thrown off ST stand at Midland Game Fair

gunsmoke

Country Sports TV cameraman [ME] got thrown off the Sporting Gun/Shooting times stand at the Midland Game Fair is weekend. I'm trying to promote the Shooting Times and they did not like me filming on their stand.

I was looking around the show filming little bits of video for the show report. I got to the Sporting Gun/Shooting Times stand and on the Sporting Gun side they had a man from Napier cleaning guns. I thought that would look good on the video, something interesting.

I ask the young man cleaning guns if it was OK to film, “where are you from” he asked

“Country Sports TV on Youtube” I replied.

“You did the ‘I Like Guns’ video, great video, I’ve seen it a number of times.” he said.

All Ok and I filmed him cleaning a gun.

Then some bloke came over “who are you” he demanded

“I’m Ian” I replied

“Where are you from” he said sharply

“I’m from Country Sports TV and I do little videos to promote country sports on Youtube” I replied.

“your a rival company we have our own production company and you should have asked if you could film on the stand.” he went on and on.

I replied “I was on the Union of Country Sports Workers stand and I’m the PRO and to help promote country sports I do my little videos on youtube. I do not get paid for this, its all voluntary. I’ve been in the gun trade for 40 years”

he said “I do not know who you are” and walked off.

I was going to tell him that Robin Marshal-Ball referred to me in an article recently in his very own magazine the Shooting Times. I’m only trying to promote all country sports, I do not see anyone as a rival. I was the first person to put country sports videos on to Youtube with the UCSW channel over four years ago.

I’ve been a reader of the Shooting Times for 40 years, I thought I was helping them?

I will not be buying the Shooting Times again.

If I upload the video with the ST on it, do you think I'll get free ST's for the next year?

If you do get the freebies at least you'll stand by your word not to buy it again. ???

Can't believe anyone would object to a bit of free marketing but then again some people in certain circles are right up themselves!

When can we see the uploaded vid? Go for it

Its a little like the CA people filming on the BASC stand David I'm sure given recent membership drives there would be fistycuffs before it was over.

Its not a big explanation but look at it a bit from their side, they've paid a lot to be there got a demo going on and someone they don't know from Adam starts filming it. If they thought you were in the same business then yes most people would get upset. Personally i'd put it down to experience and try and get the napier guy to do another demo for you to film as its certainly a good free advert for their products.

As for the Shooting Times I actually like it for bog reading and often its one step ahead of what you read here

If the CA wants to publicise BASC and all we do for shooting, then I am more than happy for them to do it! I would help them as much as possible to promote BASC :good:

Indeed, at the midland we got loads of people coming onto our membership stand, having seems the CA's price comparison poster with BASC to ask why there was a difference, all but one joined BASC there and then!

Just like BASC have in the past help promote the CA and their fight for hunting.

Free promotion is free promotion!

No fisticuffs at all!

David

Country Sports TV cameraman [ME] got thrown off the Sporting Gun/Shooting times stand at the Midland Game Fair is weekend. I'm trying to promote the Shooting Times and they did not like me filming on their stand.

I was looking around the show filming little bits of video for the show report. I got to the Sporting Gun/Shooting Times stand and on the Sporting Gun side they had a man from Napier cleaning guns. I thought that would look good on the video, something interesting.

I was stood in front of you just after that happened at Claymans stand...LOL for future reference i think if you get the show organisers permission and a "press badge" then you can film anything legal as its normally in the show T&C's that any stand holder can be used for promotional material that was in the T&C's of most of the big exhibitions etc i have done!

If the CA wants to publicise BASC and all we do for shooting, then I am more than happy for them to do it! I would help them as much as possible to promote BASC :blush:

Indeed, at the midland we got loads of people coming onto our membership stand, having seems the CA's price comparison poster with BASC to ask why there was a difference, all but one joined BASC there and then!

Just like BASC have in the past help promote the CA and their fight for hunting.

Free promotion is free promotion!

No fisticuffs at all!

David

David/Al4x,

I think the problem is that one has no control over what is done with film taken by a 3rd party. The guy could have been filming for LACS and I don't think that ST (or BASC) would like to see material filmed on their stand at a Fair being twisted into anti-shooting propaganda. Even if an independent film-maker established his credentials as pro-shooting, you would still want to be sure that sequences filmed on your stand were not inadvertently used with the wrong slant or interpretation.

It's like magazine editors completely changing the meaning of something you have written by just altering a few words. It's happened to me umpteen times. Nowadays, when I submit anything to a magazine, I mark it "for use unedited or not at all". Even then you can't guarantee that an ignorant sub-editor doesn't foul it up. I had an example in last week's ST where they picked up on our Wildfowling Club's newsletter, copied a bit out of it in their "round the country summary of wildfowling prospects" but by changing "Iceland" to "Scandinavia" made the report look crassly stupid.