stopping smoking

cocker3

Ill be off them 3 years in June. They truly do slowly kill you and you know it but you dont

think about getting sick with them (cancer etc).

The way I looked at it is I wanted to stop so thought of it as not depriving myself since I

didnt want to smoke.

If you truly want to smoke (not cravings) then your depriving yourself, firstly convince yourself

that you really dont want to smoke then apply the willpower.

You are all doing well chaps, keep it up and keep us all updated.

Some facts that may help you on your way

After... 72 hours Breathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase

1 month Skin appearance improves owing to improved skin perfusion

3–9 months Cough, wheezing, and breathing problems improve and lung function increases by up to 10%

1 year Risk of a heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker

10 years Risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a smoker

15 years Risk of heart attack falls to the same level as someone who has never smoked

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep trying mate. I stopped on 16th September last year, cut right down from 20-40 cigs per day to nil. As other posters have said it's not easy but the benefits to your health are well worth it. Try not to be selfish, think about the effects of your illness/death will have on the people around you. That's what worked for me this time. I have very strong cravings occasionally but feel relieved afterwards that i didn't give in. I feel much better as my lung capacity is improving, i have some permenant damage, COPD, but it's never too late to stop. Good luck

Most of what everyone on here has said so far on this thread is quite right! I quit from 50 a day to NIL per day just over 16 months ago and it was the best thing I could have done, put quite simply it was slowly killing me! No it wasn't easy and yes I do still get the occasional craving that I really have to fight but I am a very weak willed person so if I can do it then just about anyone can!

The first and most important thing is that you must be able to say to yourself in all honesty "I want to quit smoking"! It is no good just saying that you think you ought to quit or that you will try to quit because someone says you ought to - YOU MUST WANT TO QUIT! This is what I believe so many people mean when they say that it is a "mind game" - You need to have a positive and determined frame of mind, if you haven't got that you will quite likely struggle!

If you are strong willed enough you might well be able to quit on your own or with the help of the Alan Carr video. I personally didn't feel strong enough for that so I went to the doctor and asked for help. I have to say that I did this rather "tail betweeen my legs" as I had tried and failed to quit several times before with the help of the doctor, but thankfully he wasn't prepared to give up on me! I was put on a course of Champix and told to join a "Quit Smoking Group" that was run by the NHS, this group gave me all the support and encouragement that I needed to bolster my determination! Within 10 days I was tobacco free!

Since quitting I have seen so many benefits in both my health and my finances! The money I would be spending on tobacco I put by each week and it pays for my little "luxuries" like my CZ452 and my new .243 - Yes, I can honestly say that without the money that I would have been spending being put by for these things I would still be having to scrimp and scrape and make do with cheap second hand things! On top of that it has paid for the raod tax, the parts for the MOT and a few other bits and bobs for my 4X4 - Now that really is some sort of a saving, something that you will not yet realise till you quit and find out exactly your "habit" has been costing you! On top of that I feel so much better in myself, both mentally and physically, the benefits of quitting really are far too many to list.

If there is anything that I can do to help please just ask and I will do whatever I can, even if it means phoning you in the middle of the night and sitting on the phone for an hour or more while you fight a craving. Don't expect it to be an easy road, it will not and you might find times when you really struggle, this is where you might be grateful of a bit (Or a lot) of support and encouragement! If you fail at your first attempt don't go beating yourself up over it, settle down and try again telling yourself that you, your family and your friends are worth the effort that it takes. Believe me, you can do it and you have plenty of friends on here that are willing to help and support you.

Be strong and don't forget to ask for helpm if ypou find yourself struggling!

I really hope that this helps and I wish you well.

FrenchieBoy

thanks for the support pete you are a true gent and i may take you up on that after the day i have had :lol::lol:

Cocker 3 it's mind over matter, keep calm and just say, I'm not having one, that's it!

after the day i have just had thats hard buddy (just found out a close family member has just died)and to top it of some ***** at work thinks its funny to light fags next to me and blow smoke at me but after i told him i would stick his fags where the sun dont shine hope thats that sorted.btw still smoke free tonight :D:D:D:D Edited by cocker3

thanks for the support pete you are a true gent and i may take you up on that after the day i have had :lol::lol:

after the day i have just had thats hard buddy (just found out a close family member has just died)and to top it of some ***** at work thinks its funny to light fags next to me and blow smoke at me but after i told him i would stick his fags where the sun dont shine hope thats that sorted.btw still smoke free tonight :D:D:D:D

Sorry to hear about your loss but if you have a smoke will that make your day better or worse??

Keep hanging in there

So thats almost 48hrs right ? Huge Well done - especially having smoke blown in your face ! It starts to get just a little bit easier now. In no time at all it will actually help to be near people that smoke - the smell is terrible and you will feel sorry for them rather than the other way around

I stopped just over 6 months ago now. I bought an electronic cigarette from Amazon along with 30 'filters' which equate to 10 cigarettes each. I used that for about 3 weeks - it gives you a reduced nicotine hit but without the smoke, heat, chemicals and smell of a real smoke. I found it helped enormously as the cravings and especially the 'what to do with the hands' part of smoking are hard to pack in. After the 3 weeks I just stopped using it. Found I ate slightly more, but I'm in a quite physical job anyway so I haven't ballooned. Main difference is no coughing or chest pains at all, I feel a lot fitter, sense of smell and taste is greatly improved and best of all? No honking aroma of stale smoke. When I get a whiff on smokers now it makes me gag. It absolutely hums. Stick with it mate as it's worth it.

where did you guys buy the book by allen carr wouldnt mind a read of this book.

I got it from WH Smith.Would recommend it to anyone.You don't even have to TRY,once your mind set is right it is a doddle,honestly.You don't need will power,there are no withdrawel symptoms,no bad moods,short temper etc. The day I stopped,I shared a bait cabin(static caravan) with four other smokers,and wondered why they were shoving all those toxic fumes onto their lungs,and that night I went to my local and had a few bevvies with a load of smokers,and sat there,marvelling at the fact that I was drinking and not smoking.Going out for a few drinks is very often the downfall of stopping by willpower.If you don't want to buy it,lend it from your local library. :good:

How are things going today with you guys that are quitting? Are you all managing to stick to your resolve and determination to quit and are any of you experiencing any problems that any of us can help you out with?

To all of you who are trying to quit, good luck Guys, stick with it, we are behind you all the way! :yes::good::good::yes:

p.s. I don't know what the weather is like with you guys but is looks great outside my front window so if it's the same with you and you have the time to spare why not try to get an hour or two out with the gun, it will help take your mind of things and you will appreciate the fresh air and exercise even more!

well frenchieboy to be honest not to great bad nights sleep up every 45 min or so and today boy am i crabbit(so the boys in work tell me :blush::blush: )but as of yet no hanckering for a ciggie yet! its only after i eat that i realy want one and i seem to be doing alot of eating :lol::lol:

as for the weather well its p****** down here so its back to work :lol::lol:

atrb andy

Edited by cocker3

well frenchieboy to be honest not to great bad nights sleep up every 45 min or so and today boy am i crabbit(so the boys in work tell me :blush::blush: )but as of yet no hanckering for a ciggie yet! its only after i eat that i realy want one and i seem to be doing alot of eating :lol::lol:

as for the weather well its p****** down here so its back to work :lol::lol:

atrb andy

do you really want a fag or do you really want to stop smoking ? you cant want or do both.

The feeling you get after you have eaten is not a craving it is your body and mind telling you that you are now a non smoker so enjoy it

well i decided to stop smoking last night as i am 40 years old and after 25 years and 20 a day of smoking man is it hard i have not had a fag in 20 hours and at times it realy doesnt bother me but at times i could kill for one .i keep telling myself just go one more hour the when thats up just go one more hour and so on.i have wanted to stop for a while now but one thing or another got in the way :blush: ok am weak :lol::lol: so now it is time and am i going to be a real richard hunt to live with for the next week or two :mad::mad: (i might be out in the kennels b4 i know it )i get a bit crabit when i havent had a fag .but it will be worth it

i have set my self targets (ie i will do this first then move on to sumthing else to take my mind of it )and it helps to take your mind of it but the wife is going of her head i want to fix everything then break it so i can fix it again just to take my mind of smoking :lol::lol: but after my dinner god was it hard to resist the urge to have a quick fag but i did resist . so how did all you stop smoking and what did you find helped and what made it harder .

i gave up playing and coaching youth football (under 18s)last year and have put a bit of weight on since stopping 1 1/2 stone to be precise :blush::blush: so i have not been training and now i realy see how unfit i am and it is a bit of a shock as 120 min of football was not a problem 1 year ago and i want that level of fitness back .

so any help in stopping would be realy helpfull or tips

cannot give you any advice or tips but after reading your post and some of the replies the packet of JPS Black that I am currently smoking i am going to try and make my last following your methodology.

My targets will be centred around making up for the Miroku 38 I had to sell due to redundancy and a daily cost of £9 ( pkt + 1/2 ) a day , the £15 I used to spend at Bisley once in a while at the shooting ground , can be more regular and finances are maintained at the status quo- once I buy a "budget" gun that is

So, thank YOU, for the impetus to stop smoking

Regards

james

cannot give you any advice or tips but after reading your post and some of the replies the packet of JPS Black that I am currently smoking i am going to try and make my last following your methodology.

My targets will be centred around making up for the Miroku 38 I had to sell due to redundancy and a daily cost of £9 ( pkt + 1/2 ) a day , the £15 I used to spend at Bisley once in a while at the shooting ground , can be more regular and finances are maintained at the status quo- once I buy a "budget" gun that is

So, thank YOU, for the impetus to stop smoking

Regards

james

[/quote/] all i can tell you at this moment is it is very true that you have to want to stop so if thats the case stop and best of luck buddy

There's some great advice and encouragement coming up on this thread for you guys. Just take every day one day at a time and use each day of without a smoke to build up your resolve and determination. Remember that there are plenty of friends out here that are willing to help and support you, all you need to do is ask!

Doseydog - Please let me ask you one thing - Do you really want to quit smoking? If you can answer YES to that question write down your reasons for wanting to quit on a piece of paper and keep it in your wallet. Every time you get a craving pull the paper out from your wallet and read it carefully to remind yourself of why you want to quit - Believe me, it will help!

Good luck to all you guys that are quitting, it's well worth it in the end in so many different ways. :good::yes::good:

im on day 5 no fags since sunday night would like to say i feel great but have got a throat infection but on the plus side im still not smoking even after three busy nights at work and being messed aroind at work could of easly had one last night night but had a cuppa instead my manager loves its 20 cups of tea a night made for him think o mite have a new addiction uhm time for a tea i think haha