New FAC

pigeon street

i am applying for my FAC. i will be shooting rabbits foxes with a view in the future to go for deer(thought i would start with the smaller cal first). But should i go for .22 or .17 or both?????? as you may be able to tell i am a beginer when it comes to rifles. :blink: :blink:

Depending on where you are from you may also want to put down for a cf calibre as some forces don't allow rf for fox, just a thought.

Edited by Luckyshot

I put down a 22lr for the bunnies a 17hmr for long distance rabit and short distance fox (make sure your area allows 17 for fox) and a 222 for fox..you will more than likely need a mentor for the CF cal and try to get a letter from a good shooter who could mentor you..

also get a letter from landowner stating what you can shoot :yes:

I think you need to be careful when putting the HMR for foxes. A lot of forces are against it and may look and think that you are inexperienced as you're asking for a rf round for a large animal.

I know it will stop a fox, no problem, but quite a few people in the firearms side will just read and follow the book. If they think you're asking for something which is not powerful enough (in their documents) they might think you need some conditions putting on your ticket.

Go for a nice calibre, like the 22-250 or 223. I'm sure they'll let you have that. Just make sure you've got some hands on experience and get someone to provide a separate reference and you'll have no problem with a CF being granted.

Edited by Billy.

I think you need to be careful when putting the HMR for foxes. A lot of forces are against it and may look and think that you are inexperienced as you're asking for a rf round for a large animal.

I know it will stop a fox, no problem, but quite a few people in the firearms side will just read and follow the book. If they think you're asking for something which is not powerful enough (in their documents) they might think you need some conditions putting on your ticket.

Go for a nice calibre, like the 22-250 or 223. I'm sure they'll let you have that. Just make sure you've got some hands on experience and get someone to provide a separate reference and you'll have no problem with a CF being granted.

:good::good::good:

And I DON'T suggest getting a .222 unless you intend to reload, dig round the web and you will see why! :good:

ATB!

Don't bother with an FAC air. Spend the money you would have wasted on an airgun on a nice scope.

I'm not sure where this fac air 1for1 to larger calibre comes from. Im pretty sure your licensing department will raise an eyebrow when you ask to go from an airgun to a .270

Edited by Billy.

I'm not sure where this fac air 1for1 to larger calibre comes from. Im pretty sure your licensing department will raise an eyebrow when you ask to go from an airgun to a .270

if you have an empty slot it means that you can apply for a variation and it wont cost you anything, they wont simply swap it.

Thats Bull **** Ive never had any problems getting ammo......................

Come on, lets not go down this well trodden path again.

I'm not having a go at the .222, it is a very fine calibre, but to get the best from it many find they need to reload, on top of which you will have a problem getting factory ammo for it in the future, it is heading the way of Hornet and WMR, still available for sure but not sitting on every RFD's shelf!

The .223 has taken over, fact, and several gun manufacturers have already dropped the .222, including Remington (unless I have missed one somewhere) who "Invented" the .222. :yes::yes:

.222 is not a sensible suggestion for a newcomer to centrefires, unless you are a .222 owner trying to sell one of course! :lol::lol::lol:

ATB! :good:

There are some good eggspurts on here it seems

As far as i have seen there doesnt seem to be any shortage of ammo available, now if the manufactures are ceasing production of .222 ammuntion then you must have a very close relationship with quite a few large company's that are still producing said ammo.

were do people get this info from about the .222 ending up joining the Wooly Mammoth. By all means give your opinion but to say you aint going to be able to get ammo for it is utter codswollop.

Oh! no i aint got a 222, a good friend of mine has though and no he does not intend on selling and doesnt reload and drops Fox's at 200 yards plus with factory loads he buys from a bog standard RFD.

thanks

Edited by Dougy

Oh! no i aint got a 222, a good friend of mine has though and no he does not intend on selling and doesnt reload and drops Fox's at 200 yards plus with factory loads he buys from a bog standard RFD.

thanks

I bet he pays through the teeth for the rounds. If the 222 is anything like the 22-250 it's around £25 for 20. Not the price I'd be willing to pay.

It might drop a fox at 200 but with a £1.25 pricetag, it's a bit much.

Minimum calibre if you want to shoot all species of Deer is .243. If you just have Muntjac or Chinese Water Deer then a .22 centrefire making 1000ft-lbs of muzzle energy with a 50gr+ bullet is acceptable. Generally that means no less than .222.

With you asking these simple questions I would take a step back from the Deer for now. Ask for a lesser .22cf for Foxes as the .22-250 will make it look like you're pushing your luck. A .223 will do all you ask of it and is also Munjac/CWD legal.

Regarding the point above about the police getting funny about asking for a one for one from FAC air to .270, that's not accurate. I did a one for one from a moderator slot to a large bore rifle before. It's all about numbers of slots on the ticket. What the slot is means nothing.

were do people get this info from about the .222 ending up joining the Wooly Mammoth. By all means give your opinion but to say you aint going to be able to get ammo for it is utter codswollop.

Nobody said you wont be able to get ammo. Rather that the .223 is easier to feed cheaply without home loading. As Dekers has already said (and I will take his word for it), Remington have dropped .222 from their range. Then think that Lapua have stopped making the brass. Now... That doesn't mean it's a dead round by any means but it does mean it's slowly losing ground to other calibres, and to quote Dekers again that is the .223 - fact!

I'm not having a go as I shoot a Hornet and really respect it as a round, but last time I bought factory ammo for it I paid £1 per round - FOR HORNET?!?! :o

No centrefire round will ever die. Cases can be formed from other calibres and as long as the bullet isn't a weird size they will be available too. Doesn't make one of those oddballs a good choice for someone after a simple and cheap to feed Fox basher now does it?!

With you asking these simple questions I would take a step back from the Deer for now. Ask for a lesser .22cf for Foxes as the .22-250 will make it look like you're pushing your luck. A .223 will do all you ask of it and is also Munjac/CWD legal.

You say that, but my FEO granted me a 22-250 knowing I had a little bit of C/F experience. I put in for a 222 and he said I should take a 22-250 as it's a better round :rolleyes: They're nice sometimes :lol:

You say that, but my FEO granted me a 22-250 knowing I had a little bit of C/F experience. I put in for a 222 and he said I should take a 22-250 as it's a better round :rolleyes: They're nice sometimes :lol:

nice or possibly clueless, to most FEO's its all numbers and what they have been told by people as they do their job rather than having the first idea through using one. 22.250 is a cracking fox gun if you do a lot of fox control at night it is very good. Dekers is right with the .222 argument you only get one if you want a slightly less popular gun as there is no real benefit over the .223 in use and when you buy ammo it isn't as available and that is getting worse rather than better. Personally I went .223 and then got a variation for .243 for deer and will sell the .223 and just run the one

nice or possibly clueless, to most FEO's its all numbers and what they have been told by people as they do their job rather than having the first idea through using one. 22.250 is a cracking fox gun if you do a lot of fox control at night it is very good. Dekers is right with the .222 argument you only get one if you want a slightly less popular gun as there is no real benefit over the .223 in use and when you buy ammo it isn't as available and that is getting worse rather than better. Personally I went .223 and then got a variation for .243 for deer and will sell the .223 and just run the one

Wasn't/Isn't Greg T your FEO?