My new .17 fireball

jcf1

maybe sunday evening bud if you are about then? If you are lucky I might let you watch me miss some rabbits with it :yes:

Sounds about right, dont understand new calibres when we can all miss perfectly well with the stuff we have got :good::angry:

I have some stuff to sort 2moro but will let you know what Les and I plan.

ATB

Edd

Nice rifle! I used the 25grn V-Max through my Ackley Hornet and they work very well. The little .17s are lovely rifles for flat ground, you almost have to try to make them ricochet. They make soup of a Charlies internals too, but then most things would at 3500fps+!

Nice rifle! I used the 25grn V-Max through my Ackley Hornet and they work very well. The little .17s are lovely rifles for flat ground, you almost have to try to make them ricochet. They make soup of a Charlies internals too, but then most things would at 3500fps+!

I can imagine! Most of the foxing vids I've seen with .17 they seem to drop with a shudder - very humane. Mind you I can't fault my .308 as a cracker of a foxing tool, this ones mainly for the bunnies. Got sick to the back teeth of utterly ridiculous hmr ammo prices locally, and this works out around the same cost but performance that isn't even comparable.

I din't understand all of these new calibers but I guess that it is "Fox Legal" (Thinking about it that is a stupid thing to say or you wouldn't say you were going to "frighten" Charlie with it would you - Oh well it's early in the morning for me, sorry!) :good::angry::yes:

The important thing is that it looks good and I am sure it will do the job admirably. I hope you enjoj it mate! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yup - fired a few through it this morning. Managed a 1" group at 100yds of a wobbly plywood bench in a muddy field. Sure I could easily get a 1/4" group on a decent benchrest. Still not blooded it, but it will do a fine job on Charlie. As far as fox legal is concerned, any rifle is effectively fox legal - just as long as it could be seen to be humane. No minimum calibre - just ACPO guidelines. I still prefer the .308 on foxes I'm pretty sure and this will mostly be a rabbit gun I expect but I'd rather slot charlie with this than the hmr it replaced. This has some serious speed on it!

Awesome little round I was well impressed and for the chap who asked- the mod is a - Wildcat Predator 8

heres the 3 rifles we zeroed this morning

top to botton

308 - jcf1

17 Fireball - jcf1

223 - mine

30817Fireball223.jpg

can't wait to see how destructive the 17 Fireball is on Bunnies ( we'll know better on Sunday evening) :good:

:Les :angry:

Edited by Lez325

nice looking gun but its wasted as a bunny gun, make a good fox and winged vermin gun though

i agree i wouldnt like to use it on bunnys all the time. me and my old man are thinking of having his 222 changed for a 17 or 20 cal next year.

will more then likely be the 20 tac as it will have a choice of 32 grain bullets at 4000fps or the 40 grain bullets around 3700 fps to 3800 fps WITH deadly accuracy

Edited by jamie g

proper bunny control is rimfire territory, and trying it with a floorplate is ineffective at best.

I'm not so sure. I know on some ground a slow stalk with a .22lr is a great method but when they get really jumpy it takes much longer to stalk into range and I find it wastes a lot of time. I've got a few fields like that where I can settle down on the bipod in the middle of the field and cover the best part of 1200 yards of hedge through 360 degrees. That's where a centrefire works wonders, you can shoot anything that pops out anywhere in the field without having to move. I can bag dozens in a couple of hours with those tactics because although they hear the boom and hide, all the bunnies apart from the ones where the shot impacts don't recognise it as a local threat because nothing passes the warren. They only take a couple of minutes to come back out and you can nail another one. Often the ones behind you don't even bother to run in and you can take three or four shots in various directions before you have to pause and wait for them to return.

It's expensive and the rimfires will always rule the majority of situations but now and again sniping a field like this is so much quicker than sneaking around slowly trying not to spook them.