New Patio

AVB

He will probably make you rip the lot out.

I dont suppose your builder mentioned the progression of retaining aggrigates and soils act 1975. Wrong brick mate should be seven newton engineering brick backed with a micropourous membrane and the lack of an encapsulated clean stone barrier and drain behind the wall renderes it a fail on about four regulations.

Still he will enjoy the cup of tea............. :lol:

:big_boss:

You have and he will

Only kidding I am sure it will all go very well................. sleep well.. :hmm:

Result. Planning Officer came around. According to my wife took one look Through the window - didn't even go outside) and said it wasn't a problem at all. Then spent time over his cup of tea slagging off the neighbours!

you can ram that on the permitted development thread :lol:

Nice planning dept you have in East Herts, I've spoken to them a few times with possible renovation houses I've been looking to buy and always got a sensible answer.

Now the big question how are you going to try and upset the neighbour next, I'd suggest a few 8ft leylandii on the boundary should get them worried :yes:

p.s got a good contact for sandstone paving if you haven't sorted any yet

Edited by al4x

you can ram that on the permitted development thread :lol:

Nice planning dept you have in East Herts, I've spoken to them a few times with possible renovation houses I've been looking to buy and always got a sensible answer.

Now the big question how are you going to try and upset the neighbour next, I'd suggest a few 8ft leylandii on the boundary should get them worried :yes:

p.s got a good contact for sandstone paving if you haven't sorted any yet

Actually I don't believe it's the immediate neighbours who back onto the garden who are the problem. It's almost certainly the woman who we share the bottom of the drive with. Basically when we moved in it was tar bonded and she, despite me asking her not to do it, kept on raking it. Obviously the shingle came off and she then dumped loads of loose shingle on it. She is always out there raking it and moaning that we don't do anything to keep it neat and tidy. Me and my immediate neighbour, who is fine, had the top end of the drive re-laid but the troublesome neighbour didn't want the bottom part touched. It suits her to keep raking it and moaning. The builders to their credit do sweep it every day after any lorries have been over it. She is just trouble. I am plotting my revenge.

• 2 weeks later...

The lawn is down now so it's taking shape. Rest of lights to go in and patio pointed and it's done. I think. Not that I can enjoy it being stuck here in India. Apologies for the naff photos. The wife took them

post-2444-0-73155200-1300626655.jpg

post-2444-0-81112400-1300626775.jpg

wres the lights m8

In the wall (brick lights) and on the posts

As for it being a stately home :lol: It's OK and in a nice area but nothing fancy. There's always somebody with something better. I juts want to make it as nice as possble.

damn missed the day the concrete got poured could have put my mrs under it then moved "down south" as thats where all the shootin offers are lol...............

that looks brill mate wish i had the cost of it in my bank account :good:

Edited by hodge911

Well the builders have now packed up and gone. Still waiting for the brick lights to arrive. Apart from that it's done. It was about 6 weeks from start to finish. Just got to pay for it now :/

Any suggestions on what to paint the concrete fence posts with?

post-2444-0-70229800-1301240880.jpg

post-2444-0-41870000-1301240934.jpg

post-2444-0-13419500-1301240951.jpg

Great looking garden! :good:

As for the posts and gravel boards.You used to be able to get syringes of paint from B&Q which you added to white emulsion to create your own.Try getting a green one (or whatever colour you're doing the fence) and mix it with cheap white masonry paint.

Edited by Imperfection

That really is a nice looking back garden.... :good: Could I make a suggeston though (please take this in the spirit its meant)

Thats a mean drop from the garden onto the patio. With a little one about, all it would take is a trip or a fall and it's a hard landing they'd come to if they went over the edge. Why don't you plant some borders where the gravel is at the base of the wall, so at least there's something to break a childs fall? Or better still extend the hedge you have by the fence to guard against anyone going too close to the edge??

ATB.