countryfile

TJ91

just sat watching countryfile

it seesm pigeons love rape

and adam has a problem with them down on his farm, hes just got his banger going, does he not realise these things are a waste of a pennys??

anybody on here going to go offer your services!?

they seem to just fly up when the banger goes off, circle around and drop straight back in

have never seen one have any effect when the pigeons want to be on the field

a farmer i shoot for invested in some colourful balls that spin around on sticks and some kites in the shape of hawks on long sticks....they dont seem to bother the pigeons either

Edited by TJ91

I dont think the countryfile crew are too keen on killing fluffy wuffy animals adam still thinks chops come from tescos .

Not a real farmer IMHO just been blessed with being able to take on the tenacy of his old mans .

Sure its great to get kids intrested in farms but very few open farms want to teach the real facts of farming life EG things die and also animails are slaughtered for our consumption.

Cheers OTH

Chatsworth open farm tells the true story unless it has been sanitised in the last few years.

Graphic photos of the carnage when Charlie nailed the free range hens on display and a big board over the pens showing butchers cuts of all the animals and explaining they are mobile meat no matter how "cuddly wuddly" they are when you pat them.

Adams a cock, full of talk to suit the townies but the income from the BBC probably means he can stand a few pigeons on the rape.

i know a famre just like that OTH

theres too many young people not knowing where there lunch comes from

Your way off the pace...Adam is a proper Farmer as was his dad. :yes: The Rare breeds farm has been going for many years but is secondary to the operations of the Main Farm.

Its at Guiting Power Near Northleach on the North Glos, Oxon Border...I had 300 Acres to shoot near there a few years back and there are plenty of Pigeons along the Windrush Valley and some brilliant trout fishing too. The area is proliferate by Large Estates, Lord Vesty just up the Road at Stowell Park for example and no shortage of Organised shoots...

A bit further along the road and you are into Will Beasley country..

Chatsworth open farm tells the true story unless it has been sanitised in the last few years.

Graphic photos of the carnage when Charlie nailed the free range hens on display and a big board over the pens showing butchers cuts of all the animals and explaining they are mobile meat no matter how "cuddly wuddly" they are when you pat them.

Adams a cock, full of talk to suit the townies but the income from the BBC probably means he can stand a few pigeons on the rape.

Thats Strange...he speaks very highly of you.... ;)

Your way off the pace...Adam is a proper Farmer as was his dad. :yes:

If that the case why does he never air his proper views on CF its always the BBC fluffy wuffy image of farming .

If he yields to there views why present it or is just simple money talks .

A bit further along the road and you are into Will Beasley country..

Is that good thing :hmm:

Cheers OTH

I would not be surprised if adams farm is a big fake,its just all to perfect, as is its clean cut whiter than white presenter(who incidentally for a farmer has a ton of time to join the countryfile team full time!). Come on when was the last time u met a farmer who was a natural tv presenter,all to convenient if u ask me.

Its not fake but I do think open farms just dont give the full picture without question its a good farm but 99.9% of farms dont operate as his does EG a large work force ETC.

Which for viewers of CF and vistors to his farm think ever farm has rare breeds ETC.

Still I admire is drive and passion for his work .

Cheers OTH

It seems that so many members want to put Adam down and accuse him of being a bit of a "pretent farmer" with a "fake farm" just because he is a presenter of Country File! Tell me something please - How can any of you that want to put him down or accuse him of being a "fake farmer" do so when you openly admit that you have never visited his farm of in the case of some don't even know where it is? If you want to say something that can be seen as putting anyone down at least make sure that you can offer something to justify what you are saying!

Edit: I am not going to comment either way on Adam's "validity as a farmer" because just like so many others I have never been to his farm!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I would not be surprised if adams farm is a big fake,its just all to perfect, as is its clean cut whiter than white presenter(who incidentally for a farmer has a ton of time to join the countryfile team full time!). Come on when was the last time u met a farmer who was a natural tv presenter,all to convenient if u ask me.

Frenchie boy,as you're laborious powers of deduction are failing you, ile take time out to point out a few facts for you. Fact 1. Why bother visiting this guys place? As A.he's never there and B.all these open farms are the same and 2-a-penny. 2.his acting nice for the camera is probably just that,a put on manner for the camera 3.I've been a herdsman for 2-3 years and I recognise nothing of the easy life he projects on tv. 4.all farmers that I know struggle to get enough time to sleep let alone be a farm owner/tv presenter,don't forget every 10 mins of filming is probably a days worth for all involved with the tv crew (very time consuming) now with all that said,I'm sure the guy is a nice enough chap,and I'm sure he's worked somewhat to get to this juncture,but from my own perspective and others,I think its not a complete scam or fake farm,but one which has been tailored for tv. And I wish him the very best. Just my opinion.

He is effectively a farm manager rather than sole employee hence he gets the time for countryfile, being a presenter is in itself a form of diversification. I know farmers who do similar jobs round their own farms so it isn't impossible. I wouldn't say its detached from real life as its made perfectly clear which are animals reared for meat and the bits on TB don't say nothing is slaughtered and shows that side as well as any other programme on the beeb

I couldn't give a monkeys if he is the real thing or not, the farm 'belongs' to him so weather you like it or not he is a farmer, i'm sure he has plenty of people working his farm for him so he can take as much time to do Countryfile as he likes. The work he does with rare breeds i'm sure is invaluable and why can't he be a presenter?? as someone said this is just his farms diversity which all the succesfull ones have had to do one way or another, its almost the same as letting a syndicate manage your woodlands for you.

Anyway back to the real point, Bangers, or some other method of pigeon scaring is a legal requirment (weather they work or not) that have to be used before shooting can be deemed as legal.

"The Running Man" - I may well be a senile old so and so who has problems remembering what day it is occasionally (Most usually after a few glasses of single malt) but I do not feel that my powers of eduction are failing me. A understand what you are saying about the place being portrayed as "whiter than white" and "spotlessly clean" and Adam being such a quiet, understanding, mild mannered "farmer"! We all know that this might not be the case in the majority of farms. As for the facts that you have chosen to point out to me many of them I was already well aware of - You see I might not be living on a farm now but I was brought up in a farming community where my father was a herdsman for well over 20 years (until he broke his back by going down under a wagon he was unloading with a one and a half hundred weight bag of sugar beat on top of him) so please, I do not wish to sound offencive and hope that this does not come over as such but I believe that I know my fair share about "farming practices" without having these facts pointed out to me. Believe me, I know only too well what is involved in the life of a herdsman and I respect the hard work you do and the hours you put in, I have seen it first hand myself so I don't need these things pointing out to me! All I am asking is why people are so quick to put someone down when (In the majority of cases) they really know very little about the person?

Frenchie,no probs and no hard feelings,nothing bruised its ok,I think were all on the same lines on the guy, just coming it at different angles is all! Me on the far right as usual!!!! So to all 3 above posts I concur with you're conclusions. P.s. Sorry if my post was misleading I'm not currently a herds man,I was for nearly 3 years.

Edited by the running man

Its at Guiting Power Near Northleach on the North Glos, Oxon Border...I had 300 Acres to shoot near there a few years back and there are plenty of Pigeons along the Windrush Valley and some brilliant trout fishing too. The area is proliferate by Large Estates, Lord Vesty just up the Road at Stowell Park for example and no shortage of Organised shoots...

Funnily enough I was involved in a strategic review of the farming operations at Guiting Manor Farm, which is owned by a charitable Trust. They actually run a tight ship and are a very good farming operation, and one which many farmers could learn from. When benchmarked, they achieved higher than expected yields with lower than expected variable costs, and managed their labour force to extract value through the year. Given the generally unfavourable Cotswold Brash soil type, I think they are an excellent example of how to farm.

It really shows how far off the mark some commentators on this thread are, just because they don't like the presentation style of someone, they start questioning something which they do not know anything about :no:

Funnily enough I was involved in a strategic review of the farming operations at Guiting Manor Farm, which is owned by a charitable Trust. They actually run a very tight ship and are a very good farming operation. When benchmarked, they achieved higher than expected yields with lower than expected variable costs, and managed their labour force to extract value through the year. Given the generally unfavourable Cotswold Brash soil type, I think they are an excellent example of how to farm.

It really shows how far off the mark some commentators on this thread are, just because they don't like the presentation style of someone, they start questioning something which they do not know anything about :no:

well said that man