rws .22lr hollowpoints

The Duncan

Hi gang,

I've been using Eley subsonic hollow points in my CZ452 lr and I think they're a pretty good round - accuracy, stopping power etc, a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for :blush:

My local shop ran out of eleys so I bought the rws equivalent, which so far seem to be pretty much on a par (early days though), but they are about 20% cheaper! Despite being German made and presumably imported.

An airgun shop owner friend has just poured scorn on them saying he found rws poor and inaccurate. He has no axe to grind as he doen't sell live guns or ammo.

Does anyone have any experience of them? OR did they just not get on with his rifle?

:hmm:

Without doubt some ammo is more cheaply made with bigger tolerances all round and less quality control. :hmm:

Just the same, some ammo will still favour some barrels and hate others, even in rimfire, but most definately in centrefire.

From my point of view I get Excellent results with Magtech .22lr 40g HP Subs, but many find these terrible

...such is life!

Accuracy is generally good however, the dont expand as well as winchesters ive found.

I suffered a lot of runn offs with them if i didnt head shoot, and i think the problem is the head of the bullet is only perforated with a small cross rather than the good hole winchester use.

Each to their own i guess.

RWS subs and high vel IMHO will equal most rimfire rounds on the market-where precision engineering is concerned the germans take some beating.

I've always found RWS the same, very accurate, but not up to the same stopping power/expansion as the Winchester Subs,

I'm sure at the time RWS cost more than the Winchesters, that's why I never stuck with them,

Things must have changed then ?

How do you rate the Winchesters for accuracy? Are they up to Eley/RWS standard?

The Winchesters have a very BIG HP, actually the bullet looks pretty similar to Magtech. The bullet expands excellently on contact, far better than the Eley, accuracy wise it comes down to lots of things, everyone who uses Winchester thinks they are excellent! :yes::hmm::good:

The Winchesters have a very BIG HP, actually the bullet looks pretty similar to Magtech. The bullet expands excellently on contact, far better than the Eley, accuracy wise it comes down to lots of things, everyone who uses Winchester thinks they are excellent! :yes::hmm::good:

Yep would totally agree :good: :good: 5p sized groups at 100yds off bipod and excellent stopping power, never had anything else through it :good:

Spicer

i find winchesters best for my 452 when i got my 1st lr i got a few different rounds to try i got 100 rws hollow points i found them very accurate but out of the 100 i had 3 go supersonic and 4 duds so i shall stick with my winnies as they hit very hard and not many rabbits seem to get up after being hit

colin