Battery question

Bali

Hi

Can someone explain to me the difference between 7amp and 10 amp. I need to replace my 12 volt 7amp battery now because it is not holding its charge for very long, if I replace it with a 10amp will it be brighter ? the lamp in question is a clulite.

Sorry if this is a daft question but if I need to upgrade, now is the time.

Thanks

Nick

Hi

Can someone explain to me the difference between 7amp and 10 amp. I need to replace my 12 volt 7amp battery now because it is not holding its charge for very long, if I replace it with a 10amp will it be brighter ? the lamp in question is a clulite.

Sorry if this is a daft question but if I need to upgrade, now is the time.

Thanks

Nick

The lamp will be no brighter using 10A as opposed to 7A but will just last longer ;)

OK thanks for that do I need to change the bulb to a higher amp ?

Be carefull i am sure one has a plastic reflector and the other metal of some type, putting a higher watt bulb will melt the reflector if its plastic. !!!

I would buy the more powerful lamp if i were you, £45, and you will have a spare just in case,

Edited by Dougy

Be carefull i am sure one has a plastic reflector and the other metal of some type, putting a higher watt bulb will melt the reflector if its plastic. !!!

I would buy the more powerful lamp if i were you, £45, and you will have a spare just in case,

As I read it the OP was thinking of swapping a battery not a bulb.

The rating of a battery is in amp hour (Ahr). One amp hour will provide the current of 1 amp for 1 hour.

Assuming the voltage of the battery is the same the 10Ahr battery will last longer than the 7Ahr.

Yes I get it now, so my best option would be to replace with a 10ahr battery for longer lamping and a 100 watt bulb as opposed to the 50 watt curently in use to give me a brighter light provided I check it is a metal reflector. A new lamp from cluson is now £65

Thanks for your help

Nick

Yes I get it now, so my best option would be to replace with a 10ahr battery for longer lamping and a 100 watt bulb as opposed to the 50 watt curently in use to give me a brighter light provided I check it is a metal reflector. A new lamp from cluson is now £65

Thanks for your help

Nick

But if you change from a 50w bulb to a 100w bulb the battery life will be drastically reduced even on a 12v 10ah battery mate.

Thanks for your help

Nick

Do you NEED it brighter?

The sums are quite simple. Power (watts) = volts multiplied by amps. We have the power and the volts so current (in amps) = power/volts

So the 100W bulb uses 8.3A and the 50W bulb uses 4.2A.

You would need to double the batteries amp hour rating for the 100W bulb to last as long.

Do you NEED it brighter?

The sums are quite simple. Power (watts) = volts multiplied by amps. We have the power and the volts so current (in amps) = power/volts

So the 100W bulb uses 8.3A and the 50W bulb uses 4.2A.

You would need to double the batteries amp hour rating for the 100W bulb to last as long.

I think after all the advice (thank you) I will stick to what I have bulb wise, and upgrade the battery to 10amps for a little longer life. I have had this set up for 3/4 years now but out the other night with a chap and his lamp seemed much brighter and as my battery needs replacing I thought I would look at the options

Thanks again all. If you don't ask you never know

Nick ;)

As i suggested, if you really need to go brighter, Get yourself another lamp that is designed to do the job in question, or as commented you will melt the reflector and possibly the cable,

The Cluson 1/2 million is enough lamp for just about any situation whilst out lamping, If you really feel the need to check out whats in the next county get a "Light Force 170"

(typing after you had posted)

PS Treat youself to a spare lamp, it a bum when your out and it packs up for some reason miles from home, I always have a spare with me ;)

Edited by Dougy

Changing to a 100W bulb will not increase the brightness by much as you need to quadrouple the wattage to double the brightness,ordinary halogen bulbs are not very efficient any more in comparison to the likes of Zenon and Led technology,so if you want to step up light output I suggest you go for a Lightforce with a 50W/75W bulb and see the results without the battery drain.

for the clusion lamps you dont need to change the wiring, just the bulb and reflector. the battery life will die away super fast if you changed the bulb to a 100w (2 million candle power). i have the 50w, million candle cb2 and dont find it any lacking in power.it shows enough for me to see further than i can shoot so does me just right. if you have had your lamp 4yrs then id change the reflector as they do tarnish and brightness is lost. heard a lot of reports of the lightforce lamps needing to be soldered frequently..kind of put me off them then.

I do agree with a few other posts though..always carry a spare! :yes:

The lamp will be no brighter using 10A as opposed to 7A but will just last longer :yes:

What he said..if you want brighter then probably a whole new unit, putting higher wattage bulbs in any given unit may well cause problems...and then you may need a yet bigger battery to last the same time as now :lol::yes: