dumping shot foxes on public roads

Conygree

I never said that all foxes etc were shot and dumped, in fact I believe it is unlikely in the case of foxes, but I do believe that it would happen (if only occasionally) with badgers as many people don't want them on their land but the Badgers Act prevents them from doing anything about it, it is also a good way for badger baiters to get rid of evidence IMO.

So to sum up, I don't even think it is shooters responsible, rather it would be farmers acting on their own or people trying to cover up their illegal activities.

I have been accused of being an 'anti' on more than one occasion on here because I don't share the opinions of a few, and to be honest I couldn't care less, but it seems odd that the same people shouting that we need to be unified to protect our sport are happy to try and divide us from within by insulting fellow shooters and calling their integrity into question :blink:

If we don't agree with a point of view then we all have the right to say so without people trying to place suspicion on us.

You are only pro shooting by the looks of things.

Farmer could easily bury or incinerate the body, why drive it to a road and be seen?

Why bring this up in the first place then if you don't want to bring attention to it on a public forum?

All because a badger is protected doesn't mean it isn't common.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are only pro shooting by the looks of things.

Farmer could easily bury or incinerate the body, why drive it to a road and be seen?

Why bring this up in the first place then if you don't want to bring attention to it on a public forum?

All because a badger is protected doesn't mean it isn't common.

Never said they aren't common and I didn't start the thread, merely put my point of view :blink:

Hi,

As it's not illegal to kill foxes, I also can't see the point of going to all the effort of dumping them in the road.

For a while I was employed to collect road kill badgers for a specific purpose, annotating "suspicious death" if the case arose. Only once was I tempted to do so. I didn't because it was in such a state that it was not fit for purpose so it was bagged and left for the local council to collect (don't know if they found it, my GPS came up "you've got to be kidding" when I tried to get a grid ref. and the lane in the middle of darkest Devon looked as though it had last been used by a Royal Mail stagecoach). On one occasion I definitely would have done as 4 were found dead piled up on the edge of a tin mine near St Just in Cornwall but it turned out that the binmen had snaffled them 10 minutes before I arrived (only driven from Bournemouth airport!). From discussions with my then colleagues, dumping of shot badgers does occur but the frequency is not as great as some would have us believe and the vast majority are simply road kill which is the greatest single cause of premature badger deaths and hence the reason for my employment.

Cheers

A bit further :good:

What started as disposing of dead foxes has lead to how open should we be on being open about shooting in general?

Many country activities have a long tradition but people have changed over the years,eg; the farmer/butcher I worked for as a lad used to slaughter at the back of his house in the middle of the village during the war. I asked him if people complained? No he said," they all came around with bowls for a bits left over", try doing that in a village today :good:

With a man being fined for killing a squirrel, and the RSPCA saying 'you are only allowed to hit a squirrel over the head once to kill it' shows how careful we have to be as a group.

But times have changed, pre-war we would have been talking about shooting in isolation in the local 'dog & bitter pub' but now we use the internet. So we need to be more open and get away from the old 'we don't talk about that in here laddy' :lol:

How do you turn people against country pursuits? You present them something that is regularly seen and try to put a sinister twist on it.

If you spread the rumour that all the foxes and badgers on the roads were put there by people killing them and not by being run over the public will believe it and think that huge amounts of animals are killed by people with guns/dogs and sway public thinking.

You are naive to thing that LACS or the RSPCA are not to close it all down.

My theory on things??? An anti is someone who against country pursuits, either animal rights or leona Lewis.

You are wrong to believe that your sport is safe.

It's Keith Vaz and his cronies on the Home Affairs Select Committee that we should be worried about I think :blush: