unusual or exotic pets?

aj85

hi guys, just wondering if there are any fellow reptile keepers on here or maby someone has any other unusual pets?

i have had reptiles for 17 years now and currently have large snakes including the four largest species in the world...

anacondas, burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, and the african rock python. also monitor lizards and snapping turtles.

so anyone else have any weird and wonderful animals lurking around at home?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leopard Gecko - had her for 14 years now!

thats a good age! so theres a few reptile keepers lurking the forums then!

heres a pic of my biggest atm, his name is tiny and he is an adult male burmese python just over 14 foot and still a young snake.

(remember females are bigger than this!)

Photo2501.jpg

170920091481.jpg

I personally do not own anything exotic, but a friend who lives a couple of roads away keeps Piranhas. He has thinned his collection down now to just four but these things are big.

One of them, sorry don't know the type and all four are different, is supposed to be the largest recorded of its type in captivity in the world at 17" :no:

Three are kept in one big tank and one is kept seperate for safety reasons.

I generally ain't scared of animals (apart from mice but they are dangerous and another story all together) but these things give you the sh*ts just looking at them through glass!

I used to enjoy catching a few freshly hatched fish fry from streams and rivers, and raise them to see what they grow in to. I've done minnows, and once, when expecting minnows, I ended up with 9 chub.

Also kept a slow worm that I rescued from the cat, let it hibernate over winter in a fish tank, then released it when it woke up.

I kept wild mice in a tank for a bit (cat again). Big mistake. The pregnant female escaped and I ended up with them everywhere.

Another odd one was when I bought a pond plant and found an odd looking creature in the container. It had a head and a tail, and was completely transparent. Grew into a great crested newt. Probably illegal to keep it because they are protected, but I didn't know what it was, and it was only curiosity that stopped me just pouring the water (and tadpole) down the sink.

Oh, and a pinktoe tarantula for an office pet, named after the boss.

I personally do not own anything exotic, but a friend who lives a couple of roads away keeps Piranhas. He has thinned his collection down now to just four but these things are big.

One of them, sorry don't know the type and all four are different, is supposed to be the largest recorded of its type in captivity in the world at 17" :no:

Three are kept in one big tank and one is kept seperate for safety reasons.

I generally ain't scared of animals (apart from mice but they are dangerous and another story all together) but these things give you the sh*ts just looking at them through glass!

Probably red bellied (Serrasalmus natteri) and Serrasalmus Notatus (donkey skinned) The largest piranha and by far the most aggressive is Serrasalmus Niger or black piranha but there is some sceptism to its actual existance. Red bellied and donkey skinned are I think the only two breeds that are legally allowed to be imported into Britain.

Donkey skinned looks similar to the red bellied version but differs by a large black spot behind the gills.

I started out with ten and ended up with four. One large female rules the tank. The others give her a very wide birth. They honestly dont deserve the reputation they have as they are mainly fish eaters and occasionally carrion in thier natural enviroment. Only when the amazon waters are low and the shoals are stranded in small pools and cut off from a food source would it be wise not to go skinny dipping.

I used to keep all sorts of Turtles, Terrapins and Tortoises.

Snappers, Soft-shelled, snake necked, Box, Star shelled etc.

Don't have anywhere to keep them now.

For the past few months we've been looking after my daughter's 4ft long Royal Python 'til she finds somewhere to live.