dumping shot foxes on public roads

Conygree

I'm sure it's not a local thing but the number of foxes lying on public roads - no crush injuries but a centre fire hole in the chest. Are these guys doing the dumping that dumb to expect the police to believe they are road accidents? all it needs is an accident caused by the fox for the police to check out the local centre fire FAC holders - then they could claim the fox was shot on a public road?.

I have seen foxes dumped half way around bends, I often stop to move them to prevent accidents - what's wrong with dumping them in the hedge?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's not a local thing but the number of foxes lying on public roads - no crush injuries but a centre fire hole in the chest. Are these guys doing the dumping that dumb to expect the police to believe they are road accidents? all it needs is an accident caused by the fox for the police to check out the local centre fire FAC holders - then they could claim the fox was shot on a public road?.

I have seen foxes dumped half way around bends, I often stop to move them to prevent accidents - what's wrong with dumping them in the hedge?

I have also suspected this of being the case with a large number of the badger carcasses we see on the roadsides, seems a bit of a coincidence that so many of them are victims of RTA's.

Best way to cover up illegal shooting of badgers is to make sure they are run over a couple of times by a semi!!

And in reality, if they are lying on the road, would the police even question how they got to be there?

I have also suspected this of being the case with a large number of the badger carcasses we see on the roadsides, seems a bit of a coincidence that so many of them are victims of RTA's.

Best way to cover up illegal shooting of badgers is to make sure they are run over a couple of times by a semi!!

And in reality, if they are lying on the road, would the police even question how they got to be there?

Not this rubbish again.

Badgers are moving around and reproducing more.

Why would people dump on roads to get rid of the body? If found with a badger in your car it is an offence. It would be easier to dump the badger in a river/hole/bin to get rid of it instead of in the road.

They are road kill, that's all.

why would any one, fac holder or not dump dead foxes on a road.:good:?:no:

why would any one, fac holder or not dump dead foxes on a road.:good:?:no:

common practice round are way to see dead foxes and badgers dumped in a layby or on the roadside, its

more than likely the same chaps who ride all over the fields in trucks and dont give a **** about the upset

what they do, the seasons just round the corner! harvest time through till march depending on weather

conditions heavy rain keeps them off.

So how comes you see the bodies in the summer when the animals are naturally moving after being thrown from the family to start their own.

The biggest killer of badgers/foxes is not illegal activity but cars. The population of Badgers where I live has exploded and I have seen more Badgers this year than ever before, even in daylight.

Nothing to do with opinion but real facts, the car is the biggest killer of our wildlife.

Nothing to do with opinion but real facts, the car is the biggest killer of our wildlife.

Well I never disputed that, and in fact I agree (except I suspect that our wildlife is the biggest killer of our wildlife, with Nature being as it is), but I have no doubt that the activities suggested do occur although I would not think it is so in the majority of cases.

Why would you shoot a fox and then go to the bother of dumping it on a road?

Only when I have shot one on the road :no:

No seriously, dazza has a point. Mine go into the nearest ditch or hedge, let nature take it course :good:

I can but assume IF you have seen foxes all over the roads in your area with bullet holes in them they have been badly shot and walked/died there. What makes you suggest Centrefire as well, does nobody uses a rimfire in your part of the world?

It makes no sense for anyone to shoot them and dump them on the road.

I'm struggling with your suggestion of police checking out the local centrefire FAC owners, why, what could/would it prove even if they positively linked bullet fragments to a rifle. So a bullet from the rifle shot the fox...who then walked a mile before dropping dead on the road :no::rolleyes:

Stopping half way around bends to clear dead foxes :rolleyes:?:no:

It will be you that causes an accident !!!LOL

:rolleyes: Sounds like a load of cods whallop to me!!!

Why would you lug a stinking flea ridden bleedig dead fox god knows how far, then put it in your vehicle, stinking it out and infesting it with fleas ................just to drop it in a road.....doesnt make sense.......there no rules against shooting foxes, the badger bit makes sense but foxes? Why bother? :no:

it would only really apply to illegally shot animals to get the evidence off the shooters ground, particularly badgers which some stock farmers do get naughty with and frankly when your whole livelihood is at stake I can understand it. Leave them about or bury them then you run the risk of the evidence turning up but dump them on an A road to be splattered by cars and lorries and there is far less chance of it coming back to bite you. another scenario may occur with farmers saying people with permission can't dump foxes in hedges but that would be pure speculation on my part

I left it a while before replying, to see what the responce was :yes:

You don't need CSI to work out a large hole in the chest was a centre fire, also no animal can walk far with all it's vital organs missing.

I have heard of a few people who drop foxes on roads after shooting them - "so they get flattened" but most people will drive to avoid an animal. The road I often find them on is popular with motorcycles, so are they are left as a hazard.

it was good to hear that everybody who responded simply didn't believe this was going on and hopefully I won't find anymore.

Edited by pigeon popper

I try not to leave shot foxes where members of the public could come across them, I don't think it's what they want to see especially if they are out with their children. I usually drag the foxes I shoot back to the farm and bury them in the dung heap. However I did slip up on one mangy old dog fox that I shot a while back - I put it in a black bag and threw it in the motor to take it to the farm for burying. What I didn't realise is that the black bag was leaking. The motor stank to high heaven for a fortnight. I did managed to convince the wife that the terrible smell was an air freshener that had gone off I don't think I will get away with it again, she's got a better nose than a labradore!

Edited by Frenchieboy