Recommended rifle for deer and boar?

The Duncan

Hi folks,

I could do with some ideas regarding a rifle to stalk deer (mostly roe/fallow) but also something that is up to the job of hunting wild boar.

I prefer as few guns as possible so that I get to know the guns I shoot as well as possible.

So what do you experienced riflemen reckon will fit the bill. Thinking .270 calibre as an absolute minimum.

Cheers

Duncan

:look:

308 or 30.06 are more than suitable :good:

a decent size bullet not going too fast, so less meat damage and more than enough to do the job on anything in the UK :good: My choice was 30.06 and more than happy with the results,

With the 30 cal you can choose from 110 grain to 240 grain i think its the calibre with the widest choice of bullets available :good: of course as long as its shoots them.

My region are happy with my .243 for Boar (and the deer).

My .308 is my first choice for Boar though. (and preferred by those who maintain a certain large Forest as well).

The .308 is not often my first choice deer rifle though, but many do like it!

But put simply, the answer to the question really has to be .308. :good:

My region are happy with my .243 for Boar (and the deer).

My .308 is my first choice for Boar though. (and preferred by those who maintain a certain large Forest as well).

The .308 is not often my first choice deer rifle though, but many do like it!

But put simply, the answer to the question really has to be .308. :good:

Didnt I read somewhere that a minimum of .270 is required for Boar??

Les :yp:

Edited by Lez325

"GUIDE", just like many regions don't like rimfire for fox.

There is NO minimum LEGAL calibre for Boar! :good:

Fair enough- Can't remember where I'd seen that- but as a guide, owing to the size of these animals I would prefer 308 at the very least :huh: Co's if you hit and wound- they can be a tad on the Dangerous side lol :lol::lol:

EDIT* heres where I read it- see the last paragraph :huh:

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/sportinganswers/89623/What_calibre_is_best_for_wild_boar.html

Edited by Lez325

.308 ,jack of all trades calibre and master of them all . I advocate the .308 after many years of using just about every standard stalking calibre . The perfect calibre for the one gun stalker . A very close second is the mighty .270 that I used for many years . The 130 grain .270 will hit harder than the .308 150 grain bullet ,but a lot of over kill with the .270 and boy does it bark at first light in woodland .

Harnser .

Fair enough- Can't remember where I'd seen that- but as a guide, owing to the size of these animals I would prefer 308 at the very least :huh: Co's if you hit and wound- they can be a tad on the Dangerous side lol :lol::lol:

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/sportinganswers/89623/What_calibre_is_best_for_wild_boar.html

like everything they vary a lot, after all fundamentally they are a pig so yes you get big boars and sows but you also get everything inbetween from suckling pigs up. The real monsters you do need a fair bit of gun but the rest you don't if you shoot them properly.

Indeed, and as I said, I would be happier with my .308 than .243 faced with a Boar.

Times they keep on changing, 3 or 4 years back my region positively refused my .308 for Fox, several tries over the years up to then and a big NO. Not a problem now and all included.

And since then, mine all now contain the condition...and all other lawful quarry!, that makes life even easier! :good:

ATB!!