unusual or exotic pets?

aj85

thats a good age! so theres a few reptile keepers lurking the forums then!

heres a pic of my biggest atm, his name is tiny and he is an adult male burmese python just over 14 foot and still a young snake.

(remember females are bigger than this!)

Photo2501.jpg

170920091481.jpg

That is huge, How big is the tank for that thing? I am petrified of snakes, I couldnt sleep at night knowing that was in the house!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh, she's not doing bad! here she is getting ready for a bath/ drink/ waterfight with herself!

DSC00044.jpg

your snake looks massive :blink: do you feed it goats, muntjac and small children?

A good friend and ex-colleague's mum apparently cried over the phone when he told her about all the snakes and lizards I was keeping at the time. Bit odd especially as I was in Essex and she lives in Germany. He wasn't much better himself and could only talk about them for a few seconds w/o getting the wobbles. Nowt as strange as folk!

That is huge, How big is the tank for that thing? I am petrified of snakes, I couldnt sleep at night knowing that was in the house!!

he still has some growing to do!

he is currently housed in a 10x4x3 foot vivarium with double locked doors and perspex instead of glass (perspex wont smash if he hits it)

that size enclosure is more than enough for him as he is pretty lazy and usually sleeps most of the day.

food wise he usually gets rabbits or guinnea pigs, plus the occasional stray lol

id say he could easily manage a mid sized munty, but yet to try him on one.

i do have a few species that can grow larger than him but they are still babies, i have one im sure will exceed 16 foot as he is over 7 foot now and not yet a year old!

How many snakes/pets do you have in total?

That is one big snake, You could put it behind 10 foot perspex and I would still be petrified!!

he is a good sized male but is as soft as anything, just a big lump of muscle (with teeth at one end) as long as i keep my distance at feeding time he is great to handle.

i have 12 snakes here atm. did have anither 20 baby boa constrictors which i bred from my pair but all are sold but one.

have all the larger species like green anacondas, yellow anacondas, african rock pythons, burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, carpet pythons and boa constrictors.

also have large monitor lizards, nile monitor, asian water monitor and a bosc monitor

a snapping turtle and a few tarantulas

a jack russel and a japanese akita

oh and the mrs has a pet rat (don't ask!)

Thats a HUGE snake. I used to have a Bearded Dragon but he passed away at the age of 10 last year. Still have the viv and have considered getting another or another species but he was irreplaceable so will probably just sell it. Would like to see pictures of your lizards if you have any.

post-21568-1281548548.jpg

Thats a HUGE snake. I used to have a Bearded Dragon but he passed away at the age of 10 last year. Still have the viv and have considered getting another or another species but he was irreplaceable so will probably just sell it. Would like to see pictures of your lizards if you have any.

thats a shame mate, beardies are great lizards! ... i've got 1 baby boa constrictor left if your viv needs filling lol

this is my bosc, he's just under 3 foot and will eat anything! including fingers!

Photo473.jpg

this is my asian water monitor, he is a little over 3 foot but this species is the second largest on the planet with large adult males reaching around 9 foot. although most get to around 5-7 foot.

Photo480.jpg

Photo479.jpg

and finally my nile, these are the largest lizards in africa at between 4-7 foot. but have a very bad attitude!

Photo462.jpg

the last two are still babies but are still powerful hunters...

my water monitor did this to a hamster (already dead) in less than 2 mins!

DSC00299.jpg

heres a pic of my biggest atm, his name is tiny and he is an adult male burmese python just over 14 foot and still a young snake.

(remember females are bigger than this!)

Photo2501.jpg

170920091481.jpg

Bit bigger than the average grass snake :blink:

Usually by now someone says they own a Trouser Snake . I keep Wasps. Got a couple in the conservatory right now.

yea, surprised that one hasn't come up!

he had a good feed (3 rabbits) last week, ill post some pics up next feeding time!

They are brilliant lizards :blink: . I would love something like that when I more room/time. A Boa would be amazing but I just couldn't justify keeping one at the moment, I have two nutty Parson Russells and this little fella (hes older than me!) keeping me occupied at the minute.

post-21568-1281553053.jpg

Edited by Jamie_

Not really unusual....but the 'Rizzini Kid' has...an African Grey, 3 lizards,Bearded dragon/leopard gecko/Basilisk. a Grass Carp called Bugatti,3 chickens,Black rock/Maran/Road Island Red, and a Darkling Beetle.....!!!!! all round Nan and Grandads.........thank good....... :blink: :):good:

And he told Mum he is getting a King Charles..when her Cats die.......... :oops::oops::lol:

ATB

Tony

Not really unusual....but the 'Rizzini Kid' has...an African Grey, 3 lizards,Bearded dragon/leopard gecko/Basilisk. a Grass Carp called Bugatti,3 chickens,Black rock/Maran/Road Island Red, and a Darkling Beetle.....!!!!! all round Nan and Grandads.........thank good....... :blink: :):good:

And he told Mum he is getting a King Charles..when her Cats die.......... :oops::oops::lol:

ATB

Tony

how do you find the basilisk mate? have heard they are pretty quick!

Once went with my son to buy a LIZARD his school mate

was selling,the guy asked us in and the smell was horrendous,

he took us up to a bedroom with sheet metal on the door and

inside was a 5 foot caiman in a kids paddling pool, the stink

was stomach churning, four foot up the walls all the plaster was

missing down to the brick,this kids dad had smuggled it from

abroad somewhere as a baby,they were chucking chicken carcasses

in a hatch to feed it,I just looked at the guy and said you need

a zoo mate not 50 quid and walked out, my son still wanted the

thing but ended up with a baby python :) think I was conned.

as I had been refusing him one for months until I saw this thing,

and dreaded the thought of him just fetching it home. :blink:

Once went with my son to buy a LIZARD his school mate

was selling,the guy asked us in and the smell was horrendous,

he took us up to a bedroom with sheet metal on the door and

inside was a 5 foot caiman in a kids paddling pool, the stink

was stomach churning, four foot up the walls all the plaster was

missing down to the brick,this kids dad had smuggled it from

abroad somewhere as a baby,they were chucking chicken carcasses

in a hatch to feed it,I just looked at the guy and said you need

a zoo mate not 50 quid and walked out, my son still wanted the

thing but ended up with a baby python :) think I was conned.

as I had been refusing him one for months until I saw this thing,

and dreaded the thought of him just fetching it home. :blink:

bloody hell! take it the guy didnt have a dwa license for it.

and not surprised about the smell especially feeding chicken, lucky no one caught salmonella!

i was considering getting a caiman but ended up with a snapping turtle instead!

better off with the python mate.

bloody hell! take it the guy didnt have a dwa license for it.

and not surprised about the smell especially feeding chicken, lucky no one caught salmonella!

i was considering getting a caiman but ended up with a snapping turtle instead!

better off with the python mate.

Didnt have anything in the way of a licence he just wanted rid

of it, he was also feeding rats but the place hadnt been cleaned

in years,the smell instantly made your eyes water and you

couldnt breath without wanting to throw up,there was little kids

running about in this place and all the inside of the door frame and

window was covered with was chicken wire,it ended up at a rescue

centre somewhere after they shifted out and left it to the council

to get rid of.

Didnt have anything in the way of a licence he just wanted rid

of it, he was also feeding rats but the place hadnt been cleaned

in years,the smell instantly made your eyes water and you

couldnt breath without wanting to throw up,there was little kids

running about in this place and all the inside of the door frame and

window was covered with was chicken wire,it ended up at a rescue

centre somewhere after they shifted out and left it to the council

to get rid of.

to be honest mate it happens a hell of a lot. i once went to pick up a scorpion from a polish guy and he had a room full, i mean at least 100 scorpions all on the dangerous wild animals list.

he had the top 3 deadliest species all of which require a license, home check secure enclosure, insurance etc.

literally stacked in tuppaware boxes in his living room!

its like with the larger snakes and lizards which anyone can buy without any experience as a tiny baby which if given the proper care will grow up with the potential to seriously injure or kill!

thankfully reported cases are extremely rare in this country as most dont make it to adulthood or are given to rescue centres once they become too big or aggressive to keep safely.

This place is like a flipping zoo, breed budgies and African Grey parrots, breed and keep Koi, # types of rocks with legs moving about the garden ( Tortoises), cats x 2, GSP, A Russle, A Hushpuppy, Guinnipigs and finally a horse..................no snakes lizards etc, lived in hot climes all my life and regard them like flies, sorry.

I had a Mexican fire leg tarantula and a trinadad chevron. The trinadad was very agressive and if you opened the lid of the tank it was off. Had leopard gecko's but always found it a pain in the *** getting hold of fresh crickets. Spent a fortune driving to various places to feed the bloody things. Don't have them now. Just dogs, chickens, bantams, geese and ducks.

Harry