.17 HMR WHICH BULLETS

paulthekiller

Hi all

bullets for .17 Ive been shooting Hornady v-max 17 gr red tip but what is the difference between the blue tip, looking on the bottom of the boxes the .17 HMR ballistics chart says /muzzle 2550 fps / 100yd 1901fps / 200yd 1378fps/.which is the same as the blue box :angry: so if anyone knows i would be interested thanks :good:

This has been discussed several times and there are all sorts of theories, including...they got the color dies mixed up, the most likely explanation in my view is the very poor uptake of the Mach2 which used the Blue tip, hence load them into the HMR.

Anyway, it's all speculation, bottom line is they are/were cheaper than the red, and as far as I have found they perform the same.

Interestingly had 3 almighty ricochets with the 17g ballistic tips on Thursday never had 3 in a night before, ground was soft, very few stones, but some real whizzers! (I'm not trying to open the ricochet business again, just a observation).

Hi all

bullets for .17 Ive been shooting Hornady v-max 17 gr red tip but what is the difference between the blue tip, looking on the bottom of the boxes the .17 HMR ballistics chart says /muzzle 2550 fps / 100yd 1901fps / 200yd 1378fps/.which is the same as the blue box :yes: so if anyone knows i would be interested thanks :good:

i use the blue tips and there is no diffrence between them and the red tips also im getting the blues at £8.50 a box compared to £10+ for all the others stick with the blues :angry:

In answer to the question of what is the difference between the Hornady Red Tips and the Hornady Blue Tips it is quite simple - There is no difference whatsoever appart from the colour of the tips in my rifle but there might be a difference in the price from one dealer to another! I am perfectly happy to use either in my CZ452 Varmint, depending on which I can get cheaper whenever I need to buy them without having to rezero my rifle. (I currently have Red Tips available to me at £10.99 per box from Syrus at The Shooting Shack, which I think is a fairly reasonable price compared to some of the prices (Up to £18 per box from one robbing so-and so!) I have been quoted in the past!)

Edit: Just out of interest Paul what price are you getting them at and where from please?

Edited by Frenchieboy

I have also been thinking whats the difference if any. Been zeroing my first 17hmr @ 100yds (Browning T Bolt) and was using Winchester supreme but was getting frustrated as I was only getting accurate to about 40mm. so run through some Remmingtons and then some red tips and blue tips. Out of them all I found the blue tips grouped within 15mm, red tips were about 20mm.

They all cost the same £10 but I find it strange how different brands perform when you would think they should be the same, these are after all a mass produced item.

Psycologically now I think that I need to stick to the blue tips and swapping will make my accuracy go down the pan!

In answer to the question of what is the difference between the Hornady Red Tips and the Hornady Blue Tips it is quite simple - There is no difference whatsoever appart from the colour of the tips in my rifle but there might be a difference in the price from one dealer to another! I am perfectly happy to use either in my CZ452 Varmint, depending on which I can get cheaper whenever I need to buy them without having to rezero my rifle. (I currently have Red Tips available to me at £10.99 per box from Syrus at The Shooting Shack, which I think is a fairly reasonable price compared to some of the prices (Up to £18 per box from one robbing so-and so!) I have been quoted in the past!)

Edit: Just out of interest Paul what price are you getting them at and where from please?

Hi Frenchieboy

Its been interesting what people say about red & blue tips but i bought 150 today at £35.67 they are £11.89 a box for the red and £9.70 for the blue from Central Garage Rufford Southport .

Interestingly had 3 almighty ricochets with the 17g ballistic tips on Thursday never had 3 in a night before, ground was soft, very few stones, but some real whizzers! (I'm not trying to open the ricochet business again, just a observation).

Bear in mind though that these "real whizzers" were more than likely fragments and not whole bullets. They sound a lot worse than they are.

I use the blue tips as I get them at £10 per box, and bullets are bullets! However I did get a few 200 of the Remington gold tip Boatail ones and they were damn good! Accurate and messy! Just a little bit more than the Hornady ones so ill stick with them as they do the job.

Hope you enjoy your .17, its a nice gun.

This has been discussed several times and there are all sorts of theories, including...they got the color dies mixed up, the most likely explanation in my view is the very poor uptake of the Mach2 which used the Blue tip, hence load them into the HMR.

Anyway, it's all speculation, bottom line is they are/were cheaper than the red, and as far as I have found they perform the same.

Weird, same ammo, same calibre, same ground conditions and I had 2 last night having never had any before! Scared the hell out of me and I had to stop and clean the barrel I was worried I'd put a dodgy round through it!

I find there's variation from different batches of ammo from the same manufacturer too. I bought a load of winchester ammo because I'd tried a box and they shot really well but the batch I bought a load of weren't so accurate.

In future, I would buy one box of ammo from the shop, give them a try and if they shoot well, I'd call the shop and tell them to put 500 aside for me.