First time beating

roadkill

listen to thte shoot captain or keeper/underkeeper

dont shout unless encouraged to, just tapp with ure stick.

watch the guns....make sure they arnt pointing the muzzles of their gun at you, if they are....remind them, unfortuantly i see this alot, and people seem to scared to ask the gun to lower or raise his muzzles further. most guns are perfectly safe, but guests etc.. or people on boys days (which will be starting soon) might be a bit more lax on gun safety.

enjoy yourself, its a good day out, and puts a few £ in your pocket.

Make a list of the gear you need-boots,gaiters,waterproofs,stick,sarnies,flask.....

Then tick them off as you load them in the car.ASK if you aren`t sure of an instruction as it`s better IMO to ask 6 times than to be shouted at and not asked again.

RELAX-were all a friendly bunch,doing something that we like(and the dosh is handy too!)so we tend to have a good craic,share hip flasks and enjoy a good day in the countryside.

Roadkill, all good advice so far from the guys.

Wear wax cotton.... everywhere, ie. jacket, hat, and especially legs, as it's thorn proof. Also for dry feet, wear wellies, not hunting boots or DM's.

Last time I beat I was sent through every head-high thicket of thorns that I could imagine. Big thorns too! Not the little ones...hehe

You will sweat like hell but you'll get a second wind after 2 or 3 drives and be fine then. If you have a pocket that'll hold a half litre bottle of water then take one, you won't be sorry.

If its a small shoot and they decide to shoot through lunch, make sure you take your packed lunch, flask etc with you on the beaters wagon, don't leave it in your car expecting to return to the "Big House" at lunch time... like I did. I was very hungry I can tell you! Worse than that I was thirsty as hell!

Oh yeah, take gloves too!

Well what can I say , I had a fantastic time the game keeper and his wife were very nice and the beaters were excellent they made me feel very welcome . Couldn't wait to get home and relax in the bath ha-ha , Ive been invited to go back next week so I cant wait , Beats the gym anytime

Well what can I say , I had a fantastic time the game keeper and his wife were very nice and the beaters were excellent they made me feel very welcome . Couldn't wait to get home and relax in the bath ha-ha , Ive been invited to go back next week so I cant wait , Beats the gym anytime

glad to hear it :lol:

Good evening all ,

On Wednesday im going beating for my first time , Is there any tips you can give me on what to wear and what I have to watch out for while im there.

Many thanks Roadkill

first time beating, dont get caught by your mum :rolleyes:

you may go blind!

Good man.

My wife went today and will be doing another couple before the season ends as they struggle a bit to get the numbers on weekdays.

Worst bit is, she can't make the beaters lunch, and she doesn't shoot so she turns down the beaters day shoot B)

Just goes to show she does it for all the right reasons I guess.

Roadkill,

If you do a few next year you will, or at least should, get an invite to the beaters day so that should be something to look forward to :rolleyes:

Hi,

I'm a member of NOBs :blink: but am yet to of found any beating through it. :lol:

FM :blink:

You should. mind you its a bit late in the season now. I am on three shoots, 2 through nobs, and 1 through a contact at one of the shoots. Had my first beaters day last week 4 Pheases and three Duck. Hope you get something, if not better luck in October :D

RoadKill,

Next time take some sweets, chocolate eclairs are best, for those cold days in the winter.

I didn't need any food or drink , they looked after us very well , Got a coffee when we arrived . Then after the first two drives we got a warm punch then we had soup bread and sausage rolls and to top the day off we had more coffee and cakes .... So all that walking i did i then put back on the calories by stuffing my face :D :blink: :blink:

RoadKill,

Next time take some sweets, chocolate eclairs are best, for those cold days in the winter.

I didn't need any food or drink , they looked after us very well , Got a coffee when we arrived . Then after the first two drives we got a warm punch then we had soup bread and sausage rolls and to top the day off we had more coffee and cakes .... So all that walking i did i then put back on the calories by stuffing my face :devil::devil::lol:

We get nothing through the day but the company is great! We all go to the pub for a meal and a drink paid by the guns. It sounds as if you'll be going again!