Mxymatosis

beatingisbest

I have noticed with bunnies in the early stages usually have bald boils aroung the eyes, but it is really difficult to tell until you've dropped it.

I have also notices that even in the early stages, their senses dont seem to be as accute, and you can creap up on them easier. Dont be decieved mind, they will still run like the clappers, and will is they catch a whiff of you!

It really is a wicked way for them to die, as they turn into to living zombies, with s1it puring out of every oraface.

I have often crept upto rabbits in the pitifull final stages of myxi..... shot them at point blank, and they still sat muching thin air!!

I agree with the above.

Also look for a swollen, hard, blotched liver when gutting the poor beast. This is a good way of telling a bunny in the early stages, before the pussed up eyes and scabbing starts. The blotches are lighter coloured than the rest of the liver.

My advice would be to remove any rabbits you find in this condition and burn them if this is at all possible.

Pete

I agree with the above.

Also look for a swollen, hard, blotched liver when gutting the poor beast. This is a good way of telling a bunny in the early stages, before the pussed up eyes and scabbing starts. The blotches are lighter coloured than the rest of the liver.

My advice would be to remove any rabbits you find in this condition and burn them if this is at all possible.

Pete

why burn them pete ?? the mixiy is spread by fleas ,and they leave the rabbit as soon as you have knocked it on the head ...............

Ferreter

True, but it is just something I always do. I always carry plastic bags if I am shooting somewhere where there is mixy and I pop anything which is deseased in and tape the top as soon as I I'm sure the animal is infected. The contents get incinerated. Completely pointless I suspect, but it makes me feel as though I am doing something towards conservation at the very least.

Pete

I agree with the above.

Also look for a swollen, hard, blotched liver when gutting the poor beast.  This is a good way of telling a bunny in the early stages, before the pussed up eyes and scabbing starts.  The blotches are lighter coloured than the rest of the liver.

Pete

why burn them pete ?? the mixiy is spread by fleas ,and they leave the rabbit as soon as you have knocked it on the head ...............

I am led to believe that the fleas can stay on the remains a dead rabbit (if they have no where to go) in a burrow for a number of months ie reinfesting the next lot of occupiers of the burrow, hence the cycle of myx

cheers KW

• 1 year later...
How can you spot myxy on rabbits when they are early in the disease?

I can spot it miles away on rabbits later on in the disease!

Just found this site, perhaps you already have an answer.

Look for white spots on the liver whilst cleaning.