Dented Hornet case

I've just bunged some Hornet loads together after having the loading kit and cases arrive in the post today. For some reason unknown to me even though I had a look at the cases as I loaded them (new brass so no need to be too picky) I've now got a loaded and crimped round with quite a dent in the side just level with the shoulder (if you can call it that on a Hornet case?!).

Now, what I can't decide is whether to fire it. It contains 12.8grns of Lil-Gun and I have safely loaded over 13grns in it before at this length with no signs of pressure. I'm very tempted to just stick it in the gun and fire it as it will blow the dent out but can't decide if it's a good idea? As I've crimped it it's never going to pull with my kinetic hammer! :good:

I would fire it.

Fire forming cases is quite a common practice, and usualy only done with light loads to save powder etc. I've fired hundreds to modify the shoulder and neck with no problems.

Your load will just blow the dent out to match your chamber, but I wouldn't expect accuracy from it! :good:

Thinking about it I've split a few cases forming for my Ackley Hornet so even if the dent does give way it's far enough up the case for there to be a decent seal. It's not going to be like head seperation. I didn't really think of that, and I'm pretty confident the case capacity hasn't been reduced by a significant amount so the pressure should still be ok.

I can't be 100% sure but I was putting the cases through the Lee crimp die. It squeezes the very end of the neck and as far as I know doesn't put any lengthways pressure on the case at all. I think it must have just gone unnoticed when I looked at it. It's not an excess lube type dent, it's much deeper.

Bearing in mind I dont know what sort of kit you are thinking of firing this from, or for what purpose - Chuck it in the bin (ie rip it apart) - if your worrying about it then you will only kick yourself it if does something you dont want and there are many potential negative outcomes dependant on the useage. Lets face it, what's a hornet case worth anyway. If it happends again in the same circs then maybe give it a go but a one off (and first for you), why worry about it.

As I've crimped it it's never going to pull with my kinetic hammer! :good:

If it's the factory crimp die it will still pull ok, I found out last week while playing with my new dies.

It helps if you strike the kinetic hammer on the copper face of a big copper and hide hammer.

I started doing that to keep the noise down, but noticed it pops the bullets out much easier and quicker.

Neil.

I'll stick it in the hammer and give it a tap tomorrow. I assumed by the look of the crimp that it wouldn't come out!

Andy, it arrived first thing this morning. I had meant to let you know but completely forgot. I'm seriously impressed by all the labelling of the various items and kit - far more organised than I ever manage to be! :good:

I've loaded the 30 odd cases that were marked as new. I'll fire them twice and then add them to the other 50 that are marked "fired twice and cleaned". One thing I did wonder though - How come you didn't just load the whole lot?

Three good whacks with the hammer should see the bullet come out.

Glad you liked the labelling and found the extra ammo box for you.

The reason why the whole lot weren't loaded as did about 70 then put the rest in the bag and it fell to the bag of the ammo box!. Only found it when clearing out to get the stuff ready for sending back to you.

Andy

I'll stick it in the hammer and give it a tap tomorrow. I assumed by the look of the crimp that it wouldn't come out!

Andy, it arrived first thing this morning. I had meant to let you know but completely forgot. I'm seriously impressed by all the labelling of the various items and kit - far more organised than I ever manage to be! :good:

I've loaded the 30 odd cases that were marked as new. I'll fire them twice and then add them to the other 50 that are marked "fired twice and cleaned". One thing I did wonder though - How come you didn't just load the whole lot?

make sure your rifle chamber the used brass .ie check each piece. otherwise you will have to full length size each piece of used brass. otherwise your be wasting your time when reloading .and the kinetic hammer will be used more than you think .

I don't think it would be over lubing the cases. It looks more to me like it has been partially crushed (that makes it sound worse than it is).

The cases definately fit the rifle because the rifle is also coming from the same source (I'm buying back my old Hornet). The cases have all been sized already and I don't know if they were done full size or neck... Andy, were they done on die 1 or die 2? :good:

Sorry Shippy. This is one of those posts that started off as a general post and ended up with more details being exchanged between myself and Andy. :oops:

You know now you've mentioned that I've had an even better idea. Someone not so long ago was asking me all about the Hornet.... Maybe I'll just keep quiet and let you fire it?! :yes:

lol. sounds about right.lol.

did it come today?

been popping bunnies, squirrels and geese again this evening.

I don't think it would be over lubing the cases. It looks more to me like it has been partially crushed (that makes it sound worse than it is).

The cases definately fit the rifle because the rifle is also coming from the same source (I'm buying back my old Hornet). The cases have all been sized already and I don't know if they were done full size or neck... Andy, were they done on die 1 or die 2? :good:

Sorry Shippy. This is one of those posts that started off as a general post and ended up with more details being exchanged between myself and Andy. ???

I'm facinated by it, just wish I had more of an idea about what your on about. I'm am going to get on with some research and hopefully one day will be able to join in for real.

Cheers

Shippy - you mean all the reloading terms? You'll pick it up fairly quickly if you read up on it. I'm a right sad act, I spend probably a couple of hours a day reading random shooting stuff so it comes to me fairly easily! When I first started out here I remember Markbivvy having a small fit over my question of whether the .22wmr and .22lr cases could be fired in a standard .22lr chamber! I was completely clueless.

If you're interested in it you will learn, it's as simple as that. It always takes a little time though. :good: