Running dogs

Yorkshire Pudding

I've got a Greyhound/Deerhound X Collie/Greyhound brindle bitch. Bought her as a pup from a groom girl a couple of villages away for 50 quid, six years ago. The best 50 I ever parted with. She's never caught a hare, although she's scared a few, but she is dynamite on lamped rabbits. Didn't take her long to get the hang of "running cunning" and cutting them off before the hedge, and she will retrieve live to hand, so the catch is still edible. The only down side of her is the fact that she is gun shy. I don't know why, but as soon as I go to the gun cabinet she's behind the settee in a state. Nonetheless, I wouldn't part with her for a lottery win.

I have never owned "running dogs", but I had some fun with one.

My in-laws belonged to a pet charity and "fostered" dogs that had been ill treated, while permanent homes were found for them.

The dog in question, was a Borzoi, beautiful temprement, but it had a poor coat, due to neglect.

After it had settled down, it was obvious that it needed more exercise, than they could give it.

I was "volunteered" by my wife to take it out for a long walk.

So I took it down to the marshland that was adjacent to my factory, so she could run about, without bothering anyone or anything.

I had forgotten about the local rabbit population.

Running through tussocky grass, she soon flushed a rabbit.

She ran after it, overtook it, ran alongside it,but would not pick it up.

I took her to the marshes ,at least once a week and this happened every time.

She was clearly having great fun, but had no inclination to catch the rabbits.

I was quite sorry when she found a home.

If she hadn,t been the size of a skinny pony, I might have adopted her.      :sick:

Sean i did not say that acd's have no brain i said the one i had didnt have a brain, diffrent thing you get good and bad in all breeds of dog the breeding of the dog was impecable sire and dam both pro rabbit catchers dogs (must be on a winner)noop the dog was three when he died and acted like a pup. But you pay your money and take your chances when you by a pup i was just unlucky, thats the way it goes.

• 9 years later...

Back in the day!

I had a bitch got her cheap and i tell you what If i new what i was buying i would have got myself bankrupt for her she was 24 inches to the shoulder and was taking hares, squirrels, rats, rabbits, foxes, muntjac and a few roe!!

she didn`t have any bull in her she was just pure instinct

i have a collie greyhound x whippet greyhound at the moment , 12 years old so not got a run left in her . she has been a great dog as a pet , never run her on hares but i think she would have been good , not enough guts to finish a fox although catching up with them and bowling them over was never a prob , she was just to soft to finish them . good on rabbits and thats all i wanted her for but i wouldnt like to add up the vets bills in her life time .

the best dog ive seen work was a collie g/hound x deerhound g/hound bitch which would put rabbits on the run to bushes then get round the back of the bush and wait on them coming through the other side and pick them off , marked holes like nothing ive seen before and seemed to know which way a hare would turn before it made the move . it wasnt my dog but i spent a lot of time in her company as a youth and have a lot of memories of this dog .

if i ever got another running dog and could get one like her i would be a happy man . her litter brother was as thick as **** and tried to run through things rather than round or jump them and never got to grips with game at all .

I own 4 my first was just a pet, she's now 14 an still going strong greyxwhipxcolliexsal bout 21"

I've a dog who's now retired he's around 11, still comes daytime mooching but not with the lamp anymore he's greyxsalxbull 26" strong dog would do anything put in front of him

My bitch has just turned 8 beddyxwhippet x greyxcollie 23" rough coat, great on rabbits and hares doesn't like anything that bites back! Great day time moocher and lamp dog, good with the ferrets too

Got a pup aswell that's 7 months old ready for my bitch winding down, she's a greyxsalxcolliexbull I'm hoping she's going to do everything, time will tell she's very much still a puppy at the minute.

I must admit I do prefer to go out with the dogs than the gun but the way it's gone you have to do both to keep your options open.

When you see some of the people who own running dogs an hear the things that they get up to its no wonder running dog as a whole are disliked by many. Unfortunately we are all tarred with the same brush!

Got a beddy whippet, wouldn't be without out him. He his a bit scruffy and stupid like his owner I suppose but works great with the ferts and on the lamp.

Mine also doubles as a great pet lol, lazy as the days long and great with the kids. Bit bloody minded at times, despite shooting a lot a high energy spaniel wouldn't suit me at all. He stands 23 to the shoulder quarter bedlington rest whippet good feet and a brave heart.

Best dog I have seen was a bedlington x grey made it look so easy just had a hatred for other dogs making him a pain in the backside.

Karpman

My familly kept a line of Lurchers for many years. The last was my bitch (about 13-15 yrs back she ended her days). I am a big fan of Collie blood it does tend towards gunshyness as collies are very sensitive to noise generally, though dogs of this breeding are a million miles away from some of the "one slip dogs" of today with too much sight hound in thier make up or Bull crosses which to me are nothing but a deer poachers dog :angry:

Today i think there is much scope to the smaller wippet crosses as hares are now off the list. A bright little dog as fast as a greased weasel off the mark with a good protective coat, biddable with a soft mouth and a good nose to hunt its own Quarry up and work with ferrets, lacking fear of cover and always silent would be my personal wishes. Problem is the MRS hates running dogs, having experianced personally that you cant turn them off for a walk in the public parks etc. Besides its hard to keep a gundog steady when they play in the field with a running dog in Rabbit country :lol: