12 bore for pheasents

im going on my first driven shoot and need some good hard hitting carts most of the shoot use rc sipes but there expensive does any one have a good cartrige they recomend.if not i will by 250 sipes but at £58 i dont really want too :rolleyes:

Edited by rimmie

Any good quality game cartridges will cost that sort of money. When driven pheasants cost £20-£30 per bird to shoot, £60 for cartridges is not the most expensive part of the day....

My favorite cartridges are Gamebore Black Gold 32g 5's, they are very hard hitting

Any good quality game cartridges will cost that sort of money. When driven pheasants cost £20-£30 per bird to shoot, £60 for cartridges is not the most expensive part of the day....

My favorite cartridges are Gamebore Black Gold 32g 5's, they are very hard hitting

thanks for the advise

Hi,

I find Blackgold kick quite a bit more than RC's.

If I'm not using RC Sipe's then i use Express World Cup in 6.5's only 28g but a very good cartridge, very quick and also a bit cheaper than the RC's.

Hewey

Really? - It wasn't long ago I posted the exact opposite opinion :yes::hmm:. Goes to show we like different things and come to different conclusions.

Just to add another suggestion Just Cartridges Extreme Game are £186 per thousand which is about as cheap as you are going to find a decent game cartridge. I have been told that if you are lucky you can pick up SAGA Game carts for around £190 per 1000 a price at which our syndicate was due to get some to try but as yet they haven't materialised for that :blush:

30gr of 5 shot over a felt wad will be lethal to 50 yards. I shot a duck today with 5s Bismuth at at least that far, stone dead in the air.

Brands, Eley Grand Prix have been my favorite for a few years now but equally good cartridges are available from Hull, Gamebore etc. Cost of cartridges is a minor part of the overall cost of the day so buy decent quality sweet shooting ones like the above.

If you are putting them through a light side by side then 30gr is the MAX load I would recommend, 28gr would be better, Eley Impax is perfect except that biggest shot size is 6.

A

My "go to" loads for pheasant are 30g of number 5.

I find that the (relatively) small shot load does not smash at walked up range, and the thump of 5 shot gives me enough hitting power for higher birds.

If we are talking stratospheric birds only you might want to go to more than 30g and maybe to number 4. My choice is what I would grab if somebody said "lets go pheasant shooting" and was struck dumb immediately after when pushed for details.

If I had to name a shell I would choose, I would go for Rottweil HV MKII 30g 5's - they hit like flying anvils :oops: