stop to flush

darren m

just run this by me again

out this morning dogging in as you do 2 pips turn , long pip stop , pip , pip , pip recall.

was all ok till a few pheasants flushed :yes: , but then they refused to run/fly so my dog breaks and i loose her for 100 yards .

by then the birds have gone and she comes back to my pip pip pip rolls on her back pi** her pants and says sorry :blush: .

in training with everything from dummies to cold / warm game shes great.

so what do i do , i realise this is a stop whistle versus excitement issue

do you think this will get better with the more dogging in we do or worse.

i dont wont to give up , so wondering if walking on a lead or line might be a good approach ( with out the hunting up ) and also whats the best way to teach stop to flush :lol:

my little cocker won't stop to flush on her own i have to stop her on the whistle but she will stop to gunshot. try getting her in a rabbit pen hunt her up normaly into the wind, every time a rabbit flushes sit her up and let her see it, if she moves correct her. start to hunt her up again but correct her if she had marked the rabbit and goes to follow its line.

hope that helps thats the way i do it and it may be wrong.

Hi ya Mate

The best thing you can do is hunt her up, when she gets a flush put the stop whistle in :yes: if she fails to stop get after her with a bit of noise :blush: Take her back to the point of the flush and give her a pip. give her time to calm down then work her away from the direction the bird went.

I hope this helps a bit.

All the best Allan

My missus is much the same - Pretty embarassing at times!

Right, that's it, now I'm really hissed!

This could be a good thread with good info for me, thinks I. Nip down, get a coffee, come back and start reading. First 2 posts, fine.

Then this with coffee mug to lips!

Please send new keyboard at your earliest convenience!

Cheers

need to find a rabbit pen i think in the notts belvoir A52 / A46 area - if anyone knows of any please let me know

hunting into the wind , i forget this simple advice every time :hmm: must get it tattooed somewhere

going to take her out in the morning and use the long lead or try a retractable , see if i can get her closer on the turn and if anything flushes give a tug and stop whistle blast :look: does that sound ok?

thing is shes knows what to do , i,m just going over old ground , the little bu**er :yes:

there is nothing wrong with not hunting into the wind but you will find that the dog will try to get away with its self following sent.

sounds good with what your doing. had the problem a few weeks ago dog was turning on the whislte but not returning to me to send her the way i wanted, try keeping your left hand in your pocket when hunting up every time you turn the dog on the whislte change you stance from upright to bent over with your right hand to your side if the dog dosn't return to you, run at it correct and sit. then hunt it on and try again.

was she trainned for you as this will help

Try Fallowfen Gundogs near Newark. I was there today trying to gee my lab up a bit.

Tel: 01636 821600 | Mobile: 07749 807816

cheers kron -- i didnt know if he was still in buisness , does he have a rabbit pen , any idea what the cost per hour is .

whats the loacation postcode

young poults would rather walk than fly at this stage, it would be better if you could concentrate on something else, dogging in will only make your problem worse imo.........

try to work the dog if you must on poults, in areas where you will find single birds, rather than groups of them, as the dog will be extreemly tempted to run after a large number of birds running ahead of it.

young poults would rather walk than fly at this stage, it would be better if you could concentrate on something else, dogging in will only make your problem worse imo.........

try to work the dog if you must on poults, in areas where you will find single birds, rather than groups of them, as the dog will be extreemly tempted to run after a large number of birds running ahead of it.

if you are dogging in then you must be working your dog on a shoot does the shoot have release pens and an understanding keeper if so aske if you can take the dog into one and hunt it out use a pen thats not to large and only has a few birds in or if you have a pen that has birds not released walk the dog at heel in it sit her down and throw out a few dummies for retrieves jump on any sort of hesitation to your commands thats ANY LET THE DOG NOW YOU ARE THE BOSS growl at it and place it back to the position you gave the command to inforce the fact that you are ment in what you tell it to do.try to re-create the situation in a controlled area thats the pen to my way of thinking the dog only has to be shown what you want it to do but you have to use the thing she gets going on (thats the flushing birds) if you only use dummies it will cotton on that it aint the real thing and it will go through the motions of stopping for you .sorry if its long winded but i hope it helps. atb .

cheers kron -- i didnt know if he was still in buisness , does he have a rabbit pen , any idea what the cost per hour is .

whats the loacation postcode

he does have a rabbit pen. not sure what it would be per hour just to hire - probably £15-20ish. location is in ossington about 5 mins off the a1 north of newark.