After new permission

Stealth Stalker

I was walking the dog near a sports ground close to where I live today & noticed a lot of fresh rabbit activity.

Freshly dug holes, pellets & scrapings.

So I thought sod it I'll go and see the groundsman, there was a guy nearby on a mower so I asked him if the rabbits were causing a problem. He said "not arf" and took me to the grounds manager.

I explained to him that I was local & had noticed a lot of rabbits about, I am a member of BASC and fully insured, & could help to humanely control the bunnies on the land. With air rifles & rimfire.

He was aware of the problem & seemed keen to what I was offering. He mentioned that 2 of the groundsmen had recently been on a course to control the rabbits with chemicals.

I pointed out that this was an awful way of dealing with things. And he seemed to agree.

Not knowing much about chemical war fare on rabbits, what good reasons can I give him to try & dissuade him from this approach. Any other snippets of advice would be much appreciated.

All in all it was quite a positive meeting, he asked me to get back to him with my certificate & BASC membership.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Stealth Stalker

Your biggest argument against chemical warfare is that its indescriminate. You go after rabbits but end up killing every other mammal and bird that comes into contact with it. Then theres the risk of old Mrs Joneses cat picking up a dead critter and dying from it.

Another argument could be that its a slow painful death to anything taking the poison

Dave

If they are using poison i would be more concerned about a bird of prey eating the carcass and being poisoned it's self ;)

I know in the States they ask people to remove dead carcasses after shooting them as the Eagles and Condors are being poisoned with the Lead as they ingest the dead animals :lol:

Lord geordie

You could also mention that it dosn't look good if half dead rabbits are found

wandering around the grounds as sometimes happens before the chemicals or whatever poisons take hold, and of course the fact that his two men could be put to better use on other jobs if "pest control"was left to you.

Good luck mate. :lol::lol:

cheers Sutty :D

I was walking the dog near a sports ground close to where I live today & noticed a lot of fresh rabbit activity.

Freshly dug holes, pellets & scrapings.

So I thought sod it I'll go and see the groundsman, there was a guy nearby on a mower so I asked him if the rabbits were causing a problem. He said "not arf" and took me to the grounds manager.

I explained to him that I was local & had noticed a lot of rabbits about, I am a member of BASC and fully insured, & could help to humanely control the bunnies on the land. With air rifles & rimfire.

He was aware of the problem & seemed keen to what I was offering. He mentioned that 2 of the groundsmen had recently been on a course to control the rabbits with chemicals.

I pointed out that this was an awful way of dealing with things. And he seemed to agree.

Not knowing much about chemical war fare on rabbits, what good reasons can I give him to try & dissuade him from this approach. Any other snippets of advice would be much appreciated.

All in all it was quite a positive meeting, he asked me to get back to him with my certificate & BASC membership.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Stealth Stalker

Ignore most of what they say about chemicals.

AFAIK the only legal type to use against rabbits is based upon Aluminium Phosphide.

Its not an anticoagulent so there is little chance of secondary poisoning happening.

It is a chemical which on contact with moisture or damp acidic soil produces as gas similar to the Mustard gas used in the first world war.

Nasty stuff but it neutralises quite quickly.

They should survey the ground, mark all the holes, put down the tablets and seal them in with earth.

Anything down there that breathes gets got.

Your two strongest arguments are first that anything else down there like overwintering Adders or Toads gets got too so its shouldn't be done during the winter or wet weather.

Second is that, since mixy, many rabbits don't use burrows very often and so, if gassing is the only string to their bow, it isn't going to work very well.

Other methods of control will be needed too, which is where you come in ;)

Thanks for the advice chaps

I'm sending the Grounds manager a carefully worded letter with copies of

licences & BASC membership, today.

I also got my Vermin control cards from the guy off ebay, so I'll put some of them in aswell.

They're really good quality cards.

Wish me luck

Cheers SS

Guest jonrms

you could also advise of the cost implications as well.

the fact that your insuranced and willing to do this for free usually catches there attention..

saves some money...

Darren the guys name is John

E-mail: john.bloor@ntlworld.com

0121 288 3970

Cheers SS

I can personally recommend these cards as john is a long time friend of mine and I am on my 3rd batch of 2 types and have acquired over 16,000 acres with these and my GLIB tongue.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::sly:

• 1 month later...

I got a call from the sports ground manager over a month after sending him my details, & not hearing a thing.

So I went round to see him yesterday, and he's given me permission, and unlimited access to the sports ground, and allowing me to use the landrover :angry:

This place is absolutly huge, and overspilling with rabbits. I went on a recce last night and they were everywhere. I'm certainly gonna be kept busy with this!

And it gets better. He is insisting on paying me :angry:

The only thing is I have'nt got a glue what to charge him, should I charge per rabbit? per hour?

Another question is how do I find out if the land is cleared for .22 rimfire? He's unsure if it is.

I will mainly be using the FAC s410 but the rimmy would be handy for the longer range bunnys.

I'm absolutly over the moon getting this and I can't believe I'm actually going to get paid.

Stealth Stalker

And it gets better. He is insisting on paying me :angry:

The only thing is I have'nt got a glue what to charge him, should I charge per rabbit? per hour?

Another question is how do I find out if the land is cleared for .22 rimfire? He's unsure if it is.

Stealth Stalker

You should consider your insurance with regard being paid. If you have BASC or similar insurance you will find that it will entitle you to receive the odd payment to cover your costs only. Be carefull with this as it is a very grey area. As far as charging well, I would think a few beer tokens every now and then would be suffice. Don't forget, if he is gonna pay he could just as easily pay someone else.

Phone your Firearms Department or FEO for the land clearance, simple as. If it isnt then get it cleared.

Sounds like you landed good on this one. :angry: