Shell decoys

s.stimson

Hi there. This is probley a very simple question but since it is my first I thought I would start gentley. Up untill now I've been shooting over my brothers full body decoys but since he has decided to move to the other end of the country it makes borrowing then a bit hard so I have invested in the shell type ones since they are easier to carry howeverI have noticed they are a bit "flat" in shap do people leave them flat or place an elastic band around there middles to make them a bit rounder?

Simon.

Welcome, without knowing the particular type, lets assume they are "normal" shell decoys,

I certainly dont put an elastic band round mine and I have never heard of a brand that needs this.

They are certainly easier to carry than full bodies.

The majority of my decoys are shells.

Full bodies are the best be it for pigeons or geese or any quarry they give a more realistic pattern than shells from above the only good thing about shells are easy carrying, i've got 120 full bodied in the shed but I use the 60 shells i've got cos im lazy.

I've got some shels that are a bit on the wide side (cant think of the make offhand and i'm not digging through that muddy backpack now,cos i've just had a shower :) )but i've never noticed them putting the birds off in the past.The thing is make sure you dont put them in the bottom of your bag and then stuff a half hundredweight of other gear on top,or they may suffer a lot of middle aged spread ;)

Ive got a doz or so of those wide shell decoys and i never use them,they futter alright in the breeze but dont like the look of them. But thinking about it now the best mallard decoys are the large ones perhaps it would work the same for pigeon. I dont suppose they have better eye sight than mallard, so if it works for mallard why not pigeon.

If rags work for wildfowl, they can,t be all that clever. :)

I think if a decoy has got some movement and approx the right shape and colour, it will at least make them come and have a look.

I don,t think exact detail matter, like the eye being the authentic colour.

When the pigeons get that close to my decoys, they are usually dead. ;)

Have to agree with you there Columbus.

I've also got some of those large shells and I never use them, they are at the back of the shed some were.

They just dont look right when used in the coy pattern and im sure that pigeon dont like the look of them and flare away.

;):) Buzzer

When goose and duck hunting in the fields, you should not mix your standard sized decoys with your magnum (oversized) decoys as this will flare birds off. Don't know why but it does.- Run the same decoys in the same size class no problems. Maybe pigeons are the same, worth a try. The nice thing about magnums is the birds do pick them up farther out.

There will not be a poll to decide what is suitable language.

As long as there is not a proliferation of bad language, "soft" swear words will be allowed.

A list of "approved" words will not be published.

Members are requested to use their discretion.

Anything considered too offensive, will be deleted.

Good idea William. Can you replace the words with alternative "clean" versions, or otherwise YP's posts will be all asterisks, and illegible!

;):)

And don't forget - you can't blank out "cock" on a shooting forum!

LOL

:unsure:

PS I'm surprised Cranners left that pic of Craigie making love to his car on for so long!

:angry: