Lost in post ! ! !

deejay

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Particularly at this time of year when the post office is full of non english speaking temp workers.

Neil.

Right. This is exactly the problem. If, on the other hand it was a well spoken gentleman who was born and bread in this country you should have no second thoughts at giving him your house keys and be assured that he would deliver the parcel, as well as leaving you a £5 note so you can donate it to BNP or another suitable charity...

Right. This is exactly the problem. If, on the other hand it was a well spoken gentleman who was born and bread in this country you should have no second thoughts at giving him your house keys and be assured that he would deliver the parcel, as well as leaving you a £5 note so you can donate it to BNP or another suitable charity...

Your point is ?

Neil.

Your point is ?

Neil.

My point is that statements like the one I quoted are unfounded. As if the problem of parcels been lost is the presence of temporary staff, that the gentleman I quoted appears to know they are non English and thieving. Unless he has inside knowledge and hard evidence, I believe that his statement shows ignorance and xenophobia. Unless of course anyone here believes that there is a higher proportion of scum in non English people than it is in the indigenous population of these isles. Then they need help. Is my point clear now?

My point is that statements like the one I quoted are unfounded. As if the problem of parcels been lost is the presence of temporary staff, that the gentleman I quoted appears to know they are non English and thieving. Unless he has inside knowledge and hard evidence, I believe that his statement shows ignorance and xenophobia. Unless of course anyone here believes that there is a higher proportion of scum in non English people than it is in the indigenous population of these isles. Then they need help. Is my point clear now?

Yes it's clear, if misguided in my opinion and experience.

I have not had a regular postman for 6 weeks, my mail goes missing, is put through the wrong door etc.

It has got to the point now that I have to check that every envelope or package through my door is actually for me.

So far I have had to re-deliver mail to the correct address 3 times this week, and have received mail twice from neighbours.

On complaining to the local sorting office I was told, it's the temporary staff mate, most can't even speak English properly, let alone read it.

Missing packages, only 2 for me at the moment, is that good or bad ?

Oh, as for the higher incidence of scum abroad, no I don't think that at all, but these temporary postal workers have a lot less to lose don't they, compared to the full time postal workers who in my experience do a good job most of the time ?

Neil.

It never occured to me if I could trust the postal service or any other party for that matter ,I also didnt give it a second thought as to the temp staff.And believed that people are so afraid of losing what jobs they had that this thing wouldnt really be an issue ,And even that royal mail should inforce reasonable security checks within the system .My other reason being that why should I have to pay for something to be delivered and then pay extra just to be certain that it doesnt go missing .Also as to who it was delivered too then again I thought this was a good trustworthy community ......silly me eh how niave could I of been.I see now that maybe trust doesnt go down to well on here and that everone should be untrustworthy unless otherwise proved not to be .

Regards Darren

Edited by mtbarrel

Nicely put. Well done for speaking up.

Well I've read through this and can't believe some of the replies! Non English workers being responsible for it's theft? The OP is lying? Come on guys! The only one I can agree with is that the OP was stupid to send it by snail mail, but that's no help to him now either so lets be a bit more constuctive hey. Imagine how you'd feel if this happened to you?

I feel so sorry for you mate. Accepting a deposit then posting seems fair to me from the buyers point of view. Sending a gun to someone who hasn't paid at all is just the same as sending all the money to someone who says they have a gun for sale. There has to be trust both ways and this is a good half way between the two.

I really hope the posty can offer some sort of help for this but I'm sorry to say I doubt they will. That's why you pay the extra for the insurance and if you don't pay it I can't see them being of any help to you? Put it down as one of lifes little mistakes and move on. I'm not a gambling man, never have been, so this has never happened to me. Plenty of small items/letters have been lost though, and they're usually the ones that you'd hope would get there! Cheques (both ways), work quotes etc. Send someone a ******* postcard that doesn't matter and it always gets there! :rolleyes:

I was in a gunshop awhile back and overheard a conversation with the rfd and this other bloke where the rfd posted a shotgun out to another dealer and that was lost in post.

I could be wrong here and I am not trying to find fault with the above post but whilst I realise that (Sub 12 ft/lb) Airguns can be sent by post I was always of the impression that Shotguns and Firearms that were sent from one RFD to another had to be sent via a Registered Firearms Carrier (Such as DHL or similar) and that they were not allowed to be sent by normal parcel post!

I'm sure that if I am wrong someone more knowing will correct me!

Sorry to hear this Darren, pain in the hole I know but keep your fingers crossed there may be hope yet.

Has the buyer checked with his local post office to see if they had tried to deliver but no-one was at home, maybe even the nearest sorting office.

Also sometimes when i get large packages my postman would attempt to put it in a suitable place out of view, ie a window sill round the back of the house or in the likes of a coal bunker or shed out the back if its wet. Unlikely to miss something as big as an air rifle though but worth a try at least.

I would contact the police and seek advice at the very least. Keep on at Royal Mail and try and track the route the rifle should have followed between you and the buyer and make contact to each point. It could be laying somewhere for a daft reason, address has been smudged from rain or something who knows.

Did you have a return address on it?

Good luck

Paul

I think they use parcel force too for shotguns/firearms.Ive never been keen to rfd guns to another dealer face to face is much better.My postman has a habbit of never leaving red slips when im out so i never know if my parcel has come or not.Maby the person you sent it to could ask there local collection office.

Edited by silverhawk

Darren last year I posted a leather gun case to a guy and he never received it,after the post office investigated for over a month they found it still on a rack in a sorting office in devon and it still took another week to get to the guy 6 weeks in total, and that was first class post, they said I could claim the postage back but needed the receipt from my post office so fat chance,dont give up yet. Ive also just received a parcel of stuff bought off the bay on the 16th of november and the postmark confirmed the guy had posted it the next day 17th november so plenty time yet,a few harsh words to the post office might fetch results though. :good:

Not being harsh, but if I took a deposit on something which then got lost due to my decision on postage, I would feel honour-bound to return the guys money.

He hasnt done anything that could have jeapordised the transit of the gun, and he has no gun to show for it, so I cant see how it can be fair for him to lose out.

My humble opinion only.

The other problem the OP has is, proving the gun WASNT delivered :hmm:

Darren what date did you post the rifle ,as the buyer put his airarms up for sale only 4 days after saying he would have your.

Cheers OTH

Hi OTH It was on the 22nd of november that I had posted it .I will have to look into all this as I didnt want to start pointing fingers just yet as I do have forms from the po to fill in and then I will have get together as much info as possible before I inform the police .

I want to thank the guys for the recent posts too and that its good to see that some people can see past there noses,

and not be followers of fashion.

Regards Darren

Edited by mtbarrel

Darren if it helps ease your mind a little I've worked in guns shops over the years and I've seen guns been lost by TnT,guns delivered to the wrong address and guns damaged, I've seen guns delivered by the door to door postie (unreal but true) I've sent guns on a regular basis by Royal mail by 24hr Recorded Delivery Tracked signed for service and they've taken two weeks, I've seen it when I've had to go to the RM and pick the packages myself, So what I'm trying to say is things get lost by many different delivery sources, your main problem is 'are you within the law in your area to send the gun by post yourself ? did you inform the Royal mail what you were sending ? Another point is it's not up to the recipient to prove he received the gun - I'm sorry to say in your case it's up to you to prove the gun was delivered ! the other point is not a nice one But it happens ~ (no disrespect to this recipient) Could the receiver have received the gun But is trying to pull a fast one and is keeping the gun and wanting his money back ! I'd personally contact a lawyer if I were you before you contact the police, If you're in the BASC/CA/SACS etc contact them for advice -- If you're not in one of these associations then join one -- it might not help you now but they will in future !

All the best

f3

Darren if it helps ease your mind a little I've worked in guns shops over the years and I've seen guns been lost by TnT,guns delivered to the wrong address and guns damaged, I've seen guns delivered by the door to door postie (unreal but true) I've sent guns on a regular basis by Royal mail by 24hr Recorded Delivery Tracked signed for service and they've taken two weeks, I've seen it when I've had to go to the RM and pick the packages myself, So what I'm trying to say is things get lost by many different delivery sources, your main problem is 'are you within the law in your area to send the gun by post yourself ? did you inform the Royal mail what you were sending ? Another point is it's not up to the recipient to prove he received the gun - I'm sorry to say in your case it's up to you to prove the gun was delivered ! the other point is not a nice one But it happens ~ (no disrespect to this recipient) Could the receiver have received the gun But is trying to pull a fast one and is keeping the gun and wanting his money back ! I'd personally contact a lawyer if I were you before you contact the police, If you're in the BASC/CA/SACS etc contact them for advice -- If you're not in one of these associations then join one -- it might not help you now but they will in future !

All the best

f3

My thoughts exactly

All the best

f3

My thoughts exactly

Snap :yes:

I too agree with this and that I shouldnt go wrighting it off just yet I have contacted the guy inquestion and he has told me that if the gun turns up that he will let me know .I understand that I would have to prove it to be delivered and to be honest I woudlnt really go so far as to need a lawyer,I have a mate who works in the royal mail and he is doing a little favour for me and the next step will be police if it has gone missing .

Regards Darren

Edited by mtbarrel