Browning Maxus Opinions

killer_pigeon

I've got one in black with 26" barrels - use it solely for the woodies and I think its a great gun. Really light with very little recoil using 32g no.6s. The speed loading feature is a bit of a gimmick, but has been quite useful on a couple of occasions - especially when you want to quickly load a steel shell for the ducks coming overhead etc.

It'll only cycle 2 3/4 shells upwards, but I think thats the same with most semis (correct me if I'm wrong!), but it will cycle anything from 21gram upwards.

Easy to fit using included shim-kits and stock spacers and includes set of chokes and inter-changeable sight beads - white, green and orange in different sizes.

I haven't regretted buying mine for a second.

ATB

JB

I've got one in black with 26" barrels - use it solely for the woodies and I think its a great gun. Really light with very little recoil using 32g no.6s. The speed loading feature is a bit of a gimmick, but has been quite useful on a couple of occasions - especially when you want to quickly load a steel shell for the ducks coming overhead etc.

It'll only cycle 2 3/4 shells upwards, but I think thats the same with most semis (correct me if I'm wrong!), but it will cycle anything from 21gram upwards.

Easy to fit using included shim-kits and stock spacers and includes set of chokes and inter-changeable sight beads - white, green and orange in different sizes.

I haven't regretted buying mine for a second.

ATB

JB

I couldn't agree more. I bought a hunter grade 2 wood one. Use it for clays as well as pigeons. It is light which I prefer, find it very easy to get onto targets, virtually no recoil and I love the speed loading especially in the hide.

Mine has yet to jam once unlike my mate's Hatsan!

I wouldn't be without it now.

cheers,

thinking to get one one of these semi's in camo for the woodys.

Anybody have good or bad opinions please.

I cant find one local to me to hold or try so may have to travel to get one but dont want to make the effort if gun is no good.

thanks

The Maxus is an exceptional piece of kit, beautifully engineered, light in weight and very quick/pointable.

I only use mine for clays, and have bought a couple of extended Browning Midas chokes (easier to change/check if tight) the standard items are flush internal.

On my third outing with it in standard out-of-the-box config I equalled my best ever score with my Ultra OU - there is something inherently 'right' with it.

A note of caution -the Maxus receiver is long - so a 28" gun is about the same length as a 30" OU - if you are shooting out of a hide you might want to know that?

I have shot 28grm and 24grm - no cycling issues - perfect.

Edited by Cosmicblue

Totally agree with the above comments about the quality of the Maxus. I have had mine for a few months now and cannot fault it, cycles brilliantly, recoil is minimal, fully adjustable with shims and spacers, speed load is the ******** perfect for the hide and it is just such a pointable gun. If you can try to find somewhere you can try one first, as they may not be everyone's cup of tea?! Would not swap my Maxus for anything else now.......... RIP Hatstand ???

would it be a better gun than the beretta 391 im toying with idea of doing a swap but a few lads said the 391 would be the better gun and should hold onto it ???

'Better' is hard to define, the Maxus certainly represents the pinnacle of design for a semi-auto and had been some 6 or so years in development from a blank sheet starting point. The new design approach is evident everywhere - take the fore end, there is no screw on cap like most guns of this type - but a latch similar to a OU, and it comes apart in seconds for strip down.

Prior to buying I did quite a bit of research (actually though I'd be buying a Benelli when I started out), this is an interesting article:

Browning Maxus development story

Edited by Cosmicblue

thinking to get one one of these semi's in camo for the woodys.

Anybody have good or bad opinions please.

I cant find one local to me to hold or try so may have to travel to get one but dont want to make the effort if gun is no good.

thanks

hi there,ive had my maxus about 4 months now,black composit with 30"barrel,3 1/2"chamber.ive put about 1000 shells through it now,the only problem ive had is when i first got it i only had 2 1/2" game cartridges and these tended to jam now and then,but it does say only use 2 2/4 and up and since then no problems.cracking gun,first browning semi ive had,and in my opinion far better than any beretta ive had.amount of pigeons in my freezer will verify this...go get one..

All the above articles mention clays and pigeon shooting, what about 3 1/2 cartridges for geese, has any one any experience in this field, would it compare better than the xtrema 2 for wildfowling?

My shooting pal has one and it seems to be very good. He does prefer 70mm cartridges though.

All the above articles mention clays and pigeon shooting, what about 3 1/2 cartridges for geese, has any one any experience in this field, would it compare better than the xtrema 2 for wildfowling?

On one of the US forums, Firing Line, and specifically the Shotgun section there are threads about using big loads and 3 1/2 carts for wildfowling with great success - I think the US market got the Maxus before Europe so there is a bit more experience over there. If you read all the bumph etc it seems that Browning were specifically targetting the game/wild fowl shooting market for the Maxus.

There are back to back reviews of the xtrema 2 and the Maxus on the web - both clearly very good guns, felt recoil and less muzzle flip seemed to favour the Maxus.

Iv put around 1000 carts through mine, and I still havent cleaned it :hmm:

No jams yet :no:

I would say the xtrema2 has softer felt recoil, but the maxus is not far behind and also has less muzzle flip and cycles much faster.

I have fired a few heavy fowling loads through the maxus, and it has surprisingly low felt recoil, alot less than most other autos :good:

you might have seen previous post..on cleaning semis..anyhow we tested our maxus today and me old fella had some express 2 1/2 inch shells in his cartridge bag;we fired mainly express high velocity 70mm and some eley firsts and every cartridge cycled perfectley could it be the make of the shell rather than the size for cycling problems; i;m new to autos so any feedback welcome :yahoo:

Edited by yickdaz

you might have seen previous post..on cleaning semis..anyhow we tested our maxus today and me old fella had some express 2 1/2 inch shells in his cartridge bag;we fired mainly express high velocity 70mm and some eley firsts and every cartridge cycled perfectley could it be the make of the shell rather than the size for cycling problems; i;m new to autos so any feedback welcome :yahoo:

My only jam occurred when trying to shoot 21gram 65mm CompX carts. The cartridge cycled fine, but I think the mechanics of the gun just aren't suitable for 2.5in shell and result in a jam.

My only jam occurred when trying to shoot 21gram 65mm CompX carts. The cartridge cycled fine, but I think the mechanics of the gun just aren't suitable for 2.5in shell and result in a jam.

but do you think they are better than some autos in general for reliablity and for cycling ability i know some members swear by the maxus...some by the hatstand and some by the sx3..as said i don;t have the experience that a lot of members have on different autos just what i have seen in posts :yahoo:

but do you think they are better than some autos in general for reliablity and for cycling ability i know some members swear by the maxus...some by the hatstand and some by the sx3..as said i don;t have the experience that a lot of members have on different autos just what i have seen in posts :good:

All the autos I have used have not had problems jamming. SX3, Xtrema2, M2, maxus.

All but the Xtrema2, would not consistently/reliably cycle carts under 70mm, It does state in their manuals though, to use a minimum cart length of 70mm :no:

The Xtrema2 cycled anything I fed it and not once jammed on me.

As I posted earlier, I have put about 1000 carts through the Maxus now, and have yet to clean it :yahoo: but it has not jammed up once :D

All the autos I have used have not had problems jamming. SX3, Xtrema2, M2, maxus.

All but the Xtrema2, would not consistently/reliably cycle carts under 70mm, It does state in their manuals though, to use a minimum cart length of 70mm :no:

As I posted earlier, I have put about 1000 carts through the Maxus now, and have yet to clean it :yahoo: but it has not jammed up once :D

cheers chripti i know you own a maxus and like me you shoot a few pigeons so your input is well reicieved :good:

So Chrispti in your opinion, is it the Maxus or the xtrema 2? Is the xtrema 2 much heavier than the Maxus? Is the extra weight of the xtrema better to reduce muzzle flip? Purely for geese what would the choice be?

All but the Xtrema2, would not consistently/reliably cycle carts under 70mm, It does state in their manuals though, to use a minimum cart length of 70mm :good:

As I posted earlier, I have put about 1000 carts through the Maxus now, and have yet to clean it :blush: but it has not jammed up once :hmm: