running 4x4 on used oil

mad1

Has anyone run any of these of Veg oil and found problems?

Discovery 300Tdi

Terrano 2.7i

Pajero 2.8

Trooper 3.1

All four should be fine, i think anything with a Lucas fuel pump has issues but Bosch pumps are fine. Also do not use it any common rail diesel as the fuel injectors are so small they clog up easily.

For the best advice go to this forum it has got loads and loads of info.

http://vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for the info. :good:

Must admit already looked at the Vegbob site to check which cars do just wandering who in reality has run on veg without problems since it seems you get almost as many people saying they have problems as ones that don't. Must admit the way things are going I may buy a cheap Diesel pug for under £500 since need something that can handle veg oil and has high MPG either that or win the lottery since absolutely broke at the moment until I sell my Impreza which I cant afford to run.

Gilberts1989: Surely running on used engine oil would smoke lots? Also does it have to be anything specific like mineral of synthetic oil Ect since have several litres of used begin oil that I keep forgetting to take down the tip for recycling.

Used home made bio made with WVO in my 300 disco for a while. Bought a processing unit so it was all done correctly but had nothing but trouble, blocked filters and injectors etc.. For the ammount I use the truck it was lots more trouble than it was worth what with collecting the oil, storing it, filtering it, washing it and all the other bother that went along with it.

Do know people who just pour veggie oil straight in the tank and have no trouble at all but for me I just don't fancy the gamble cause knowing my luck when it does go wrong I'll be miles away with no tools lol.

One of the main things with veggie oil is it acts as a detergent so will wash all the crud out of your fuel lines and diesel tank so you will probably find a spare fuel filter and some spanners should be left in the boot as they clog up. After the first few tank fulls it should be back to normal once its all washed out.

I ran my d22 on cooking oil for 2 years on cold days it would start but did not go very well till it got warm

put a heater on the filter and in line still the same

then it started to play up would not rev over 2000 rpm

put new filter on blow out the fuel pipes still the same

went on the net found a forum and found there is a small filter in the top of the pump

not a easy job to see or get it out

in side the pipe fitting so I took it out it ran like a dream

I put a in line filter in the fuel line just before the pump

it will also run on 100% in the winter now

run all my old dervs on oil through the summer 50/50 and new oil not used ****

dont bother in winter as the viscosity a alot higher and it will get used to starting slower , just as if use easystart all the time a engine will get dependent on it

people might convince themselves that its ok coz there saving a buck but there is a difference in the winter.

Edited by delburt0

Unless you have a free or cheap supply of wvo you can filter I think you might be wasting your time, especially if you're having to buy new oil which isn't much cheaper than diesel. I ran my mazda engined Grand Vitara for 2yrs on wvo I got for free from the works canteen, it was filthy but never gave me any problems & saved a fortune mixing it 50/50 or 75/25 with derv. My supply dried up & I found a cheap supply from a local chip van owner, pre filtered & looked like new oil....37p a litre I thought I was on a winner. As someone mentioned earlier, the chippy wvo had a higher water content which done for my pump. I've heard of the asda diesel ruining pumps on newer vehicles, therefore I find it difficult to understand why anyone with +£5k motor trying to save a few quid on fuel......buy one you can comfortably afford to run, can't see this government doing us any favours anytime soon

i run 50/50 veg oil/diesel in my skoda pick up all year round no worries a little harder to start in winter but 5L of petrol in the tank thins it out enough to not worry you to much it loves it done loads of miles and saved loads on fuel !!!! no issues at all.

also run my mk3 hilux on it! as it has a pre heater in the fuel filter housing its fine for upto 80/20 veg oil/diesel and as its rather thirsty its saved me loads!!! again on the hilux forum im a member of there are hundreds of people that have done 100k+ miles on veg oil with no issues other than replacing fuel filters more often!! from memory the mk 2,3,4 hilux run fine on it!! the mk3 is the best as it has the pre heater in the fuel filter housing!!!!! i will add im getting filtered waste veg oil for 70p a litre at the mo so a huge saving on diesel! and finally i find its good practise foro ever forth full tank to fill up purely with diesel just to clean everything up!!! the person i get the wvo off runs a 300tdi 90 on it fine and has run a 200tdi fine aswell!!!!

Seeing has mad1 is asking and is running an 03 Frontera that have very delicate injector pumps.

I would run it on clean Diesel from a pump (ie) Shell garage.

There are two types of ECU controlled injector pumps fitted to the Fronteras both are expensive.

One is around £500 plus fitting and type two is around £800 to £1000 plus fitting.

I would not mess with the fuel on a Frontera only on the old 2.8td ones 96 97 app.