What exactly does this bit mean ?

30-6

At the end of my conditions bit - "in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife".

What does the last bit underlined mean exactly ?

It means that if you are managing the land (i.e. shooting critters for the protection of crops and livestock) you can shoot anything that it's lawful to shoot.

In English, you have permission to shoot on the land and manage pest control so you can use your rifles for whatever quarry they're legal to use on. Just another way of them saying .... and any lawful quarry. :good:

Shame my mob don't play fair. :no:

I was thinking that as i wrote it, being granted a certificate but not understanding it fully, so that's why i thought to be a responsible shooter and ask what i didn't understand. It has never been explained to me exactly what the wording means by anyone, and i wouldn't call it basic stuff personally, as each force from what i can see has a different approach to wording.

I understand that i am personally responsible for "assessing the land" if that's what you mean.

Always willing to learn.

I too have this wording in the condition about "Expanding Ammunition" on my conditions. Having looked at this thread it has put "doubt/questions" in my mind so maybe someone with a bit of legal knowledge on shooting affairs could elaborate on what exactly it does mean in laymans terms please or would it be better to call my Firearms Office and ask them to explain it for me? :hmm:

Edited by Frenchieboy

I too have this wording in the condition about "Expanding Ammunition" on my conditions. Having looked at this thread it has put "doubt/questions" in my mind so maybe someone with a bit of legal knowledge on shooting affairs could elaborate on what exactly it does mean in laymans terms please or would it be better to call my Firearms Office and ask them to explain it for me? :hmm:

Well your FEO is unlikely to climb aboard the same moral high horse that some others have :good:

Well your FEO is unlikely to climb aboard the same moral high horse that some others have :good:

I've just spoken to my Firearms Office and even they are not sure on the correct interpretation of this clause so they have advised my to call the Issuing Officer on Monday and he will hopefully be able to give his full interpretaioon of that part of the conditions.

It does strike me as a little odd/questionable that a Firearms Office Manager can not give an explanation of one of the "conditions" on a Firearms Certificate. :hmm:

I will post the outcome when I have it on Monday! :yes:

Frenchiboy

I am appalled that your firearms office are unable to give you a simple explanation for what is quite simply standard wording on fac's.

This condition if read fully and in it's entirety relates to the use of Expanding Ammunition only and does not relate to what you may or may not use your guns for. It is the standard expanding ammunition condition used on fac's.

Quite simply it is an all encompassing wording to cover any and all uses that the law stipulates expanding ammunition may be used for. However as I said this in no way overrides the conditions imposed by the chief constable relating to what you are permitted to shoot with your rifle. These conditions are listed separately.

Charlie

CharlieT, that is basically how I was interpreting it as it is with the condition for "Expanding Ammunition" and not really connected to the rifle usage conditions! It does also (As I said) strike me as a bit unusual for my Firearme Office not to be able to explain it - The young lady I spoke to even went and asked her manager and he could not offer an explanation - One would have thought that this clause, being quite a common/standard one could have been explained by the staff without having to wait to ask the Issuing Officer!

I was really only interested in checking on this as it does seem to be a but of a grey area for some.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Frenchiboy

What hope for the rest of us if the manager is clueless. I can understand some of the girls not knowing, sometimes they are temps and it is after all just a clerks job but the manager not knowing beggers belief.

Charlie

I'm in total agreement! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

OK Guys! I have just spoken to my Firearms Cartificate Issuing Officer and he has explained the condition. What it basically meant is that with that condition you can shoot any other legal quarry with the calibre rifle that it is refering to. The way it was explained to me is that it is now a fairly standard wordine that is attached to the "Expanding Ammunition" condition!

The mystery is now solved and I am happy as I asked for "Any other legal quarry" to be added to my FAC when I sent in for the variation for the 243, so I have the equivilent of what I asked for!

thats wrong frenchie its nothing to do with any legal quarry and has been on my FAC since I had the first one, as Charliet correctly says it is to do with what you can use expanding ammo on but is over ruled by conditions placed on your rifles.

If you have any legal quarry then its simply with the expanding ammo part, I don't have any legal quarry but have exactly the same written under the expanding ammo section as will anyone with a FAC with anything other than target shooting on it.

Frenchie

Believe and take note of what Alex has said.

The wording you refer to is the standard condition for expanding ammo and this wording in one form or another has appeared on my certificate since expanding ammo was made section 5. It ONLY applies to the ammo and most certainly does not and must not be confused with the conditions which relate to your rifles.

As I said before I am appalled that the employees of your licensing department are giving you such blatantly incorrect information. You may be forgiven for not understanding the wording but your firearms team simply have no excuse, all they have to do is to read the words of this condition which say "The certificate holder may possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition, or the missiles of such ammunition, .......etc.........and only use in connection with.....etc."

to understand that this condition only talks about expanding ammo. The additional condition which relates to your rifles are in a separate condition where it states what they may be used for. For heavens sake they must understand those as they are the ones that imposed them !.

Al4x and Charlie T, I have only repeated what I have been told today by the Issuing Officer from my Firearms Office. I do not want to get involved in any arguments about it, I am only repeating what was explained to me. Maybe you have a different interpretation to the one that I have been given but I am happy with that explanation.

Frenchie

Not having a pop at you at all. It's just that the information given to you by the so called "Issuing Officer" is so blatantly wrong and incorrect it's bordering on criminal. Anyone following the advice you have been given and heaven forbid others reading this and following it will put themselves in the position of breaching the conditions of their FAC.

There is nothing to interpret and the expanding ammo condition does not differ force to force, the officer is wrong.

^^^ what al4x said ^^^

If it was to do with any legal quarry why would you have specific species against each caliber as the term any legal quarry would cover that bit would it not ?

If the FLO did say that get it in writing that way you have in effect received permission from the issuing force and you have a cast iron get out of jail free card if it all goes pear shaped

somehow I don't think you'd be getting a letter in the post anytime soon

Edited by adymorris