Foxing

Osgoodbyshooter

Excellent debate by the sound of it guys.

But it sounds like the .223 is what its all about.

Just on a note: Is the .243 over the top for foxing?

Regards :good::good:

It's tools for the job, simple as, a .243 can be an excellent tool for foxes in the right situation, as can a .22lr.

The .243 lists as appropriate for Fox in the Home Office Guide, but remember that is a GUIDE!

Excellent debate by the sound of it guys.

But it sounds like the .223 is what its all about.

Just on a note: Is the .243 over the top for foxing?

Regards :good::good:

I have used a .222 for foxing with a fairly good success rate using Partizan ammunition which is cheap and was quite accurate in my Bruno Fox rifle (Certainly accurate enough for foxing out to about 150 yards but I did occasionally have a bit of difficulties locating Partizan in .222) I have not used the .223 so I can not make any comparison.

Some "might" say that the .243 is a little over the top for foxing but which ever calibre you opt for as far as Charlie is concerned "Dead is Dead" so I am not sure if "overkill" part of the debate comes into it, therefore surely any "legal" calibre should be suitable as long as the rifle and shooter are both accurate enough and the shot is taken within the capabilities of the shooter!

There's no way 243 is over the top for foxing... As a calibre, it has it's roots in being designed as a dedicated Varmint round, which has now been adapted for use on Deer.

It probably remains the most versatile calibre in use within the UK.

Because I use a .243 for foxing I would not think of saying that it was over the top for the job! What I was saying was that some might say it is, for those that did I would be inclined to disagree with them, so I totally agree with you Gary!

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way 243 is over the top for foxing... As a calibre, it has it's roots in being designed as a dedicated Varmint round, which has now been adapted for use on Deer.

+1.. :good: 243 is not over the top for fox - it is the round for foxing...

Regards,

Gixer

+1.. :good: 243 is not over the top for fox - it is the round for foxing...

Regards,

Gixer

Forums, views, debate...... the .243 has a place for foxing without doubt, but it isn't the tool to use in the farmyard or barn etc when Charlie turns up, and it is wholly unnecessary at anything under about 200 yards, there are plenty of other tools perfectly capable out to that distance.

Over the top.... :hmm: horses for courses and dead is dead.

I can see the debate, much of the "civilized" world equip their soldiers with 5.56 (around 1300ft lb) to kill people, so I can see why there are suggestions that a .243 (around 1700-2000ft lb) may be over the top for fox!

I shoot fox in a multitude of different situations and always chuckle when people ask what is the best fox calibre.

There isn't one!

I have removed fox with .22lr, .17HMR, .22WMR, .223, .243, .308 and shotguns (and probably a few others), at the time of use each was the BEST tool for the job (although the .308 was marginal).

ATB!

Forums, views, debate...... the .243 has a place for foxing without doubt, but it isn't the tool to use in the farmyard or barn etc when Charlie turns up, and it is wholly unnecessary at anything under about 200 yards, there are plenty of other tools perfectly capable out to that distance.

Over the top.... :hmm: horses for courses and dead is dead.

I can see the debate, much of the "civilized" world equip their soldiers with 5.56 (around 1300ft lb) to kill people, so I can see why there are suggestions that a .243 (around 1700-2000ft lb) may be over the top for fox!

I shoot fox in a multitude of different situations and always chuckle when people ask what is the best fox calibre.

There isn't one!

I have removed fox with .22lr, .17HMR, .22WMR, .223, .243, .308 and shotguns (and probably a few others), at the time of use each was the BEST tool for the job (although the .308 was marginal).

ATB!

In the average situation a 243 is perfect though...have shot foxes from below the high seat right out to the usual ranges and the 243 is probably one of the most common calibers used for everything from crows to red stags.

:good:

Regards,

Gixer

In the average situation a 243 is perfect though...have shot foxes from below the high seat right out to the usual ranges and the 243 is probably one of the most common calibers used for everything from crows to red stags.

:good:

Regards,

Gixer

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

What is the Average, and I suspect everyones average will be different, I have shot more fox with my rimfires than all my centrefires added together.

I deal with most fox under 100 yards, the .243 is totally unnecessary ...this BIG bad boy went down on Thursday with the .22lr (40g Magtech HP Sub), he weighed 20lb on the nose!

Please do not misunderstand me, the .243 is a very useful calibre, but I have a lot to choose from, and do my best to take out the most appropriate tool for the job, the .243 doesn't come out very often for fox, I have taken them at well over 200 yards with the .223!

ATB!

post-20848-0-49645100-1301249827.jpg

post-20848-0-87957600-1301249859.jpg

Edited by Dekers

Well i find the .243" just fine for foxing, it saves having yet another gun with limited scope for use in the cabinet legislation being as it is we need to be mindfull of this. Maybee the most versitle calibre in the UK. only downside is you can get smaller and lighter to carry .22 hornet, .222 and .223. Other than dispatch i wouldn't use a .22 lr or a .17 hmr on fox on humanitarian grounds and there aint many who wouldn't use a .243"

What is over the top anyway? there is no shot you could take safely with a .22 cf that couldn't be taken with the .243" just as well. At certain angles the .243" can still hack it with a 75grn bullet - sometimes this is important to me, i have mates who use the .223's and the like and they certainly do the job but the .243" is the gun for me for foxes and Roe and when required larger deer.

I wouldn't waste .243 rounds simply for Foxing. There are perfectly good .22cf's out there to do the same job at sensible ranges. They recoil less which makes them easier to shoot accurately. If you ever want to shoot Deer then the .243 is the obvious choice, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The .22-250 is pretty much a .243. Too much gun for every day use I think. The .222 is a fantastic round, the .223 the same. I'm actually beginning to have a real liking for the triple recently. A mate of mine shoots one and the accuracy is fantastic. I shot a 48/50 5 shot group with it today at 100 yards. The bull (10 points) was 10mm across, the next ring 30mm. So I got 3 shots into a 10mm circle, in fact through the same hole, and pulled two low by about 5mm. That's Foxes eye accurate, quite an achievement for a factory rifle on a breezy day.

Guys

I'm not trying to kick off another one, I love my .243, but it is a tool which comes out when required.

It is absolutely NOT my first line fox tool, but at times it IS my fox tool of choice!

I have a lot of tools to choose from and I take out what I think is best for each job.

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

Of the two original calibres, 223 is the one to get really. I have Hornet, 222 and 223, and they each have their occasional use. Tbh though, if I had to pick my very best fox tool, it's my 223 CZ 527 with a 52 or 50 gr A-max or V-max bullet. Does the job amazingly well. I like my 222 and tend to use it more as I also shoot rabbits with it, a very versatile rifle.

If I was shooting just foxes, I'd use a 243 assuming my terrain is wide and open with a decent backstop readily available. In those circumstances, it's unbeatable - it's fast and flat and, to borrow an American's term, hits like Thor's hammer. HOWEVER, to do that you have to load it with 55 or 58gr bullets, which means it's then not great for deer.

I had 243 for a while, and it alternated between being a fox gun and a deer gun and never got used for either as a consequence. I stick now with 308 for deer and whichver 22CF for fox and rabbit, seems to work for me.

Well i find the .243" just fine for foxing, it saves having yet another gun with limited scope for use in the cabinet legislation being as it is we need to be mindfull of this. Maybee the most versitle calibre in the UK. only downside is you can get smaller and lighter to carry .22 hornet, .222 and .223.

I have to say my .243 is lighter than my .223 so that reduces that negative point but like you fewer guns makes shooting a hell of a lot cheaper certainly far outweighs the cost of a bit more powder used. You can load the .243 to be very similar to the 22.250 or you can load it to have a lot more oomph depending what you are after. Dekers may have more guns than pairs of boxer shorts but in the real world you don't really need that many. I cover most bases with a HMR and .243 and really don't need anything else at the moment. As a fox gun you just have to decide if you are going to go for deer at any stage. if you are then .243 if not then .22cf in any variant will be fine