best 17hmr mod

eddoakley

Which ones do you all use?

I currently have a wildcat whisper apparently :good:

It was on the gun when I got it and has tape on so I havent checked exactly what it is/says on it.

It is the over barrell type which I like so what else is about if I wanna get a new one?

Cheers

Edd

Not over the barrel but so light and small you won't notice, the LEI is what I have and would strongly recommend, except for the price. It's amazingly effective and it's stainless steel, so no worries even though you can't dismantle it.

:good::yes:

I was going to post this myself, it says a lot, and is not exactly complimentary about £125 worth of Whisper.

Personally I think the Wildcat Whisper is the biggest con going, which does seem strange as I have a lot of time for the centrefire Wildcat Predator 8 (Compact).

Hey Ho, just my opinion! :hmm:

PS

There isn't a great mod for a 17HMR, it will still be noisy whatever you use due to the velocity and size of the round. £30-£35 of SAK works for me!

ATB!

PPS

The Sirocco is OK but I do not think it is worth the the extra over the SAK...I'm on my second Sirocco for some reason, when this goes it is SAK all the way!

Edited by Dekers

:yes::lol:

I was going to post this myself, it says a lot, and is not exactly complimentary about £125 worth of Whisper.

Personally I think the Wildcat Whisper is the biggest con going, which does seem strange as I have a lot of time for the centrefire Wildcat Predator 8 (Compact).

Hey Ho, just my opinion! ???

PS

There isn't a great mod for a 17HMR, it will still be noisy whatever you use due to the velocity and size of the round. £30-£35 of SAK works for me!

ATB!

PPS

The Sirocco is OK but I do not think it is worth the the extra over the SAK...I'm on my second Sirocco for some reason, when this goes it is SAK all the way!

Bang on, literally. You can spend more and you wont get £100 better quality than could have with a £35 SAK. Its a nice, accurate LOUD gun! Get used to it! lol

I have a SAK on mine and I find the noise is mostly down to the distance the bullet travels. If I shoot a rabbit at say 20yards, I don't think the HMR is that noisy at all. It's when you're sending a supersonic bullet 140yards to it's target that it echoes all round the valley which left me thinking it's more down to the bullet than the gun.

Obviously no mod is going to do anything to stop the bullet noise so I doubted it was worth spending much on the mod - hence slapping a SAK on mine.

I wish the shooting times article had done a short range test so you're just measuring the muzzle crack rather than let the bullet travel noise distort the result.

Thanks for the replies guys, certainly a lot to consider. Havent had the hmr very long and hadnt done much homework on mods, much more to think about than I had realised.

Some good links on this thread with some good write ups.

Much more to think about than .22 mods!!

Edd