Why shouldn’t we have the right to pack heat?

peugeot

The UK isnt a crime ridden country with gun toting bandits roaming the streets so why on earth does the public need to be armed? If the general public were armed there would be a substantial increase in gun related deaths and i think they would be from their own guns! Majority of British Police are against arming so the possiblity of the public 'packing heat' is nill.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK isnt a crime ridden country with gun toting bandits roaming the streets so why on earth does the public need to be armed? If the general public were armed there would be a substantial increase in gun related deaths and i think they would be from their own guns! Majority of British Police are against arming so the possiblity of the public 'packing heat' is nill.

What makes you think this?

The majority of FAC/SGC holders have mannaged to persue their sport with out killing themselves, or other people.

Because it will be open to a wider audience and the temptation may be to leave them accessible and loaded in case they are needed.

Like running man says - why lock it up or leave it safe when you might need it?

even the police manage to shoot themselves and eachother during cleaning and training. :welcomeani:

Edited by J@mes

It's estimated that over 6 million people here in the U.S are licensed to carry concealed. License holders are extremely law abiding, even more so than police officers. It's worked very well here.

That is quite a bit lower than the general perception. As the US population is approx 5x UK, that would translate to about 1.2million carrying in the UK. I think that works out at about twice the current number of SGC & FAC holders doesn't it?

That is different from some of the scenarios discussed on here where everyone and their dog is "packing" and shooting anything that looks at them the wrong way.

What makes you think this?

The majority of FAC/SGC holders have mannaged to persue their sport with out killing themselves, or other people.

My point is we dont need to be armed for self defence-sporting is a different kettle of fish.It isnt a lawless society just yet despite what you might read in the tabloids and there arent any mutant zombies roaming the streets.

My point is we dont need to be armed for self defence-sporting is a different kettle of fish.It isnt a lawless society just yet despite what you might read in the tabloids and there arent any mutant zombies roaming the streets.
i wonder how you would feel when 3 somalian families move in in youre street mate? and theres constant cars coming and going from the house on the end,and the police do nothing,kids hanging round,cars hammering up and down the street. i invite you to come to bristol,we will do some shooting at the range if you like to make youre trip worthwile,but ile take u down st pauls and knowle west, if we get out alive (becase we have police no go zones where the druggies are) you can correct youre comment on here. i beleive as quite a few do on here,in the individuals right to choose wherether or not to arm himself. and after weve all fallen out on here about it its all hypothetical!!!

Before this thread is closed...................

Fire arms in general, sporting or self defence are only as safe as the person behind the trigger. They can all kill or injure if handled correctly, and just as efficiently if handled incorectly.

The thing that gets me here is that as soon as a handgun/ self defence gun is mentioned the assumption is law abideing will become lawless and forgetfull. Maybe I am missing something, but I credit most fire arm owners with more brain power than that.

The gist of it is people are frustrated by an inability to defend their own property and sometimes life. The carrying of a side arm is mostly not required in the UK.

Although come down my area on giro day you may wish you had one. :welcomeani:

The option to selectivly keep or carry a fire arm for defence would be nice, but sadly will never happen.

It's all just a dream here, but to argue against the theory based on the assumption that licenced owners would have accidents, injuries and losses, confuses me. We are the shooting comunity, who pride our selves in the fact that we have so few incedents in a sport that is perceived as dangerous. Why would the type of gun suddenly change the statistics. We would all still be the same people, presumably with our saftey habits still in place.

i wonder how you would feel when 3 somalian families move in in youre street mate? and theres constant cars coming and going from the house on the end,and the police do nothing,kids hanging round,cars hammering up and down the street. i invite you to come to bristol,we will do some shooting at the range if you like to make youre trip worthwile,but ile take u down st pauls and knowle west, if we get out alive (becase we have police no go zones where the druggies are) you can correct youre comment on here. i beleive as quite a few do on here,in the individuals right to choose wherether or not to arm himself. and after weve all fallen out on here about it its all hypothetical!!!

This is one of them occasions where we'll have to agree to disagree i think! :welcomeani:

probably the type who would use a forum name the same as a rather unreliable brand of french tin can makers

What? Heinz? :welcomeani::lol:

Peugeot is a new member so lets not be too harsh.

Why shouldn't we have the right to pack heat?

Well, in my view, it's all about control, and training.

Many of us still have impulsive instincts.

If that drunken gobby idiot outside the club started to give you mouth, what would you do if you were "packing heat"?

You would very likely take a life, which was not yours to take, and spend the rest of your life behind bars, being taken from behind by the most endowed guy you have ever met, every day.

To carry a gun in public, in this fabulous country we live in, you need to be trained, a bit like the Police, who have been trained, to a very high standard and to a point where in a split second, they can determine whether or not, they should pull that trigger.

Training kicks in, not impulse. This would not be the case if everyone was "packing heat". There would probably be someone shot down your road every day.

You will notice on this, or any other shooting site, which is a public site, why even my local school trawl the pages, so children too, that ticket holders who post on here do not take kindly to any blaze e talk where guns are involved.

Though it may sound contradictory, shooters have a huge respect for life, and do more to conserve it, and to maintain a balance than any other group of enthusiasts.

Spot on Jim :o

Harehills and Chapeltown in Leeds? :lol:

Thats my local pigeon club :no: My dad has been the sec there for many moons. :lol:

In America more and more States are allowing concealed carry but why would we want it over here? Even if you got into some bother and shot someone it wouldn't end there. Assuming the police agreed it was self defence (unlikely without a court case) you still have the victim's family and the various members of his street gang to worry about for the rest of your life.

Easier to just hand over your cash and mobile phone

Edited by Vince Green

That is quite a bit lower than the general perception. As the US population is approx 5x UK, that would translate to about 1.2million carrying in the UK. I think that works out at about twice the current number of SGC & FAC holders doesn't it?

That is different from some of the scenarios discussed on here where everyone and their dog is "packing" and shooting anything that looks at them the wrong way.

Even in the most heavily armed states only around 5% of the adult population CCW's. In Virginia about 210,000 people are licensed.

CCW stands for carrying concealed weapon btw.

Thankyou Dr.Scholl and gsm1968,and one or two others.Each time this subject comes up you get the usual,'there'll be people shooting each other in the streets' plus all the other bumf.why do people automatically assume that because you want the right to defend you family and yourself,you're going to automatically start shooting people at every opportunity?

I would no sooner walk down a high-risk street with a concealed weapon than i would without one.Why would I automatically go looking for trouble and put everything I cherish(my kids,my family amd my freedom) at risk?Look at it like insurance....I have car insurance,but it doesn't mean I drive dangerously;I have life insurance,but I don't take risks;I have fire extinguishers but it doesn't mean I leave the fireguard off when I go to bed.

The people who oppose us having even sporting firearms,look at those weapons with the same view of those shooters who would oppose handguns for self-defence.That's exactly how they see us.I'm not trying to persuade those shooters opposed to armed self-defence to agree with me,everyones entitled to their opinion,but surely that opinion has to be rational .

If you think it's acceptable to simply hand over your cash and mobile phone Vince,then that's fine,but don't expect me to follow suit.I wouldn't find it acceptable to take another life over a mobile phone and a bit of cash,but where's the guarantee it'll end there?Just because you refuse to become a victim doesn't mean you have to shoot someone.

I've had a loaded gun pointed at me while on holiday in Bulgaria by a bar tender who mistakenly thought I was a threat;it's one hell of a deterrant .

Thankyou Dr.Scholl and gsm1968,and one or two others.Each time this subject comes up you get the usual,'there'll be people shooting each other in the streets' plus all the other bumf.why do people automatically assume that because you want the right to defend you family and yourself,you're going to automatically start shooting people at every opportunity?

I would no sooner walk down a high-risk street with a concealed weapon than i would without one.Why would I automatically go looking for trouble and put everything I cherish(my kids,my family amd my freedom) at risk?Look at it like insurance....I have car insurance,but it doesn't mean I drive dangerously;I have life insurance,but I don't take risks;I have fire extinguishers but it doesn't mean I leave the fireguard off when I go to bed.

The people who oppose us having even sporting firearms,look at those weapons with the same view of those shooters who would oppose handguns for self-defence.That's exactly how they see us.I'm not trying to persuade those shooters opposed to armed self-defence to agree with me,everyones entitled to their opinion,but surely that opinion has to be rational .

If you think it's acceptable to simply hand over your cash and mobile phone Vince,then that's fine,but don't expect me to follow suit.I wouldn't find it acceptable to take another life over a mobile phone and a bit of cash,but where's the guarantee it'll end there?Just because you refuse to become a victim doesn't mean you have to shoot someone.

I've had a loaded gun pointed at me while on holiday in Bulgaria by a bar tender who mistakenly thought I was a threat;it's one hell of a deterrant .

well said mate,i think (correct me if im wrong,cas i sometimes i am!) the people making the mst noise are the ones that have had no experience of pistol shooting.(real pistols,not pellet,or air ) and the level of auto hysteria therell be mass killings chaos people will shoot people in pubs etc christ they just type the first thing that comes into their heads. another good reason to ban all soaps,its turning people brains into mush!!

Thanks for that Runningman;you could be right about the soaps!Speaking of which;who the hell are the Kardashians?

My teenage daughter is obsessed with them and it's doing my skull in(fit daughters mind!),every time I get in from work it's on the bleedin' telly!I've never heard of them. :blush:

Thanks for that Runningman;you could be right about the soaps!Speaking of which;who the hell are the Kardashians?

My teenage daughter is obsessed with them and it's doing my skull in(fit daughters mind!),every time I get in from work it's on the bleedin' telly!I've never heard of them. :blush:

yes mate I've not a clue! Look em up on wikipedia! Prob too high maintenance for us mate!

Firstly, there aren't many shoot outs in Northern Ireland between holders and carriers of PPW's (personal protection weapons).

Whilst at times, there is a necessity to carry a pistol, there are wider implications, what you can wear, where you can go and what you can do are restricted by that bit of metal at your hip.

And thats before you even use it. Lets forget about the law, and look at the basics. You have to be prepared, to pull that weapon, and being 100% convinced of the threat to your life, be prepared to a look a man in the eye, and take his life from him. You will then have to live with that decision and your own feelings of killing another human being. And lets be honest, we aren't talking Hollywood shoot outs at 40 yards, we're talking up close and personal , at ranges of probably no further than 10 yards.

I also think we should get away with the notion of using a gun to "put off" trouble, the only time that pistol should leave it's holster, is when the user is in a situation where they will be pulling that trigger.

I like to go along the lines wherever possible of "If a place is that dangerous that you need to take a gun, don't go there."