Had a brown trouser moment at work today!

njc110381

I had an interesting day at work today. We got a call to go and fix a fence between two gardens so got the kit on the truck and headed off to the site. When we got there someone had put up some orange mesh as a temporary fix, so I started by taking it down. Nobody was home in the house we were working at or next door so I wandered into the neighbours garden and started digging a post hole.

Well my mate walked through the gate, stared through me and backed out again... Weird! I turned around and about four to six feet away from me stood a full grown and rather unhappy looking Mastiff! OH ****! I was in his garden with nothing but a spade and the gate was a good 20 yards away. Not a hope in hell of making it before he caught me! I turned away so as not to appear agressive and carried on digging while I tried to come up with a plan. I'm sure I wasn't there for that long but it felt like a lifetime!

I felt a nudge on my leg and looked down to see said Mastiff looking interestingly down the hole I was digging. A bit close for comfort but I figured as he wasn't too interested in me now I would offer my hand for him to sniff - I wanted to be friends and luckily he had the same thought. We spent the rest of the day getting slobbered on and playing fetch with a good size chunk of 4x4 post!

I guess it goes to show that these dogs aren't always killers. I was in a garden uninvited with a breed that is known to be a one owner dog that takes no messing and is pretty intimidating to look at. With the right approach he turned out to be a lovely animal and we had no bother from him all day (well apart from the fact that he kept wandering off with my sledge hammer!). I really like this breed and it was great to get to know one having only read about them in the past. Luckily for me they really are big softies! :)

I always say that you are more lightly to be bitten by a little terrier than a big dog my logic is simple little dogs if they are going to be of any use need to have some aggression in them for hunting purposes ie killing rats etc and as they are much smaller than we are can be controlled.

If you had a big dog with the same amount of aggression it would be a nightmare would you tackle a Lion no way but a house cat you may get lots of nasty scratches but you would kill it before it killed you but a Lion is going to win every time.

The rural garage I use had a huge mastiff, he used to walk around with a car tyre in his mouth and a little terrier hanging onto it, legs off the ground. I wish I'd taken a camera.

They're big softies really, they prefer to just block your way rather than bite you. As mentioned in a previous post, Rotties and Dobermans are a totally different kettle of fish, very protective.

I don't think I'd have been so bothered about a Rottie or Doberman. At least they weigh less than I do! It was a nice experience for me as I really like them. One day I'd like to have one myself but haven't ever known one well enough to know how the breed works. Getting to spend a bit of time with this one was quite nice once I knew he was ok with me.

I have to admit I always thought they were one of the breeds that people say you should be cautious of. It seems I may have been wrong although I know I wouldn't want to have to deal with one if it was upset!

Next time don't turn your back to a dog that could very well be trained as a guard dog. I had a simular experience when a worker let the farm alisation off whilst I was out shooting at dawn. If it wasn't for the fact the trainer was with him and told me how to act it could have been teeth for me and 32g of #5 for the dog... New underwear for me: check.

I always say that you are more lightly to be bitten by a little terrier than a big dog my logic is simple little dogs if they are going to be of any use need to have some aggression in them for hunting purposes ie killing rats etc and as they are much smaller than we are can be controlled.

If you had a big dog with the same amount of aggression it would be a nightmare would you tackle a Lion no way but a house cat you may get lots of nasty scratches but you would kill it before it killed you but a Lion is going to win every time.

You're lucky he was friendly otherwise he'd have been playing fetch with yer leg.... :lol:

You don't know how right you are four-wheel-drive....I've been around dogs most of my life and I've only been bitten twice. Both times by a miniature Yorkshire Terrier. Not the same dog either. The second one latched on to my hand and wouldn't let go, I almost smacked the little **** against a door frame....

Once delivering to a farm a few years ago, having knocked on the door I turned to find a mastif type dog barking and growling. Most guard dogs stand off a yard-not this lad I could feel his breath on my nether regions. He is between me and my van so only option is going to be to try and make friends. A gentle stroke of the side of his ear and a few minute we are getting on ok. walked to the front door he's fine turn back towards back door and he's barking and growling again. I dismiss his barking with a friendly word and carry on walking when the owner a 30 something women with a mortified look on her face. Turns out I'm at the wrong farm. Asked the breed of dog and to this day can't remember but described as a Spanish fighting dog- she then wen't on to say 'they usually make good guard dogs!' I explained dogs don't bother me but this one got me a little concerned!!

She then tried to sell me one of her pups to which he was the father.

Walking back to the van the ****** starts playfully nipping my leg and jumping up. Must admit not the sort of dog i'd want to fall out with.

Unless they have been trained for security work most dogs are not naturally aggressive. They will bark when behind a fence or wall, but take away that and they are usually more scared than you are. I've gone into all sorts of houses and yards to deal with dogs including rotties, mastifs and bull terriers of all types and never been bitten yet. Just front them up firmly but calmly for a short while then offer them friendship. Usually they can't wait to come for a fuss.