Pet Fox

Billy.

I was drawn to ask this, as I saw another topic on here where someone seemed almost disgusted that someone had a pet fox.

Personally, I feel that a rabbit makes a great pet. However a pet rabbit clearly isn't a pest/vermin.

I'm intrigued, as I will happily go out and shoot rabbits all night long, but if I had a kid and they wanted a pet rabbit, I'd look after it.

Likewise, I'd happily look after a pet fox, as it's merely a pet. Even though I'd still go out and shoot them.

If dogs ran wild in this country, what would they eat? It'd have to be ground game or the like: so they'd quite rightly be shot for doing so...

Am I not the only one who'd shoot/hunt a fox, but still care for a domesticated one? There must be a forum member with kids who have a pet rabbit?!

Tin hat firmly in place

Maybe I shouldn't have bought you that gimlet earlier..! I'll sit back and enjoy this one :yes:

Personally I don't have any beef with charlie until he starts to worry livestock or the kids in the back garden.

I did think to myself "You've had a few. Should you try to start a topic?"

..I can assure you - I counted to ten before writing this.

:ernyha:

There are two things that would put me off keeping a fox as a pet, the first is the smell - I don't know if there is anything that a vet could do to remove the scent glands, if not your house would stink to high heavens and the second is the fact that they are by nature predators! :hmm::no::hmm: All right, I agree that the dog is a descendent of the wolf but they have been through many thousands of years of domestication to get to the stage they are at now. I would hate to think how many generations it would take before the fox could be domesticated to eliminate or even minimise it's natural predatory instincts, and that (In my opinion) is what makes it a danger to humans, especially very young children!

Oh, and I've just thought of another reason why I could not have a fox as a pet, it's called Tia! We hope to train Tia to take on the odd fox that might run on a little after being shoot! She may well look "sweet, fluffy and cute" here but I hope that she will be a different dog in 6 months time! :good:

post-17172-0-62098900-1298103889.jpg

i do know of a hunsman that had a pet fox but it went mission one day lol i did have a pet otter last year it was called honey, i fished it from a flooded river thinking it was a mink then saw what it was, she was realy easey and fun to rear and was about 2ft long when i gave her to a animal re hab place. it was hard bringing a lass home when their is a otter under the sofe i can tell you!and with a otter every thing need checking out, funny thing is she was realy scared of water in the bath as long as it was only an inch deep she was ok any deeper and it went nuts screeming and spitting!! got big teeth them you know,i learnt alot about then as a result of having one thou, oh also it wouldent leave my side out on walks and was lactos intolerant all otters are

Edited by highseas

I wouldn`t want a pet fox,and although i shoot any fox on sight around the shoot..I used to take an extra sandwich into work on nights to feed a young fox that regularly came around at 4-30am to visit us.

I think the fox is beautiful animal(if smelly :oops: )and if they are causing me no problems i like to see them ..... a long way from our Pheasant shoot i may add :yes:

I think the fox is beautiful animal(if smelly :oops: )and if they are causing me no problems i like to see them ..... a long way from our Pheasant shoot i may add :yes:

I agree - i think they are stunning animals,and I like to see them around :good: - I have parked up while out and about in the past and watched cubs romping around (the Mrs couldnt believe that if they were on My patch I would shoot them, thought I was evil :lol: )

As a pet - not for Me thank you.

just recently i found a baby rabbit out of its nest. i couldnt leave it there as many people walk there dogs there. in fact if i'd have had my dogs with me, that'd have been the end of it. But i took it in and cared for it, and i go out ferreting. I would have released it when it was older, and maybe got it back for dinner next year, but thats ho it goes.

If i found a fox cub that needed caring for for whatever reason, i probably would, and then release it, miles away though lol. I would care for a baby, because i think its only fair and 'sporting' to give them a chance at life, before taking it from them lol.

Years ago out the back of my mothers house a old guy had a pet Fox for years, used to go up regularly & feed it. It was a bit of an attraction in the village, even had the local hunt down once, hounds an all :o you cam imagine the scenario :lol:

My mates father used to have two badgers as pets, even used to take them to the local bar on a twin lead.

As for the Fox, you have to admire it, born survivor, beautiful animal in the right place.