Anyone used Hessian to make a hide?

sitsinhedges

I shot plenty in South Africa from a hessian hide. Where ever the frost had killed the reeds,grass or in maize fields before and after combining. Always with good effect, and some exellent results.

It was a problem sometimes to make them blend in and not appear too square, but you could keep well down and out of site till the last moment. Some hessian has a course weave, that you can easily watch through and not be seen.

For the cost of a few feet of hessian to hang on your hide poles, it's worth a try.

My mate and I used builders hessian last week in the middle of a field. We had a very small piece of desert camo too. We used a light coloured net over the hessian to break up the bland colour but we could have managed without it. Keep a low hide (we used fishing chairs to sit on) and consider a roof (we used a fishing brolly with hessian and the desert camo over it for the roof because it rained heavily). When the rain stopped we took down the brolly and used the camo net as the roof with hessian as hide screen. Worked a treat and we could see in all directions and nearly had a pig land on the hide.

22072010178.jpg

middle of a field, the only place we could set up without damage to crop.

22072010180.jpg

bird tried to land on top of the hide a few times as well as on the wires above.

I have meters spare that i was going to put into 5 mtr lengths and put in the forsale for a fiver with a little help for postage.

Phil.

I use Hessian two ways. One as a simple hide amongst bales, straight off the roll donated by some friendly bricklayers :-)

The other way I use it, is cut into strips and weaved into an old net, this works much better if it is windy as it does not act like a sail as much as a regular piece.

I've been shooting in the middle of a standing wheat field using one of these....

DSC_1167.JPG

It drew quite a bit of pee taking from the farm manager until the shoot manager told him that I'd had over a hundred pigeons using it. The fact that you are covered from all sides and from above means that pigeons who don't know a tent from an elder bush fly confidentally into the deeks totally ignoring the hide.