This evenings stag

sako751sg

post-18885-1287092034.jpg post-18885-1287092050.jpg

Always take the first couple of weeks off in October hopefully to get a crack at the stags during the rut but more often than not we blank.Have approx 1000 acres of arable hill ground and about 400 that have the chance of red.If lucky we get a couple of stags a year,but only spikers and ******* usually and have never saw a big head on it in the 8 ish years ive shot it but always delight to get one of any size.Went up on Monday with Mac,and although no roaring we watched a stag with a hind but didnt get the chance of a shot.Went yesterday afternoon,and 2 hinds and calves came out approx 400 yards away,followed by a stag that looked huge to me.I filmed him for a while,and then left Mac and stalked into him.He was about 10 yards into the neighbours ground,but the hinds were on mine so i hoped he would follow.It was very heavy drizzle,and a stalk that i thought deserved a shot,but i got into position and he never presented a chance.To say i was gutted is an understatement as id never dreamed of getting the chance of a big one.I headed up this afternoon with the brother,and when we got there the stag was visible in the same place.Luckily he went into the woods and gave us the chance to get into a decent position so we got set up waited.About an hour later,the hinds appeared just over 300 yards away,and the stag came out and pushed them back in.We both got a good look at him and again the old ticker was working overtime.After 4 hours,the hinds again appeared,and suddenly we saw the stag already out,and moving away pretty sharpish and would soon be out of shot.I got on him as he was trotting,and stopped him with a shout at about the 250 yards marks.He was quartering away,so i kept the shot well back and when i pulled i saw the impact spot on.He ran about 40 yards before rearing up slightly and dropping.On gralloching the shot had been spot on and was throught he heart.Seems and absolute huge beast with a cracking 14 point head which is beyond my wildest expectations.We dragged it about 200 yards and then got the jeep the rest.Big thanks to the bro for the drag as i would have struggled without him.

post-18885-1287092071.jpgpost-18885-1287092082.jpgpost-18885-1287092114.jpgpost-18885-1287092130.jpg

A couple of pics from fishing last week.Had about 10 between the two of us,including some absolute mint and sea-liced grilse which seem to be running later every year.

post-18885-1287093699.jpgpost-18885-1287095153.jpg

post-18885-1287093720.jpgpost-18885-1287093734.jpg

Also been out in among the ducks.Ive had a pond for about three years but never shot it.I started feeding it 3 weeks ago,when 5 mallard where using it.Last week there were 43 on it,and this week it had grown to 70+.I went last week,but shot a wee flooded area and ended up with 3 mallard,2 drakes and a duck.I went with Mac on Tuesday to the actual pond and downed 3,but only picked up the 2,drakes.Theres a burn runs beside the pond and i think it glided into that.Also went to another reservoir where i have the ground round about and had 3 wigeon.All in all,a superb couple of weeks rounded off with a nice stag.

post-18885-1287093711.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

Nice one !

the hinds appeared just over 300 yards away,and the stag came out and pushed them back in.

Isn`t it always the case ? The rut seems to be later this year for some reason, last year I was hearing and seeing it around the middle of September, this year it was a fortnight ago that I heard the first roars :good:

Nice one !

Isn`t it always the case ? The rut seems to be later this year for some reason, last year I was hearing and seeing it around the middle of September, this year it was a fortnight ago that I heard the first roars ;)

Way later than usual here Henry,and although the stags are in rutting mode,i havent heard one roar yet.Where i got the shot from,there were two big wallows that had been getting used so probably had been more activity but possibly through the night.

Those photos look like a fantastic time was had by all. You should be well rested and relaxed and ready to do some "serious stalking" now or was that just a "busmans holiday" anyhow mate?

Great wee holiday fella.I think ill extend it another week too,but im delighted with the bag and wont be pushing too hard for another stag.The wee man has next week off too so hes persuading me to do the same.Be rude not to really.

The stag weighed in at 89kg in the larder,which i think is around the 14 stone mark.

Good going Dave. Looks like a good few weeks was enjoyed. Will have to try and sort a night out if you fancy?

Very good few weeks fella.Went out with the lamp and covered over 30 miles the other night and didnt even see a fox.Very strange but but its better than being over run with them.

Great result. :yes: I couldn't beleive the weight of mine when I shot one, definately need 2 of you the weight is unreal. I take it the trusty .243 was used? Are you eating him or is it to the gamedealers?

The .243 done the job fella.Plenty gun for the task even out to the 250 he was.Took him to the dealer as he could of been a tad strong and the price is not bad for red the now at £1.80 a kilo.