New legislation

David BASC

New legislation has been introduced by the Government which will make it an offence to fail to properly secure airguns in order to prevent them falling into the hands of children.

From 10th February 2011, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1,000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under 18.

The UK’s largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), believes the proposed measures are common sense.

BASC is producing practical guidelines on how to abide by the law.

Bill Harriman, BASC’s director of firearms, said: “Young people who are legally allowed to use airguns will not be affected by these changes. Airgun safety is a matter of good sense and good practice and all legitimate users of airguns are aware of safety precautions including access and storage.

“It is regrettable that a small number of incidents of abuse and carelessness have prompted Government action. However, we support measures which will reduce the misuse of airguns while not further restricting the safe use of airguns by law-abiding owners.

“The Government’s impact assessment document took the very sensible and pragmatic view of the sort of security required – a lockable cupboard, or a device to lock the airgun to prevent it being removed. They estimated that such security would cost in the region of £10.

"This is a common sense approach and one which is already followed by the majority of airgun users.”

BASC welcomed comments by Home Office Crime Prevention Minister James Brokenshire that the majority of airgun owners act responsibly.

David,

Is it possible for you to provide a link to the legislation or the guide?

My air rifle lives proped up against my shotgun cabinet because it will not fit in. When i moved into my current house about 4 years ago the FEO saw the closed gunslip and questioned me about it. I explained that it was a sub12Ft/lbs air rifle, and it would not fit in the cabinet without removing both moderator and scope and reminded him politely that legally it did not have to be stored in a cabinet. After I made a couple of further remarks about not having kids so not needing to secure it from prying children, he left satisfied.

While there is no way a child could ever get access to my airgun without having broken into the house and got past the guard terrier( :lol::hmm: ) first, I can see that if this legislation is worded as poorly as most other firearms Legislation I might have to invest in further security for my airgun. also to stay within the letter of the law I 'd have to do it within the next two weeks too!

David,

Is it possible for you to provide a link to the legislation or the guide?

My air rifle lives proped up against my shotgun cabinet because it will not fit in. When i moved into my current house about 4 years ago the FEO saw the closed gunslip and questioned me about it. I explained that it was a sub12Ft/lbs air rifle, and it would not fit in the cabinet without removing both moderator and scope and reminded him politely that legally it did not have to be stored in a cabinet. After I made a couple of further remarks about not having kids so not needing to secure it from prying children, he left satisfied.

While there is no way a child could ever get access to my airgun without having broken into the house and got past the guard terrier( :lol::hmm: ) first, I can see that if this legislation is worded as poorly as most other firearms Legislation I might have to invest in further security for my airgun. also to stay within the letter of the law I 'd have to do it within the next two weeks too!

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/AB98850A-190D-4275-A85D9C42CCD1DAE7

All I have used for years is 1.8mtr bike lock the plastic coated steel wire, either though

trigger guards or between scope mounts :)

Edited by Steve'o

Ive found the regulation:

to be inserted after section 24 in FA 1968

24ZAFailing to prevent minors from having air weapons

(1)It is an offence for a person in possession of an air weapon to fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent any person under the age of eighteen from having the weapon with him.

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply where by virtue of section 23 of this Act the person under the age of eighteen is not prohibited from having the weapon with him.

(3)In proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) it is a defence to show that the person charged with the offence—

(a)believed the other person to be aged eighteen or over; and

(b)had reasonable ground for that belief.

(4)For the purposes of this section a person shall be taken to have shown the matters specified in subsection (3) if—

(a)sufficient evidence of those matters is adduced to raise an issue with respect to them; and

(b)the contrary is not proved beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Where do i stand in relation to this law?

Im 15 and currently hold a SGC with 2 guns 'given to me'. My dad also has a SGC and a gun. When the law changed I handed the 'ownership' of my HW100 to my dad so he now 'owns' it. I have full permisson to use the guns and full legal access to the cabinet, so where does he stand: Surely he has secured the gun from me BUT I still have legal access to cabinet from my SGC.

Many Thanks

EDR

Edited by edr

how will they enforce this ,i bought a bsa ulta outfit, paid cash and got a till reciept so no one knows i have it unless i tell them .Maybe air rifles and pistols non FAC should be licenced and as someone has mentioned its easier for a kid to get an air rifle than a bottle of beer

how will they enforce this ,i bought a bsa ulta outfit, paid cash and got a till reciept so no one knows i have it unless i tell them .Maybe air rifles and pistols non FAC should be licenced and as someone has mentioned its easier for a kid to get an air rifle than a bottle of beer

I don't think it's a case of proactive enforcement; more something for them to charge you with after any accident occurs and you haven't adequately prevented access.

Where do i stand in relation to this law?

Im 15 and currently hold a SGC with 2 guns 'given to me'. My dad also has a SGC and a gun. When the law changed I handed the 'ownership' of my HW100 to my dad so he now 'owns' it. I have full permisson to use the guns and full legal access to the cabinet, so where does he stand: Surely he has secured the gun from me BUT I still have legal access to cabinet from my SGC.

Many Thanks

EDR

The law says:

[A person 14-18 years old] may not buy or hire an airgun or ammunition or receive

them as a gift; however you may borrow one from a person over 18 years of age

and use it on private property where you have the occupiers consent, without

supervision.

Basically, you can't own a gun or ammunition, but you can borrow one with the owners consent (to use on their land). Quite how you 'borrow' ammunition I don't know.

I was reading an ad for a non complient cabinet on here the other day, and thought that would be good for air rifles. If it was closer I would have had it.

It may have increased in value now :lol:

I think it's not a bad thing to encourage safe storage/access to air guns. Better than going the licence route :yes:

The law says:

[A person 14-18 years old] may not buy or hire an airgun or ammunition or receive

them as a gift; however you may borrow one from a person over 18 years of age

and use it on private property where you have the occupiers consent, without

supervision.

Basically, you can't own a gun or ammunition, but you can borrow one with the owners consent (to use on their land). Quite how you 'borrow' ammunition I don't know.

Yes i understand that, but still am at a loss of how i can legally access the gun cabinet for my shotguns but the law clearly states my dad should not let me have access to 'his' air rifle, which is kept in the same cabinet.

EDR

Seems fair and reasonable to me :yes:

If it's illegal to allow alcohol to fall into the hands of children, but not air guns, there's a problem with the system!

So have you got a lockable fridge then? Is your cocktail cabinet secured with your glasses in a seperate lockable cupboard? Does your cutlery drawer have a lock & are the police allowed in at any time to check :hmm:

The current legislation is sensible enough even in fact requiring the age of 21 NOT 18 at times which I actually approve of that age as in America to be the minimum age of alcohol consumption. I think it is time for a petition as legislation is already robust enough & should be directed to the cutlery drawer as being a direct source of the avaiability more than 12" razor sharp blades to over 60 million people in this country which is accessible to everybody over about 3 years, even those with any criminal record whome would not be able to recieve an air "weapon" legally. What is even worse is they can be drunk out of their minds on alcohol & still have legal access to knives if over 18 no matter what their record. Yes they may be refused a sale when drunk but I have never been breathalised when trying to purchase. But even when they get home without having Sabatiers in the knife drawer, it is not illegal to sharpen a table knife into a double edged murdering machine.

Stand up for your rights while you still have them! :blink:

It's about perception by the average person. The average person doesn't own a gun, doesn't understand guns and probably doesn't want to. They just know a gun is for killing, and think there should be strict controls on these deadly weapons. The average person doesn't consider that more people are killed in car accidents in a week than are killed by guns in a year... etc etc alcohol etc etc knives etc etc....

It's about perception by the average person. The average person doesn't own a gun, doesn't understand guns and probably doesn't want to. They just know a gun is for killing, and think there should be strict controls on these deadly weapons. The average person doesn't consider that more people are killed in car accidents in a week than are killed by guns in a year... etc etc alcohol etc etc knives etc etc....

very true, the shooting community is stereotyped by the few mad homocidal gunmen!!! :crazy:

Yes i understand that, but still am at a loss of how i can legally access the gun cabinet for my shotguns but the law clearly states my dad should not let me have access to 'his' air rifle, which is kept in the same cabinet.

EDR

Trigger guard lock or a security cord inside the cabinet would do.