Why are Mercedes G Wagons so expensive

Mungler

Ok, so, I was having a conversation with Flashman today about 4x4's etc and the conversation got onto G-Wagons and on how you don't see many about and how even old banged out F reg ones still make big money

Anyways, I have just has a look on auto trader and they are all big money notwithstanding being old, high mileage and looking like they are banged out.

So, just what is so special about a G Wagon?

Have a gander at :

68,000 miles, 1999 Mercedes 290GD 4 x 4 2.9 turbo diesel. Blue. 1 owner from new. Running boards, alloy wheels. New full exhaust system. Ex condition. MOT and Tax April 2011, service history, Still available due to time wasters. £18,000 Inc VAT.

Edited by Mungler

Ok, so, I was having a conversation with Flashman today about 4x4's etc and the conversation got onto G-Wagons and on how you don't see many about and how even old banged out F reg ones still make big money

Anyways, I have just has a look on auto trader and they are all big money notwithstanding being old, high mileage and looking like they are banged out.

There one for sale in Idle bradford, by you know who.

swerve is the word i think.

Edited by markbivvy

Now mungler, if you buy one of these then you'll look just like any other "city type" in a chelsea tractor. what you need to stand out from the crowd is a 6 wheel drive troop carrier, i guarantee no SOB is gonna get in your way.

I happen to know where there's one for sale, you can drive it on a car licence, it's tax and mot exempt, and it runs on anything from alcohol to veggie oil, it has an 8ltr straight 6 lump, a big ol winch, and nearly 3 ft ground clearance, all for only 5.5k

4x4? that's soooo yesterday :yes:

They have a cult following . A very true story .A few years ago they were making a g-wagon advert on holkham beach in Norfolk . It was filmed running around in the surf and driving across the beach . They got carried away and forgot about the tide coming in very quickly . The G-waggon got its self well and truly stuck and it looked like they were going to loose it to the tide . A local fisherman was pulling his boat in across the beach and went to the rescue in his series 1 landrover and pulled the g-wagon off the beach and then went back for the trailor that was stuck as well and pulled that clear as well .

Harnser .

g wagons is a partnership with merc and puch , who most people rember did the mopeds .

puch have been in cars since 1904 , and have had several partners , they used to develop and make 4x4 and 6x6 motors for various armys .

they did the panda 4x4 and the g wagon . which both have very robust boxs and running gear .

as with most older mercs , quiet basic inside but engines will go round the world and back

Gelanderwagens Have extremely thick walled chassis which usually means rust isn't too much of a problem on them as well as the drivetrain and axles are renouned for the strengths. that being you don't need diff guards on a g-wagon axle. They also have mechanical diff locks front and rear. They are quite utilitarian and were expensive in this country so never really took off. In germany they are pretty much like land rovers are over here.

because they do what it says on the tin

no comfort, no economy, no electric this or that never will make it in to the chelsea tractor brigade but will get you almost any where

but if its the other end of the country you'll wish you didn't have to travel, arrive with piles and if its cold frostbite having had to do numerous repairs on the way and visited most petrol stations en route :good:

but if its the other end of the country you'll wish you didn't have to travel, arrive with piles and if its cold frostbite having had to do numerous repairs on the way and visited most petrol stations en route :good:

True but still fun :hmm:

I have to say you are correct but in the case of all the series landies I have driven - SI, SII, SIIA, SIII, Lightwieght, FC, Llama - the journey is the adventure....(albeit a white knucle one at times!) they have a personality and a 1960's landie still impresses me with it's offroad capability...

I first saw these in Denmark when on exercise years back and the Danish Jagerkorp just took the mick out of our Landrover wolves and told how naff the Landrover was compared to the G wagon. This back fired on them when they asked us to pull them out when they got bogged in after we had already passed through the area they got stuck in. We didn't take the mick much!

Edited by Daz2381

So, just what is so special about a G Wagon?

Have a gander at :

68,000 miles, 1999 Mercedes 290GD 4 x 4 2.9 turbo diesel. Blue. 1 owner from new. Running boards, alloy wheels. New full exhaust system. Ex condition. MOT and Tax April 2011, service history, Still available due to time wasters. £18,000 Inc VAT.

Mung that's gotta be some Ethics wideboy having a punt! :yes: Guess the 'timewasters' just wanted to see why £18K :good:

My missus has a bun in the oven, so I was thinking I'd trade the 90 in for a 110. But I was very interested to see the 'new' G-Wagens at the CLA - available in right-hand drive again. I'd heard all the hype, but never actually seen inside one, so I went for a look. The first one I saw was just like a Range Rover inside! Blimey! LUXURY! But that's not what I'm after at all, I thought, so I wandered further along the row and found the more agricultural one. That's definitely more like it - no frills, no fuss, no 'trim' - just like being in a Defender really - basic, rugged, inspiring confidence and banishing all worries about chipped paintwork or a scratched bumper. And plenty of room for a wee baby, a wee dog, and a giant pile of pigeon kit. Sorted! I resolved to nip along to the local Mercedes place and see if they could get hold of one for a test drive.

Then another enthusiast came over and we stood chatting about it for a while, comparing it to the Defender. He casually let slip: "It's just a shame it costs sixty grand".

"**** ME!!!! HOW MUCH???

"Sixty grand."

"You mean for that one over there with all the luxury stuff?"

"No, this one, the one with nothing except a plughole. All the luxury stuff costs extra."

Blinkin' flip! Not on your life. Not even if I won the lottery!