who is licenced.

Edited by Vince Green

Thought it was a person over 21 not a sgc holder :P the law may have changed recently though ?

yes over 21, no need to be a sgc holder

The point is rob for both you with jay and myself with the nephew you can go onto a permission and shoot, supervised yes, but non of that estate gun paraphernalia, and a good bargaining for school work etc

and yes i believe it's £ 26 for the safety lesson :lol:

yes over 21, no need to be a sgc holder

The point is rob for both you with jay and myself with the nephew you can go onto a permission and shoot, supervised yes, but non of that estate gun paraphernalia, and a good bargaining for school work etc

and yes i believe it's £ 26 for the safety lesson :P

Thought so thanks :lol:

My son has had his licence since he was ten.

His now coming up too 17

In that time because he has had his licence he has manage to get his own permissions too shoot on.

Which he can now do on his own.

Like Magman i think it has done him good to have this responsibly .

He has walked away from many situations which might have cost him his licence(We all know what young boys can be like when out with mates).

On saying that i now know that Essex police will not issue licence too someone so young now. As we found out when we applied for my younger boy licence.

xxxSuzy

My lad got his at 9 years old so he could shoot on our syndicate and the various beaters shoots he was invited to. Land owner not always there nor on the local clay shoot which is not police approved. It was a simple procedure and was the only way for him to shoot at these places legally according to my FEO.

Cheers Gillaroo