how to make an investment

highseas

My clay club wants to buy £5000 worth of Premium Bonds but it looks like a non-starter as only 'indivduals' can buy them :rolleyes: Is there anyone out there has come up with a way around it? The only thing i could think of would be for the club treasurer to buy them and we draw up a Declaration of Trust type document between us :hmm:

Mark

Be wary, even when you get recomendations from friends. A friend I know very nearly lost £20,000 on a currency investment scheme. Unfortunately his mate who appeared to be bit of a investment expert, didnt get out in time and last thing I heard had lost £120,000. Which was more than half of the funds from selling his house. Company had been trading for 6 years, recomended by various experts, but it all went tits up. Its all going to court at some point, I think everybody that lost money was shocked at how little protection they got despite the company having FSA acreditation (or some such scheme). basically all it ment was the books were looked at.

Was a big shocked when i heard about it all, asked why they had all the eggs in one basket, reply was they looked like a legitimate organisation, and had been trading for six years. Somehow this made them "like a bank". Then again looking at the current mess even the 200 year old banks cock things up.

Even savings aren't necessarily a good way to 'invest' money at the moment, with inflation being equivalent (or more) than a lot of savings accounts you're almost worse off for hanging onto your money. Best to invest but in what... The only two things i have found that don't depreciate are shotguns and old(ish) defenders...

Be wary, even when you get recomendations from friends. A friend I know very nearly lost £20,000 on a currency investment scheme. Unfortunately his mate who appeared to be bit of a investment expert, didnt get out in time and last thing I heard had lost £120,000. Which was more than half of the funds from selling his house. Company had been trading for 6 years, recomended by various experts, but it all went tits up. Its all going to court at some point, I think everybody that lost money was shocked at how little protection they got despite the company having FSA acreditation (or some such scheme). basically all it ment was the books were looked at.

Was a big shocked when i heard about it all, asked why they had all the eggs in one basket, reply was they looked like a legitimate organisation, and had been trading for six years. Somehow this made them "like a bank". Then again looking at the current mess even the 200 year old banks cock things up.

they weren't called GFX were they? I lost some to them as they were a customer when it all went tits up. I just took satisfaction on the serious fraud office being all over the top bods and even more so now I've just looked and realised the top bod went down for 8 years :oops:

Edited by al4x

Personally I would forget the advice of "Financial Advisors". My experience of them is that they are small men in **** suits who are touting the "investment" products of various banks etc and taking a nice healthy chunk of your money as comission.

If you are willing to invest it and risk it there are various companies who look like they will be making big money in the future. Do a bit or research on - Wasabi Energy - Indian Energy - Angel Biotechnology.

If you want big gains you should be looking to the emerging markets, India, China, Brazil etc.

If you want a fairly safe return, open a stocks and shares self select ISA, Buy shares in something like Aviva or National Grid. Use a share builder plan to reduce commisiion costs and sit back and enjoy a 7% to 8% dividend payment which is tax free.

Edited by fortune82

Personally I would forget the advice of "Financial Advisors". My experience of them is that they are small men in **** suits who are touting the "investment" products of various banks etc and taking a nice healthy chunk of your money as comission.

If you are willing to invest it and risk it there are various companies who look like they will be making big money in the future. Do a bit or research on - Wasabi Energy - Indian Energy - Angel Biotechnology.

If you want big gains you should be looking to the emerging markets, India, China, Brazil etc.

If you want a fairly safe return, open a stocks and shares self select ISA, Buy shares in something like Aviva or National Grid. Use a share builder plan to reduce commisiion costs and sit back and enjoy a 7% to 8% dividend payment which is tax free.

I agree on giving high street financial advisor's a miss. However stock and shares ISA isn't a safe investment unless you are investing for the long term which you don't know whether the OP is.

What do I know though. I have also lost a shed loads on Green investments, dot com companies and BRIC countries etc. I've also made a bit too though.

I agree on giving high street financial advisor's a miss. However stock and shares ISA isn't a safe investment unless you are investing for the long term which you don't know whether the OP is.

What do I know though. I have also lost a shed loads on Green investments, dot com companies and BRIC countries etc. I've also made a bit too though.

With a nice big Blue chip like Aviva etc you are pretty safe in the medium to long term.

I can honestly say I have never lost money on a stock. Made some nice money on Western Coal over the past few years. Indian Energy is looking good and Wasabi energy is a long term hold. Still up a nice % on it in the short term as well however.

well their is a lot to digest their, ive always been good at makeing money from not a lot i jusy got the idear to invest some where proper like shares, i had shares in a very small toilet seat company when i turned 18 and that gave a nice little profit. i have made up my mind what do, buy a boat from one freind for the 700 and sell it to my uncle for 1000, doesnt get much better :good: