threaded rifle?

wildfowler.250

People spend all this money on rifles, take up homeloading and end up spending most of their lives as slaves to their powder scales and presses...

...and then stick a bodged bit of metal on the end of their gun

where did you get bodged from.

or are you saying the likes of kershaw are bodgers.

well with you jumping in like you did and throwing the word bodged about.

felt sure it was coming from someone with a bit of knowledge in gun smithing trade.

I jumped in on the first post. So I'm not just diving in with a late 'bodge' opinion.

If I had knowlege of gunsmithing and I was in this situation, I'd use the money I'd waste on an adaptor to chop the rifle and cut it to the right thread.

It is bodged though mark, why would you want to do it other than being too tight to buy a different moderator

with all respect due A.

i know a good few people who have had these things made and use them on a daily basis.

never yet seen anything go wrong with one or a rifle that there fitted to.

i know several gunsmiths who will make them and have NEVER raised and issue about them, in fact never seen anything anywhere where one has gone wrong.

now this thread shows a few people who may know better.

i would just like to see the evidence.

or should we be telling these folk they are bodgers.

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/26-barrel-add-ons/8-centerfire-rifle

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/345-12-x-20-thread-adapter

Edited by markbivvy

I think Mark has a point here. This isn't a bodge, rather a smart way of making use of something you already have. There's no need to re-cut the second rifle or buy a second mod and an adaptor makes perfect sense. It's just another way of modifying something to fit, like having various parts for a Wildcat mod.

I wonder if the first person to think of multi choke shotgun barrels was branded a bodger? I'd call it smart thinking myself.

Edited by njc110381

I think Mark has a point here. This isn't a bodge, rather a smart way of making use of something you already have. There's no need to re-cut the second rifle or buy a second mod and an adaptor makes perfect sense. It's just another way of modifying something to fit, like having various parts for a Wildcat mod.

I wonder if the first person to think of multi choke shotgun barrels was branded a bodger? I'd call it smart thinking myself.

Nah, now you're just being silly! Them multi thingys are just for people who can't make up their mind which is the correct cartridge to use. :P;):D

I agree. My Pigeon gun is fixed 1/4 and 3/4 so the first barrel usually does the trick but if not the second smokes them!

we've heard about you with a shotgun :P

I'm sure the definition of a bodge must include making something not meant to fit actually fit a certain application. Ok it seems like its done from time to time but its another thing to screw onto your barrel that can come undone or more importantly get seized, with an over barrel mod once you get it stuck in the mod its going to stay there as you will have a job getting it out. Its all horses for courses seems like it can be done, personally I'll stick to just getting a mod that fits but thats me

Thanks N.

these things have been about longer than i have, i am sure if they was dodgy we would have heard about it.

Another reason they use them is if they have had the rifle cut as short as it can be, then another thread and and cut is out of the question.

Edited by markbivvy

In one Nick...I would call bodge if it was welded on.

The links that Mark has put in his thread showing the adapters made by Volquartsen, are hardly Bodge.

In fact, these will be made to high CNC Spec, considering the job they have to do.

As 14mm is bigger than 1/2 inch that would be an interesting adaptor...

You need to have a re-think mate.

M14x1 mm male thread on barrel.

1/2"x20 female thread in moderator.

So bore the threaded section of the mod to 13-mm which is the tapping size needed for an M14x1 mm thread.

This will also remove all traces of the old 1/2"x20 thread, or rather it will if the thread was properly formed in the first place.

Neil.

PS: Metric fine thread data http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

Edited by Hornet 6

some people have mentioned Steve Kershaw in this thread with regards to using an adapter, I am sure if Steve was to choose between an adapter or having the rifle cut, threaded and reproofed i am sure 100% what his decision would be. :hmm:

Oh ! i almost forgot my qualifications,

English CSE F

Art CSE C

Metal Work CSE F

Sport CSE A

Needlework CSE A+

Edited by Dougy

some people have mentioned Steve Kershaw in this thread with regards to using an adapter, I am sure if Steve was to choose between an adapter or having the rifle cut, threaded and reproofed i am sure 100% what his decision would be. :hmm:

Oh ! i almost forgot my qualifications,

English CSE F

Art CSE C

Metal Work CSE F

Sport CSE A

Needlework CSE A+

you forgot mind reader.

But i am sure your right.

12.7 is the half inch male

14 mm in the female

A M14x1 to 1/2 UNF adaptor is a piece of pi$$ for anyone who is skilled enough to make it properly the problem is adaptors being made by people who THINK they know how to make them but dont know one end of a lathe from another.

When made with threads of a good standard of fit and concentricity its a perfectly good solution to mounting a mod on rifles with two different threads :)

Ian.

Thank you very much for all the replies! ( wasn't really expecting such heated responces :lol:). I will definately look up the price of the adaptors as it was for a rifle going 'cheap'. So if I bought the rifle and had to get it screw cut again it isn't such a bargain :good:

It is bodged though mark, why would you want to do it other than being too tight to buy a different moderator

in all honestly I would be cheaper buying the rifle and getting it screw cut (not proofed) than buying a new moderator :look:

Again many thanks :good: