running 4x4 on used oil

mad1

i think this topic will have been done before but how would i go about runnin my 03 frontera 2.2 dti on the used veg oil . Obviously the price of diesal is going up so any help would be a great help i would already have a supply of the oil as my parents have a coffee shop but would i have to use it in a certain ratio or only at certain times of year would i have to make any modifications to the car as i need it to be road worthy and legal many thanks m1 also would it make it run any different ie slower or louder

Edited by mad1

i used to make bio diesel for my job and the main thing everyone will tell you is using waste oil as fuel without paying the duty is not legal but putting that aside you can mix veg oil with diesel 50/50 in winter and 70/30 rest of year....the problem with using unprepared waste is when your folks use the friar in the shop it will contain tannin fat i.e. animal fat from meat or fish and it is this that cloggs that is why when preparing waste as fuel it is cleaned with caustic first

be a little bit careful as i have heard of people who run using veg oil end up with knackered fuel pumps as the lubricants in normal diesel keep everything running free. I think on the older cars its not as much of a problem but newer ones can go wrong. From what i have heard it does give the fuel system a good clean out.

Let me know how you get on as i have always been too chicken to do it.

be a little bit careful as i have heard of people who run using veg oil end up with knackered fuel pumps as the lubricants in normal diesel keep everything running free. I think on the older cars its not as much of a problem but newer ones can go wrong. From what i have heard it does give the fuel system a good clean out.

Let me know how you get on as i have always been too chicken to do it.

yeah i know i am being careful too. The car only has 50k on it could end up being a costly test any more advise or ideas anyone :look:

I wouldnt run a newer engine on the stuff, no way.

My mate has his own mechanics and has had numerous people through the door with problems because they are running on veg oil.

As already mentioned fuel pumps dont get the lube they need from veg oil.

The other problem is with injectors though. A modern diesel injects the fuel under massive pressure. There is a tiny amount of water in veg oil which acts as a cutting agent on the injector nozzles and eventually ruins them.

For a set of new injectors on my car, a VW engine, you are looking at around a grand.

be a little bit careful as i have heard of people who run using veg oil end up with knackered fuel pumps

And you really don't want that to happen.

Your fronty may have the Y22 engine on that year ?.You will be looking at a very large bill if you do knacker it,£1500 upwards.

Swingit.

I am sure this Vehicle and it engine are too new for this

You can legally run veggie oil as this conformed to

the reducing of CO2 in this case the using the veggie oil as fuel

is no different to the plants it come from decomposing.

To be legal YOU simply have to register with H.M.R.C

and it 2500 litre per year-but they still have never really said

(old college mate works in the fuel duty unit)

If thats 2500 per-person per household or per car.

#I think its 2500 litres could be more or less#

personally I'd run 50/50 can't really go wrong then.

i know some nissans run 100% veg oil in the summer and a lot lot less in the winter. on the aussie 4x4 forum they talk about adding a little 2 stroke to lube the pump seals as aparently thats what goes.. morrisons diesel has 7% bio fuel added to the diesel ( says so on the pump)and my motor runs **** on it....

I run my Hilux Surf on between 20% and 70% vegetable oil to diesel, depending on how much I get at a time.

This has been my practice for almost 10 years and I have never had any problems with filters, pumps, etc.

I would not use used oil as it requires extreme filtering to remove any trace of solids and I believe that most recovered oil is "cooked" to remove other impurities before it is sold on.

The performance of the vehicle is not affected at all, it just smells like a mobile fish and chip van.

I run a 07 l200 on used clean hydraulic oil and diesel at 50 / 50 all year round and dont need an inline heater

Mark

I would not use hydraulic oil as it has not been authorized for road use by HMRC ,The only oil that has been is cooking oil ,And certainly you do not want strange men sticking a probe up your exhaust . :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Ran my Pajero all summer on 90 percent wvo filtered to 1 micron with 10 percent petrol added and started touch of button no problem, till the pump went down.

It had gummed up the vanes on the pump which happen to be inside the injecter pump so £300 pounds and a lot of swearing in the snow minus 12 its up and running.

Ithink if i had gone the 70/30 route i wouldnt have had the problem, but being greedy (the wvo is free)i didnt add any diesle.

As far as running, it ran great with that faint arroma of fish/chips/suasages etc. Will i try it again?? at the price of diesle :hmm: , probably. jOHN

You will find it hard to get used oil cheap ,the big oil handlers have put the price of oil right up and the amount they pay for pick up of old oil up so they then take the oil regard less and the waste oil goes to ther depot and not straight into peoples cars,and then they get the money for the resale of bio diesel :hmm:

I have been using waste oil for years and have studied its use in detail.

Veg oil has natural lubricants, diesel has to have it added. The problem is viscosity, its simply too thick when cold, this destroys all but Bosch fuel pumps: I wouldn't even try oil on any other make.

I get waste oil from a mate, its virtually impossible to just get from a burger van etc. unless you know someone as the used price is so high, they just sell it.

I leave the oil to stand for about a week, the animal fats and food sinks to the bottom, I then syphon off the clean oil. In summer I have used it neat, but I would recommend 70 oil/ 30 diesel. In winter I use diesel with just a few litres of oil. You can buy a pre-heater kit from a German company, about £90, which is a block with 2 glowplugs in, to heat the oil prior to going to the pump. It has a thermostat and a solenoid as a tee into the water cooling system. When the water gets hot, it switches off the glowplugs and uses the water to heat the oil.

My Peugeot 406 Turbo Diesel ran for 2 years on veg oil, and was more economical and ran better on waste oil! I scrapped it due to mot fails but the engine was perfect, the emissions were almost zero.

Making 'real' veg oil fuel isn't too difficult but involves methanol or ethanol, then caustic soda to wash the oil, a lot of work but well worth it for newer high use vehicles.

I run a 07 l200 on used clean hydraulic oil and diesel at 50 / 50 all year round and dont need an inline heater

Mark

Hydraulic oil has a anti foaming agent in it that doesnt normally do injectors any good . the bio hydraulic oil is far worse for pumps and engines , it has no real lubricant to it and wrecks pumps .

• 2 years later...

Has anyone run any of these of Veg oil and found problems?

Discovery 300Tdi

Terrano 2.7i

yep i had a lucky escape using it on my disco, pump started rattling a little so a cleanout and stopped using runs as it should again now

I have £2000 to spend on a cheap 4x4 I can run on part veg oil to keep the price down and was told I should get a Disco 300Tdi and it happily runs on 50/50 but cant be that simple as you have mention can cause problems which is why I'm also considering the Terrano, Pajero 2.8, Trooper 3.1 since I'm sure there must be a catch.

Edited by Ian.S