night vision

shoot57

hi ive been thinking of trying a night vis monocular {the type that fits to the scope} on my air rifle, i want to keep it as cheap as *** so i am looking at gen 1, i hear mostly bad things about them but as i will only be shooting at short range rabbits max 40yds and mostly on the outskirts of town where there is light from street lamps and factory security lights, i ask what is the opinion is on this situation? worth it or not

hi ive been thinking of trying a night vis monocular {the type that fits to the scope} on my air rifle, i want to keep it as cheap as *** so i am looking at gen 1, i hear mostly bad things about them but as i will only be shooting at short range rabbits max 40yds and mostly on the outskirts of town where there is light from street lamps and factory security lights, i ask what is the opinion is on this situation? worth it or not

Best of british luck with 40 yards and a cheap gen 1 NV!

Try 25, maybe 30 yards and you'll be closer to the mark.

Fortunately, as you'll be hidden by darkness, getting in close range shouldn't be too much of an issue :good:

Best of british luck with 40 yards and a cheap gen 1 NV!

Try 25, maybe 30 yards and you'll be closer to the mark.

Fortunately, as you'll be hidden by darkness, getting in close range shouldn't be too much of an issue :good:

your going to have to pay 500 even for gen 1 to be any good or your just going to wast your money then it depends on what add on light your going to use a good lazer ir will set you back over a hundred pounds and be carefull if you buy second hand they dont last forever ,i have a good gen 2 for 650 it wil do everything

your going to have to pay 500 even for gen 1 to be any good or your just going to wast your money then it depends on what add on light your going to use a good lazer ir will set you back over a hundred pounds and be carefull if you buy second hand they dont last forever ,i have a good gen 2 for 650 it wil do everything

For def! I paid nearly 600 for a good gen1+ dedicated unit a few years ago to put on my BSA Ultra Multi, still not much real use beyond 35 yards though. :yp:

Get yourself a Cobra Merlin NV with day scope adaptor. Using the built in IR, you can clearly see for 50 yards. Using extra IR 'light', like the Blaserlite lamp I ahve mounted to my scope, together with an IR filter, quarry can clearly be seen up to 200+yards. I know, as I use one on my .243.

I agree with Steve,s post as above the Gen 1 Cobra Merlin

is an excellent unit, i own one of these and use it on my FX Verminator sub 12fpe .22

its my ratting set up , you can alsu use the NVMT yukon Monocular 2x24 this is

also Gen1 and cheaper than the cobra merlin with a led Infra red illuminator

it would be ideal for your needs, if you need more advice

Ring geofferey on 07958-392392 he is a NV expert.

atb brian

I agree with Steve,s post as above the Gen 1 Cobra Merlin

is an excellent unit, i own one of these and use it on my FX Verminator sub 12fpe .22

its my ratting set up , you can alsu use the NVMT yukon Monocular 2x24 this is

also Gen1 and cheaper than the cobra merlin with a led Infra red illuminator

it would be ideal for your needs, if you need more advice

Ring geofferey on 07958-392392 he is a NV expert.

atb brian

If thats the bloke geoffrey (BALDIE) on the bbs i would'nt give him the time of day, read post 25 and 33 here

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/108509-airgun-bbs/page__st__15 i have been riped off by him never again :mad:

A second hand merlin or the Dm3k which came before will do you fine with a lamp of preferably an ir laser, if you look around you should get a set up for £200-300.

I started out with the Dm3k and shot a silly amount of rabbits with a rimfire, I prefer the add-on system so you don't need dedicated rifles.

If you want to buy a new merlin or try his new digital system speak to Geoff on the number given above and I should be able to borrow a unit to demo to you in Cambridge if you are fairly serious about buying. He sold me my gen1 and gen2 systems and I do a fair bit of lathe work for him.

ben

Edited by bennyblanco

again thanks for the advice, Ben to say i am very serious would be overstating it as i am out lamping charlie three times a week so dousnt leave lots of time for airgunning raddits, but i do have access to severel grass fields around the ely area where i get lots of backlight from the city which is why i thought a cheap s/h gen 1 would be interesting to try and the add on monocular type seems the perfect choice {provided i can actually see a rabbit at normal air gun range} thanks

again thanks for the advice, Ben to say i am very serious would be overstating it as i am out lamping charlie three times a week so dousnt leave lots of time for airgunning raddits, but i do have access to severel grass fields around the ely area where i get lots of backlight from the city which is why i thought a cheap s/h gen 1 would be interesting to try and the add on monocular type seems the perfect choice {provided i can actually see a rabbit at normal air gun range} thanks

I will speak to Geoff and see if I can demo something, I work in milton so it wouldn't be too far to come and show you my own monocular on a rifle-some people don't like using them so it might be worthwhile.

Think about what your budget is.

The NV monucular from Lidl's is good value for the money. Ideal for spotting quarry in the field before switching the lamp on.

The downside to them is the poor built in IR illuminator. This can be overcome by using a lamp with attached IR filter, when using the monucular. It will greatly increase your viewing range.

Steve.