Your opinions please

TryTime

Hi All,

I've decided to upgrade my old Baikal into something which will hopefully suit me better and last a long time. I do mainly driven shooting/rough shooting with the occasional duck outing and some claying to keep the eye in so after a bit of an all rounder.

After a few months of searching and looking I have finally decided to spend a bit more than my original budget to get something that ticked all the boxes.

I have narrowed it down to two guns. They are a Miroku MK70 Grade 1 12b O/U 30" multi-choke and a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12b O/U 28" fixed choke (half and quarter). I have tried both of these, shot 6 from 8 with the Miroku and 6/6 with the Beretta. If I'm honest the Beretta was a slightly better fit naturally but the Miroku wasn't far off at all - a minor alteration to the comb would then leave virtually no difference apart from the barrel length.

There is virtually no difference in price and was offered a good price on both. The Miroku is an ex demo so apart from the shots I fired hasn't seen any action. The Beretta is a couple of years old but not done a lot of work.

Aesthetically the Miroku wins hands down I think - it is the game variant so has the game seen and the woodwork is nicer than the Beretta.

When I first started looking, I asked a couple of guys whose judgement I would trust, and was pointed in the direction of Miroku as a sound investment and told they weren't so keen on Beretta's. However, I think I am leaning towards the Beretta on the fit basis although still very torn.

Was just after any opinions/advice some of you may have from your experiences of either model/make in terms of quality, durability, issues, holding value etc.

Should I go with my head (Beretta) or my heart (Miroku)???

Yours trustingly,

TryTime.

Not really a fair comparrison is it, one is a multi choke one is fixed, have you looked at the Mk 60 ?

I would buy the one that fits, although I prefer fixed choke Beretta's I shoot better with the Miroku, but only if the individual Miroku fits, as they seems to vary more than the Berretta's do.

Neil.

I bought a beretta AL390 Gold Mallard it looked gorgeous and the wood was amazing it cycled perfectly with any cartridges but the gun didn't fit me properly I bought something that looked very nice but I couldn't shoot it for **** so I sold it lost 100 quid on selling it but went and bought an old side by side with ejectors for 110 from brown lock stock and hit most clays on the stands I went on at park lodge. So lesson learned for me. All the best.

Again the one that fits best is ideal. If they as you say both fit pretty well then I would go with the multi choke. 1/4 and 1/2 is a great fixed setup but for Skeet if you ever shoot it, more open is handy.

Just as an after thought, I assume as they're new both guns have 3" chambers and steel proof? Could be important for the Ducks?

I have a Silver pigeon 28" fixed choke and use it for driven & walked up, ducks, rabbits from a truck (althought I'm getting a plastic auto for that soon as I keep putting tiny dings in the berettas fore end) and I love it and my shooting is better than ever.

I'm 6'2 so thought I needed a 30" gun when I started out, I first wanted an MK70 but the fit of berettas suited my face/eyes much better so I bought a 30" multichoke beretta sporter and shot it for a year or so. It was a bit heavy carried all day, I had left 1/4 & 1/2 chokes in it for 12 months and I shoot a lot more fur/feathers than clays so I chopped it in for my 28" fixed choke silver pigeon and I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Still undecided at present. However, I am going over to look at and try them again tomorrow, with a view to coming home with one.

I've gone with these two due to availability in the area and the ability to try and have the input from the gunsmiths with regards to fitting etc.

Al4x - (love the profile pic btw) they are both being sold as second hand, despite the Miroku being an ex demo - think it is probably to beat the VAT!

njc110381 - good point you make on the chambers and steel proofing. I will double check tomorrow. However, when talking to the guy he mentioned that the fixed Beretta would be ok for steel shot because of the 1/2 choke rule! So assume it would take it, but will check all the same. With regards to skeet, I don't envisage doing too much of it, so I don't think this would be an issue. Thanks for raising the points though.

HDAV - I tried a Browning 525 30" sporter at Risley a week ago during a lesson there and although shot ok with it, it was a bit forced and I wasn't overly comfortable.

Thanks again for your inputs/opinions... I will keep you posted with my decision tomorrow.

You never know I may get both if I can't decide :) - joking, I can't really afford one let alone two. Although when the mrs flips her lid my nice new gun will keep me company in the dog house!

Cheers,

TryTime.

Edited by TryTime

I have to say as some of the others go for fit or be prepared to get it fitted. I like the look of brownings but last week had a play with both a Browning and a Beretta, the Beretta just fit spot on for me so if the money was spare I would of been comeing home with it...no spare money, gun back in rack and back to reality! good luck tomorrow though.

atvb Paul.

Thanks again for inputs guys.

Went to the dealer again yesterday, tried them both and actually found it the other way round - the MK70 ended up being the better fit that I shot a lot smoother with and far more successful with!

So took the plunge and bought it - couldn't be happier!

Roll on next sat when it will get its first day out in the field!

Cheers,

TryTime

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted a miroku but found the 525 a better fit.

Ended up with a winchester because I couldnt find a 525 cheap enough,

its whats fits best in my opinion so everyone is gonna recommend the gun they prefer because it fits them well. Doesnt mean it will fit you well.

Two pennies

Miroku for me every time !

I bought a brand new silver pigeon 12g 28" MC and have to say yes it does the job and in 2 years its not given me any troubles.........BUT.... it doesnt exactly set my world on fire !

I used to have a old Miroku and loved it as plan as it was ! And it was fixed at half and quarter.

I far prefer the look of betinsoli`s and the fit and feel of Miroku ! :good:

Many a time in the last 12 months ive considered binning the beretta off for something else ! Its good quallity but for me not worth the price tag as i just havent fallen for it ! the equivellent 30" miroku or browning or if not then i would bank some cash and have a new Betinsoli.