Which Tyres ?

barrelsniffer

I've just put a set of Avon Ranger on my jeep. They are designed for 70% road and 30% off road. Very good on both counts. Quiet on the road and brilliant in deep mud and snow. £400 for 5! National tyres. Log on to 'TYRESHOPPER'.co.uk They are a subsidiary of National. You order and pay on line and go to National for fitting. Quick - easy. Very chuffed.

Les

Not sure how many Grabber AT2's are available any more as the new Grabber AT is out now, but supposed to be equally as good! :good:

there shouldn't be a problem as the AT isn't designed to replace the AT2 more give a more road based tyre that is ok off road. Won't compete with the AT2 off road If event tyres cover your area they are excellent to deal with

The AT2 is being phased out because it no longer meets noise requirements. They will be available for a while, but in certain sizes including 255 60 18 for the D3 they are becoming very rare, with only odd sets coming up on ebay now and again. A few people I know who have used both have said the AT are just as good off road, but then others think the Pirelli ATR is better off road, and that has an even more road based looking tread! :hmm:

I've got KL71's on my fourtrak, kuhmo make em, 80% off road 20% on, they look quite aggressive but handle well on the road, not that noisy either, only notice the noise when slowing down at traffic lights etc, off road, well I don't think you can beat them, I had some runway AT's before these, they were ok but the KL's knock spots off em, I did read a review on the KL's and this guy reckons he got 80,000 miles out of a set! Will see how they go, I've had em on for two months now and have only just lost the casting knobbles, so should get a fair mileage hopefully, worth taking a look at.

The AT2 is being phased out because it no longer meets noise requirements. They will be available for a while, but in certain sizes including 255 60 18 for the D3 they are becoming very rare, with only odd sets coming up on ebay now and again. A few people I know who have used both have said the AT are just as good off road, but then others think the Pirelli ATR is better off road, and that has an even more road based looking tread! :hmm:

I had no problem getting AT2 in 255/55 x 18 for Disco 2. Apparently distributor had rack full.

Hiya

I would really recommend trying Yokohama Geolander ATS G012 tyres which are an all terrain tyre. I put them on my X Trail in September and have used them on road, mud, snow etc just about anything I can think of and they are excellent, can't recommend them enough

Not sure of exact sizes to fit a disco but I am sure I remember seeing 18" versions available

That are also quiet to run and seem to be hard wearing a nice looking tyre too, not overally aggressive looking but you can tell they are more than simply a road tyre.

I got mine from blackcircles.com and they were very reasonable for 4 plus fitting as a premium choice tyre.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Edited by saxosim

didnt want to sart a new thread but I have been given a short list of tyres that might fit my xtrail 17"

any opinions on the below list as the nearest things to all terrain which are note available in my size

bridgstone dueler hp sport

continental premium contact 2

dunlop grandtrek st20

goodyear efficient grip

michelin latitude tour

pirelli scorpions

cheers

definitely avoid the duellers, You can play about with tyre size a bit to get an all terrain tyre that fits, for instance if you find a slightly narrower tyre with a higher profile you may find more all terrain tyres are made in that size and the overall rolling radius can be very similar